Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Colic- help plz

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 8:21 pm
My infant shrieks and screams for hours each afternoon. my household is upside down, my nerves are frayed(I gave birth 3 wks ago) and my other kids(all under age 7) are demanding and need attention after school. I feel like im losing my mind.
I went off dairy, am giving Mylanta every six hours, and nothing helps...

For those that have been there, what worked for you?
/is there any way to make it go away? I usually have everything under control and work hard to run a happy loving household and I am watching everything crumble right before my eyes. I am sleep deprived and carry a screaming baby that cant be calmed while doing homework, baths, bedtime... Its just not possible anymore.

Plz share chizzuk and/or tips, products, medications, etc that helped you and your baby through colic.
I am desperate.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 8:23 pm
apparently I had it when I was a baby. My mother said that what worked was when she used to hold me and rub my back. I don't know why!

MMCH

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 8:29 pm
ok first take a big deep breath and repeat this to your self "this too shall pass"

When our second DD2 was born, we were shocked by the screaming, and it threw our lives for a loop!

here are my tips that I learnt
SWADDLE!!!!!!! My baby was swaddled all day and all night until 6 weeks (at that point I only did it at night to teach her btwn daytime sleeping and nighttime sleeping)
Google the 5's on youtube (Dr.Harvey Karp)
Do wtvr works in terms of calming her down, being swaddled and rocked in her carseat (attached to the Snap-N-Go) was THE only thing that calmed her down. (however highly annoying bc I had to do it!!)
Forget about scheduling with feeding- for the first month or two just give her what she wants (youll pay for it later, but it iwll be better for your sanity now)

good luck! im telling you it gets better.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 8:44 pm
Hugs!! I had two with colic and I wont say how Long it lasted but it does go away. Swaddling also helps alot. I found infant probiotics to be a lifesaver with my third right now. No colic! But I still have to be dairy free at 5 months

Reesa

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 8:53 pm
Here's what I learned from experience.
My first few kids were colicky so for my latest birth I treated myself to a baby nurse. The baby was an angel and I was thinking I wasted my money for a "good" baby! Until my nurse took her day off and my Mother and I were drained from a constantly screaming baby. It was like. my other kids all over again!! It took time but I learned that I was sleep depriving my child. The nurse had the newborn sleeping most of the day and all night, waking up just for feedings, changes and bath time. I Subconsciously was trying to get my newborn on a day/nt schedule so I let the baby be up during the day hoping for a nights sleep. I thought a few naps were enough. The baby needs a lot of sleep and not a lot of stimulation in the newborn stage. The feeding and changing takes enough time that they are ready to be put back to sleep afterward. There could be a little up time but try giving your baby more sleep than he's getting now. A lot of that screaming was overstimulation and over-tiredness. Good luck. I know how frustrating it is. I wanted to jump off a roof when I was dealing with this!! I hope my hard lesson will benefit you and anyone else reading this.

cbg

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 9:46 pm
Chamomile tea. Ask your pediatrician first, but this is what helped with my grandchildren.

mochacoffee

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 10:11 pm
A bouncer! My son was also very colicky and we tried everything. I gave him the chamomile tea (pediatrician recommended), gave him probiotics, tried the anti-gas drops. The only thing that really worked for me was putting him in the bouncer and either bouncing it lightly or putting the personal massager on. I ended up sitting with him a lot and lightly bouncing it, but he was so much calmer in there. Something about the movement and the laying position helps their stomachs.

Best of luck.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 11:49 am
bumping for the morning ppl...

thx

dee2

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 3:02 pm
my baby had colic. he is now 4 months and BH he is cutest happiest baby now , but he lit screamed most of the day. I arranged for a teenage girl to help take my other kids out/do an activity with them/ keep them busy so I could breathe abit, and had more help around the house eg another girl came and washed dishes- it was worth it! and knowing that it will stop any day also helped me. telling ppl/getting sympathy from ppl about having a baby who screamed constantly also helped me realise that everyone with a colic baby finds it overwhelming and hard and that I was normal..... good luck....it will pass very soon...

Inspire

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 4:20 pm
I had colicky babies so have thought about this a lot. I read in Halachos of Childbirth that it is dangerous to the baby to nurse when the mother is angry. I often wondered if this is related to colic. Also, it might be worthwhile to monitor sugar intake, if dairy hasn't made a difference. And the "football hold" works for brief periods, sometimes. Hold the baby stomach down on your arm with his head resting on the crook of your bent elbow- Anyway, it usually resolves itself by 4months.

Inspire

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 4:24 pm
Also, this does take a toll on the other kids, it's hard for them to listen to the constant screaming, so let them know you understand, and that some babies are like this, but it will disappear after a few months.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 8:10 pm
op here...

still looking for a solution if anyone has one... we did a week each of Mylanta, zantac. and prevacid with no change. I went off dairy for a week and a half.. no change

Any other products that worked for you?

Mommastuff

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 10:35 pm
did you try..
-going off other gassy foods, like beans, broccoli, etc - and try being off dairy for at least 3 weeks
-putting him on his back and bending his knees up to his chest and extending (like riding a bike)
- carrying him in a sling or baby carrier
-try holding him around his belly, or pressure on another area that would calm him
- chamomile tea - just enough essence to color the water
-swaddle!
-having his sleep on his side and when awake, sitting propped up for a while after he eats
-burping frequently when eating

good luck!

ms5771

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 4:20 am
I'm so, so sorry! Both my kids had horrible colics and cried round-the-clock, and then the worst in the nights of course!! I feel your pain. You can definitely do some things like taking out dairy, but ultimately, there's nothing really to do for real colics. You just have to wait it out!

You can hold your baby sitting on your lap, put your baby's chin in between you thumb and index finger so it's sitting in the crook there, and put your other hand on the baby's back. Then move the baby's upper part of the body up and down so it goes from sitting up to flat/parallel with your lap (bent over forward), and then back up again. You can also lie the baby down and do the feet like a bicycle. These sometimes help relieve a little of the pain during the colicky time.

I would also suggest putting the baby to sleep on the stomach after the colics are winding down (I'm aware of the back is better campaign, I'm not giving any medical advice, I'm telling you what I did).

Other than that, there's not much to do other than walk around with them, rock them, etc. Maybe you can go for a walk outside or something. You can also try putting them on their stomach in the stroller (and buckle them in of course) and rock them or walk around.

Good luck! I know it's SO SO hard. It passes. It may be longer than 3 months, even though they say that's the average (mine went to 4.5 and 3.5 months), but it DOES eventually pass. Though those few months are torture. Just try to enjoy the quiet moments whenever they come, and try to focus on the baby's pain, not on wanting to rip out your hair! It helps deal you deal with the crying a bit.

If youu could take a babysitter so you can just get out from the crying a bit, that would be good for you. I wish I had taken that advice but I'm so bad at taking help so I never did Smile

Last edited by ms5771 on Tue, Mar 10 2015, 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

ms5771

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 4:25 am
Oh and also you can hold your baby outwards with your arm across his/her stomach and the other arm between his/her legs and rock him/her like that. It also helps relieve some of the pain. Just keep trying different things. Sometimes you can find something that will help for a minute but then will stop, and something that didn't work before will all of a sudden work. Or sometimes nothing helps at all and you just have to daven for it to stop already!

eli7

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 6:19 am
My colicky baby did better when I stopped eating eggs (and I agree with those who said to stay off dairy a little longer to see an improvement). "Grapevasser" drops also helped.

Have you checked your latch? Could it be that your baby is getting a lot of air when nursing?

Good luck, it does get better!

chani8

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 7:03 am
Could be your baby is getting overstimulated at that time from all the chaos of the other kids.

Put baby down, in a safe, dark place until the big kids go to bed.

Swaddled, in a baby (infant) swing, in a darkened room, works great. Swinging may calm or overstimulate. You have to see.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics