Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How much should dd be drinking?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 9:15 pm
I've been slowly switching dd over to cows milk. Until now, she's been drinking 4 bottles of formula (5-6oz each) every day. Not BFing. So should I be giving her 4 bottles of cows milk every day? She barely drinks water. How much liquid should she be drinking every day?

anonymrs

Post Mon, Sep 08 2014, 10:06 pm
How old is she?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 11:05 am
14 months

anonymrs

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 12:55 pm
Cow's milk provides little in the way of nutrition. It would probably be best to cut back on the bottles and try to feed her more nutritious food. Of course, discuss it with your pediatrician but drinking 24oz of cow's milk a day is very filling for such a small person and will probably cause her to not eat as well.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 1:29 pm
Now is a good time to transition from bottles to cups. I was told 16-24 oz daily including all dairy products- milk, yogurt and cheese. However, if she isn't eating enough other food, that should be the priority, and cut back on the milk.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 7:50 pm
Thanks. She is eating enough (in my opinion). I've tried giving her a sippy but she isn't taking to it. Maybe I need to try a different brand.
Just to clarify, does the 16-24 oz include milk and other dairy products or is that all liquids and all dairy products?
What else can I give her to drink other than milk when she doesn't like water?
Also, I'm still giving her a bottle of formula at bedtime, which I should probably cut out at this point.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 8:06 pm
16-24 oz is for all dairy products. She should be drinking water besides that, there really is no alternative that you want her getting used to. Try different kinds of cups and different temperatures.

And yeah, definitely try to eliminate milk before naps or bed. A good alternative is to give it right when she wakes up, and then wait a little while to have a meal. Offer water only with all meals and when you are out of the house- don't even bring milk with you when you go out.

ChaniH

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 8:12 pm
I used to put one oz apple juice in 7 oz water and my ds would take it ( he wouldn't take water )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics