Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What kind of gift should I bring to a vort?

perquacky

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 3:18 pm
For a wedding, I would write a check. But I haven't been to many vorts. Do you give housewares? Judaica? Advice, please.

debsey

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 3:19 pm
Depends - what's your relationship to the couple? How much do you want to spend? Are you chipping in with others?

Dolly1

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 3:21 pm
The last few vorts I attended I gave the couple a silver candle lighter (the long ones for shabbos). they are cheap and useful, and there is always something nice to write to it...

perquacky

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 3:23 pm
Let's say it's just me and I'm willing to spend around $50, knowing there'll be a wedding before the year is up.
First cousin's daughter. I don't know the girl well at all.

busydev

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 3:25 pm
I dunno. I didnt get any presents at my vort....

got presents at my shower and some checks with the return cards and maybe a couple at the wedding.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 3:33 pm
At my vort I got havdalah candle, a few salad bowls, cookbook, cake platter, trifle bowl, dish towels, challah board, challah knife, napkin rings and dont remember what else.
Most people gave a check or another larger present before the wedding.

mommyofd1

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 8:32 pm
Housewares. I always see at vorts fancy platters and such all wrapped up on cellophane from a gift store

debsey

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 9:33 pm
I usually give something like a salad bowl or pretty glass pitcher, wrapped up from a gift/housewares type store.
At my vort, I got a cute canister set from my co-workers, a cake platter/teapot/server combo set from my friends (haven't used it yet in 15+ years of marriage, but it's pretty) and a whole host of glassware type gifts.
The gift I appreciated most and still use was an unusually shaped crystal water pitcher. It was the kind of thing I'd never buy but just looks great.
I used to give cookbook/kitchen accessory type combos but then I realized it's too shower-ish........
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics