Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
How much will we spend in Israel?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 10:14 am
My husband and I are planning a trip to Israel this winter. We have 2 kids (will be 2 and 5 when we go), plan to be there about 12 days, and do have a lot of family to stay with, at least for Shabbos. I'm on top of flight costs, but I'm trying to figure out about how much money we can expect to spend (and therefore should have available) while we're there.

We're not planning to run around TOO much because of the kids, so we expect to do a lot of things around Yerushalayim. My husband does want to go to the Dead Sea and Masada, which we'd like to turn into an overnight - but we're ok with a cheap hostel or something otherwise low budget.

Any ideas on how much we should allow, or ways to calculate more accurately?

Dev80

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 10:22 am
These are the obvious costs I can think of:
Food - are you eating out, eating by family, making your own food?
Cell Phones
Transportation - busses, cabs, rental car?
Aside from your overnight are you staying by family or do you need a place to stay for some of the time?
What type of activities did you have in mind? I'm definitely not the expert on things to do around J'lm, others can chime in but are you looking for simple activities like different parks, the kotel, the zoo or are you hoping to do more exciting things like ATVing (not that that would be so simple with kids Smile). I think you need to give us a little more so we can help you figure out what things cost

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 10:25 am
Cant help you with a budget, but get health insurance for everyone. It is really inexpensive. A visit to a doctor, stitches, emergency room visit... can hurt you financially.

Dev80

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 10:28 am
Some American insurances do cover things that happen abroad so that's something to check with your insurance (even though the plans here are reasonable you can get $1 a day per person)

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 10:32 am
OP here. We'll be looking for things like parks, the zoo, kid-friendly museums, or day trips. No rental car except maybe for the trip to the Dead Sea. Otherwise I expect to take busses, maybe the occasional cab.

Foodwise, it depends on whether we stay in a place that allows cooking or not. The relatives are near Yerushalayim but not in it, so I think we'll want accommodation during the week - I want to look into AirBnb actually.

We'll want two cell phones, I have to check into that also... We're looking at flight insurance that covers costs of cancelled or otherwise messed up travel plans as well as tourism related issues. We have normal health and renters insurance that will deal with illness or property issues, but with little kids and the political situation, I figured it's smart to get extra coverage, especially for the flights. Any recommended providers?

nechyf

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 1:04 pm
I may be able to recommend a a short-term rental if you are interested. Pm me with your travel dates

jkw

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 1:27 pm
Don't know if it is still in print, but there was a great book:
KIDS LOVE ISRAEL, ISRAEL LOVES KIDS which we used when our kids were young.

Enjoy! and I agree about the insurance. You never know.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 7:10 pm
nechyf wrote:
I may be able to recommend a a short-term rental if you are interested. Pm me with your travel dates

Cool, thanks!

Bumping for the evening crowd - anyone else have any useful info?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics