Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to enforce consequences?

wife2

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 2:12 pm
I believe in giving natural consequences to my toddler. For example, if she spills something or dumps it out, she cleans it up. If she throws something, she can't use that object. If she colors on her hands or body, she can't color anymore.

How do I enforce it? For example, I say pick up all the cheerios you dumped off your highchair or something similar. She says no, I keep saying to do it. I offer to do it with her. She refuses. She is not even 2 yet and I don't feel comfortable with time out or punishments at such a young age when they don't get why you are being so strict with them. She will ask for something else and I will say you can't have this thing or do this activity until you clean up the cheerios.

How do you make sure very little kids listen. What can you do to enforce consequences at this age?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 2:19 pm
I have the same with my 2 year old. I hold his arm (gently) and guide his hand to pick up whatever I want him to. Once he's holding it, I take him to the garbage bin and make him put it in.

The first time I did this he went mad (I wanted him to pick up his squished banana or something from the floor) but by now he expects it. If he doesn't pick something up that I've asked him to, he waits for me to hold his hand and 'help' him. Definitely works!

sped

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 2:38 pm
I find that sometimes distraction works ' talk about something else and then go back to what she needs to do. Also, if I show her that she needs to do X and then we will do Y, she usually listens. The problems arise when my 4 yo gangs up with her...

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 2:51 pm
Not even two? Totally unrealistic. Just do it together with her if you want her to recognize the outcome. But honestly you should just wait for her to mature a bit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics