Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are Starbucks Frappuccino kosher?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 8:13 pm
I can't seem to find a clear answer online. Thanks!

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 8:14 pm
No. The base they use used to be kosher but is no longer.

This page has a link to recommended Starbucks beverages, from a reliable kashrus organization http://www.crcweb.org/starbucks_overview.php

Last edited by MaBelleVie on Wed, Sep 10 2014, 8:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 8:15 pm
Mayb call the star-k or OU

Everyone will have a different opinion on this site Smile

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 10:51 pm
Do you mean the pre-packaged one or in the store? Last time I checked the pre-packaged one was kosher, I forgot the name of the certifying rabbi but it was someone who DH and his buddies in the industry said was reliable, which is good enough for me because usually they're outlawing everything I want Twisted Evil

rikki!

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:27 am
seeker wrote:
Do you mean the pre-packaged one or in the store? Last time I checked the pre-packaged one was kosher, I forgot the name of the certifying rabbi but it was someone who DH and his buddies in the industry said was reliable, which is good enough for me because usually they're outlawing everything I want Twisted Evil

What is pre packaged frappuccino anyway? I was also wondering what your DH's buddies say about regular frappuccino in terms of kashrut. I always order mine w soy milk and believe it's ok. Am I in the wrong?

pesek zman

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:45 am
rikki! wrote:
What is pre packaged frappuccino anyway? I was also wondering what your DH's buddies say about regular frappuccino in terms of kashrut. I always order mine w soy milk and believe it's ok. Am I in the wrong?

Prepackaged frapuccino are in bottles, often sold in supermarkets but also in the Starbucks stores. They're more like creamy iced coffee than anything else

The problem (kashrut wise) with the frappuchino is with the mix (not the milk, which as long as you are not exclusively CY, wouldn't be a problem, so getting soy doesn't solve anything) the mix that they use to make frappuchino isn't kosher. (It actually uses crushed bugs) a way around it is to order a drink (say, a caramel macchiato) and ask them to blend it WITH ice (as opposed to over ice) and the effect will be similar

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:54 am
rikki! wrote:

Pre-packaged frappucinos are the ones sold in bottles.
The ones made fresh in Starbucks are made from a mix that is not kosher. So no matter what kind of mill you add, it is still not kosher.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:58 am
Kosherstarbucks on Facebook:

https://m.facebook.com/kosherstarbucks

It gives a little more detailed answer than the kosherstarbucks website does. They say that some frappichino drinks are "kosher by ingredients but not certified kosher". Look at the link for more info.

rikki!

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 8:39 am
amother wrote:
Kosherstarbucks on Facebook:

https://m.facebook.com/kosherstarbucks

It gives a little more detailed answer than the kosherstarbucks website does. They say that some frappichino drinks are "kosher by ingredients but not certified kosher". Look at the link for more info.

That's really helpful- Thanks!!!

samantha87

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:58 am
amother wrote:
I can't seem to find a clear answer online. Thanks!

Just look at the calorie count. It will cure your craving forever.

mille

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 3:25 pm
Just want to point out a misconception. Starbucks frappuccino mix does NOT contain crushed bugs. As stated, it is simply not supervised and certified, but nothing about the mix is innately non kosher.

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 4:26 pm
According to this site, all Starbucks Frap mixes (made in-store, not the pre-bottled versions) are NOT recommended.

http://kosherstarbucks.com/lis.....ory/5

Not sure if these guys are part of a kashrut organization but you can contact them through the website to clarify.

rikki!

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 6:44 pm
samantha87 wrote:
Just look at the calorie count. It will cure your craving forever.

You can always order coffee frap with sugar free syrups, less (soy) milk, and no whip.

anonymrs

Post Fri, May 29 2015, 1:48 pm
kosherstarbucks.com is NOT part of any kashrus organization. I know who they are but have no idea how they conclude what is or is not kosher. They are not rabbis nor are they backed by any rabbis. I'm not trying to put them down, just letting you all know who you are taking information from.

mille

Post Sat, May 30 2015, 7:56 pm
anonymrs wrote:
kosherstarbucks.com is NOT part of any kashrus organization. I know who they are but have no idea how they conclude what is or is not kosher. They are not rabbis nor are they backed by any rabbis. I'm not trying to put them down, just letting you all know who you are taking information from.

As far as I know, it's based on the OU's "starbucks" guide (NOT the cRc's!) and the fact that many starbucks products DO have a hechsher. The OU holds that there's no issue with the dishwashers or whatever so steamed milk, etc is fine as long as you are ok with chalav stam. Most of the syrups have an OU, but some don't. They check the actual bottles and whatever and just report what has a hechsher and what doesn't. Which is why the frappuccinos are considered not kosher according to them, because the mix has no hechsher.

Honestly, they are doing exactly what anyone else would do in terms of figuring out if sometihng was kosher. You check for a hechsher on a product, and if it has one, it's kosher.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen