Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Bris/baby naming

amother

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 1:35 pm
We are expecting boy/girl twins, B"H. Does everyone always name the girls right away even though we wait to name the boys on their bris? Could we possibly do a bris/baby naming at the same time? I feel weird having a name for her while he's still nameless. I also think it would be fun to have the simcha for both of them when we do his bris, IY"H. Thoughts?

pesek zman

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 1:37 pm
Isn't it possible that the bris would fall in a day that the Torah isn't being read (and therefore a baby girl can't be named?) I would name be girl in the first Shabbos after the birth and the boy (obviously) at the bris

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 1:40 pm
Plan to have them on a Shabbos, then the naming and Bris could be on the same day.

I know that many have an Inyan to wait until Shabbos to name a girl, but if the Bris is on a day that they read the Torah anyway you could probably do it the day of the Bris. If not you are out of luck!

But your DH can speak about both names at the Seuda.

There is probably an Inyan to have a Kiddush for the girl, so make sure to do that!

B'Shaah Tova!

spring13

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 2:06 pm
I like that idea, to name them together, but it's obviously not a common thing to do. I don't think there's an issue of halacha in terms of when you name a girl though. AYLOR?

I name my girls on Shabbos because I feel bad that they get less hoopla over their birth than boys do and figure the least I can do is have them named when the most possible people are there to hear it.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 2:36 pm
If the bris falls on a day when the Torah is not read, you could just name the girl before and not share the name with anyone until the bris. Plenty of people call their babies their names privately before the bris or baby naming anyways.

busydev

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 3:20 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
If the bris falls on a day when the Torah is not read, you could just name the girl before and not share the name with anyone until the bris. Plenty of people call their babies their names privately before the bris or baby naming anyways.

your not really supposed to use the name verbally before the child is named. we always have a nickname till the naming.

OP are you planning on making a kiddush for her (even if not the first few weeks) If yes make the bris about him and the kiddush about her.

Bshaa tovah

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 4:26 pm
busydev wrote:
your not really supposed to use the name verbally before the child is named. we always have a nickname till the naming.

OP are you planning on making a kiddush for her (even if not the first few weeks) If yes make the bris about him and the kiddush about her.

Bshaa tovah

I was recommending giving the baby girl a name at an official naming ceremony when the Torah is read, but not share it with others until the bris...

agreer

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 4:36 pm
Just a practical warning - sometimes twins are small. I know of 2 people who had boy-girl twins and didn't give their boys the bris until 5-6 weeks! They both named their baby girls right away.

Unless I was having a shabbos bris (and kiddush for the girlie), I would name the baby girl separately, make the bris, then have a girl's kiddush the next shabbos.

WOW! Enjoy all those simchas! That must be so, so exciting. B'shaa tova, and feel good!

busydev

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 4:39 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
I was recommending giving the baby girl a name at an official naming ceremony when the Torah is read, but not share it with others until the bris...

I understood your first sentence. that is def an indea.. tho everyone at shul will most likely hear the name...

I was responding to your second sentence
Quote:
Plenty of people call their babies their names privately before the bris or baby naming anyways.

rac429

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 5:55 pm
My son didn't have a Bris for 5 weeks and we just called him Baby B until his Bris and my daughter we named the day after she was born because it happened to be Rosh Chodesh. They were both in the NICU for 12 days and the nurses just called my son Baby B and my daughter by her name. My daughter was talked about a lot at the Shalom Zachor since she had a name. When my son had his Bris everyone was talking about him. I made my daughter a kiddush when she was two cause that's just how it happened.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:38 am
Here's a Ner Yisrael musmach and mohel who says you can give both the boy and the girl their name at the same event, but of course ask your own rabbi.

http://www.brismilah.org/_faqs.php
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more