Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Moral dilemma--what would you do?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 7:32 am
Target had a deal for getting a $20 (I think) gift card if you buy 3 boxes of diapers. I bought two of one size and one of the next size up. I didn't realize they were different prices and that wouldn't allow the gift card to go through. The cashier decided to ring them all up as the smaller and cheaper size saying it's only a dollar and change and it's no big deal. Would you have let her do it? I questioned her and she said do you want the gift card or not? Do you need these sizes or do you want a third box of the same? I didn't want to fight and she was trying to be helpful so I let her do it. Then I felt kind of guilty. Ok, very guilty. DH says not to worry because it is her problem not mine. What do you think? What would you do?

gp2.0

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 8:26 am
Don't feel bad, the cashier isn't in cahoots with you to steal from target, I'm sure it was pre approved by her manager. Big companies always let stuff like this slide, it just shows that your cashier was competent and aware of company policy.

suzyq

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:59 am
gp2.0 wrote:
Don't feel bad, the cashier isn't in cahoots with you to steal from target, I'm sure it was pre approved by her manager. Big companies always let stuff like this slide, it just shows that your cashier was competent and aware of company policy.

Are you kidding me? No, I'm sure it was NOT approved by her manager and companies don't let this kind of thing slide. This is theft, on the employee's part really. Companies have loss prevention departments for things like this. I would have just bought the diapers I needed, or I would have gotten three of the same size. I would not have let it go, it's not honest.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:11 pm
suzyq wrote:
Are you kidding me? No, I'm sure it was NOT approved by her manager and companies don't let this kind of thing slide. This is theft, on the employee's part really. Companies have loss prevention departments for things like this. I would have just bought the diapers I needed, or I would have gotten three of the same size. I would not have let it go, it's not honest.

you don't know whether it was approved. some companies, like target, have VERY broad customer service rules, and this type of thing may in fact be one of them

(also, loss prevention is a nicer phrase for "stopping shoplifters". not sure if you knew that, so not meaning to be snarky.)

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:17 pm
I think youre fine. I would not feel guilty. Enjoy the gift card!

debsey

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:42 pm
I wouldn't worry about it. The cashier is probably given leeway to occasionally make an error, and she probably did it more for her own convenience than you.
If you want to make a kiddush Hashem, and do extra (above and beyond the call of duty) write a letter to Target and ask them. I'm sure they will say you can keep it.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:57 pm
I would not have allowed it in the first place without first speaking to a supervisor and ensuring it is acceptable. Companies do give leeway like this to their customers, but I doubt that cashiers have the right to use their own judgment here: it's really for a manager, etc. I would also go back to the store, but I wouldn't blame the cashier. I would just say that I realized the mistake when I got home, because although the cashier may very well be doing things against policy, I don't usually like to get involved in situations like that unless we're talking about dangerous practices. They can use their own judgment regarding the competency and honesty of the cashier.

suzyq

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:59 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
you don't know whether it was approved. some companies, like target, have VERY broad customer service rules, and this type of thing may in fact be one of them

(also, loss prevention is a nicer phrase for "stopping shoplifters". not sure if you knew that, so not meaning to be snarky.)

I actually worked for the corporate loss prevention department of a large retail chain in the past and while stopping shoplifters was part of what we did, the majority of our work was stopping employee theft.

imasinger

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 1:03 pm
AyLOR, it's a good idea in situations like this, but I think that since you were honest and brought the question to a representative of the store (the cashier), and she said it was fine, you don't have to worry. In a matter of a few dollars, I would think it is not necessary to go over the cashier's head and make sure she made the right decision. That then takes management's time, which may cost the company more than those few dollars.

Now, if it were a $200 difference, it might be appropriate to check into it further.

But that's JMO. (I am the type who will always return to pay for the merchandise at the bottom of the cart that was missed, but this is different.) Seriously, ask the shaila.

chani8

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 2:53 pm
You totally don't need to worry about it from a halachic POV.

mandr

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 2:58 pm
Too much holier-than-thou-ness in this post. Stop thinking into it and just accept it. It's fine halachically and morally. That said, it's always nice to make a kiddush hashem when possible.

These coupons are programmed into the system so if it wouldn't go through, it wouldn't go through. You can't fool it (unless you study couponology) so if it passed, it's fine.

sequoia

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 3:23 pm
mandr wrote:
Too much holier-than-thou-ness in this post.

Why are you being rude and attacking someone who genuinely wants to do the right thing?

mandr

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 3:30 pm
sequoia wrote:
Why are you being rude and attacking someone who genuinely wants to do the right thing?

I don't care if the OP wants to do the right thing. I believe she does. It's the other comments that seem a bit much.

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 4:15 pm
if the cashier would have asked her to get another package of diapers of the right size, or gone to get it for her, there would have been a long line forming and disgruntled customers. I think the cashier made the right call.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 4:17 pm
chani8 wrote:
You totally don't need to worry about it from a halachic POV.

Not the OP here, but can you explain why please?

I am actually in a similar situation and am planning to return an item that the cashier knowingly sold to me at the price of a similar but much cheaper item. I walked out feeling very uncomfortable about it, and I decided to return it.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 5:00 pm
I don't think it's your problem. The cashier said it's ok. You brought it to her attention. You did your part.

momsprince

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 5:11 pm
amother wrote:
Not the OP here, but can you explain why please?

I am actually in a similar situation and am planning to return an item that the cashier knowingly sold to me at the price of a similar but much cheaper item. I walked out feeling very uncomfortable about it, and I decided to return it.
Every situation is different but in this case I'm assuming it's considered a "mistake done through a [gentile]" but ask your lor if in doubt.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics