Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Girls elementary school in Flatbush
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 9:08 pm
amother wrote:
In terms of the spectrum of schools in Flatbush, Bnos Yisroel is definitely one of the most yeshivish. I live in a neighborhood that sends primarily to Bnos Yisroel and BY of 18th Ave, both very yeshivish (and fantastic!) schools. BYA is probably more middle road, but still closer to yeshivish. It is nearly impossible to get into, they refused to even send me an application (and I called the day after succos!). My sister is applying for my niece this year and they told them flat out that they have 2 spots available with many applicants. They get filled up pretty quickly with siblings and alumni. Don't worry, though, you're not missing out on too much, they have a reputation for being cold. So does Bais Yaakov D'rav Meir, and they have gotten JAPier, like a ritzier crowd. Prospect is a big mix, but like others said, a lot of families to the left that have TV's, occasional mothers that don't cover hair, etc.

Here are 3 newer schools: Lev BY - has a warm reputation, younger families, a lot of Marine Park students and some will have TV and such. Mediocre education, not so fantastic. Midwood BY - also warm reputation, big mix of families, very accepting and into giving the girls a warm and loving environment. I don't know how stable they are I've heard such rumors, so check it out. Ohel Sarah - don't know too much about but I know several more open-minded families that send there. They might have a TV and dress more liberally in terms of tznius. I think the education is good as well, but look into it, not too sure.

BTW, most of these schools start at Kindergarten and your 2.5 yr old is going to nursery next year, so some of them may not be applicable yet. Do your homework in finding out how early you need to call for an application.

Thanks so much for all this info. This sounds a lot like what I've been hearing and why I feel so unsure about which route to take. I heard that some schools start at kindergarten, so then I would leave dd in her current playgroup/nursery. But it seems like I can't do my homework early enough.
I heard that because Prospect has become such a large mix, some mothers are unsure about which kids houses are ok to send their daughter to.

For those that wanted to know more about me: I don't really mind if some kids in school have tv. We currently do (although I wonder for how much longer), I do cover my hair, but I don't necessarily wear stockings all the time. DH and I both have a frum background. I like to dress my kids well, without being into the latest trends/brand names. You know, I never had to define myself in this context before...hmmm...what else about me?

Is there a school that is warm and has a good education?

Sorry for the long post. Thank you all.

1tiredmom

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 9:25 pm
My DD went to Prospect Park Yeshiva, and we are all very happy with her education, and prep. for life. They were always considered a "middle of the road" yeshiva, but recently their reputation has become even more "modern", whatever that means. I did hear that Rabbi Kellman has addressed this issue by designating classes as "a t.v." or "non tv" tract. I don't know how that will play out, exactly.

queenofhearts515

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 11:03 pm
I worked at Prospect in the preschool a number of years ago, so I may be able to help you. If you have specific questions, I can try to answer them for you!

Ashrei

Post Sat, Nov 10 2012, 10:19 pm
I'm the Masores mom from a few posts back. I readyour description about yourself and just wanted to mention Masores does ask parents to have a non-tv home, and that internet access is filtered/monitored/etc.

From what I know about Lev, it might be right for you. The ppl I know who send there don't have TV's, but I think I read a post on imamother that they might allow it - I don't mean to harp on the fact that you have a TV since you mentioned you're not sure how much longer you'll have it. Actually, my best friend had a TV when she first started sending to Prospect, and then got rid of it. From what I understand, Prospect has "No TV classes," for those like-minded families.

Also a nice thing about Lev is, according to my one friend, they have a healthy food policy. I'm under the impression that it's not perfect, but a big step in the right direction...

amother

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 9:01 pm
Hi all. Op (from a year ago) here. Since some of the schools do not have nursery, I kept dd in the nursery/Playgroup she was in, but now it's really time to figure this out. Of course I did some research. So here are updates and questions. FYI-- as I had mentioned, I didn't know how much longer we would have a tv, it's gone. Also, just so you know a little more about us...DS attends Tiferes Yisroel.

Bya: good education, yes or no? Warm?

Drav Meir: I heard that Rabbi Levy's attitude is "my way or the highway". For those that send there, what has your experience been? If you have an issue, a concern, is there anyone to talk to?

Ashrei, what ultimately made you decide on masores for your dd over the other school you mentioned? Are you happy with your decision?

Any newbies to prospect? How's the crowd?

Lev: how's the education?

Thanks all!! (Sorry for the long post)

Mem88

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:19 pm
Im in middle of doing research for my dd who is 2, and I found this very informative thread. Thanks to you all for this info!
Im looking for a school that is warm, has good education, caring staff, non-TV, only clean movies or no movies at all, positive environment and NOT into jappiness and fashion.
From what I read here- its seems like Masores would be right EXCEPT for the JAPPiness and fashion thing- is that a huge deal over there? We dont have lots of money, and I despise the competition of brand names and stuff. We bought some really cute outfits from Walmart for yuntif for my 2 yr old, and in shul I see all these 2 yr olds in 75$ outfits from the Jewish stores, and that makes me sick.
Yes, I know I'll have to conform to reality somewhat but I really dont want that kind of competition and focus on physicality.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:22 pm
thanku wrote:
Im in middle of doing research for my dd who is 2, and I found this very informative thread. Thanks to you all for this info!
Im looking for a school that is warm, has good education, caring staff, non-TV, only clean movies or no movies at all, positive environment and NOT into jappiness and fashion.
From what I read here- its seems like Masores would be right EXCEPT for the JAPPiness and fashion thing- is that a huge deal over there? We dont have lots of money, and I despise the competition of brand names and stuff. We bought some really cute outfits from Walmart for yuntif for my 2 yr old, and in shul I see all these 2 yr olds in 75$ outfits from the Jewish stores, and that makes me sick.
Yes, I know I'll have to conform to reality somewhat but I really dont want that kind of competition and focus on physicality.

Then you should not send to Mesores. It's not fair for your daughter.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 8:36 am
I just want to add one school not on your list that fits your description extremely well is BYBP. They have a very large Flatbush crowd going there these days and sounds just like what you are looking for.

Mem88

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 10:57 pm
So in terms of my hashkafik level Im just not BYBP type, I wear Israeli mitpachot and long skirts, cover my keews and hair fully, but dress more casual. I wear a tsnius sheitel for like shul or weddings and shobbos sometimes. My husband wears a hat on shobbos not on weekday. He was in kollel and is now working. Im thinking of Lev BY- what do you guys think about that? Will I be the only parent not into watching movies everyday? I mean, I just feel like its detrimental to healthy development. On the other hand I dont want my kids feeling left out from conversation etc,

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 9:44 pm
bumping this up.. going to apply to schools soon. Please tell me everything you can about BYBP, BYA and bnos yisrael.
Im looking for a school with a good judaic studies and secular studies (I dont want unneccesary memorization of things that arent in the least useful), one that instills in the girls a love for yiddishkeit, good middos and being a mentch. Also a school where the families are simple down-to-earth people. Any of these fit all these criteria?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 12:24 am
Anyone? also, do any of these schools have upk?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 11:10 am
amother wrote:
bumping this up.. going to apply to schools soon. Please tell me everything you can about BYBP, BYA and bnos yisrael.
Im looking for a school with a good judaic studies and secular studies (I dont want unneccesary memorization of things that arent in the least useful), one that instills in the girls a love for yiddishkeit, good middos and being a mentch. Also a school where the families are simple down-to-earth people. Any of these fit all these criteria?

I went to BYA (elementary school) and the education is excellent. Mrs. Blau (Hebrew principal) has a clear vision and very high standards. The English principal is newer, so I don't want to comment on that, but secular studies were good in my time. In HS and seminary I found that the BYA girls were better prepared. I didn't even realize how much yedios we accummulated with her Parsha program and how there is an above average focus on understanding Hebrew and Dikduk which helps for meforshim later on. However, there is a focus somewhat on memorization (teitch, a rigorous Parsha program, Pirkei Avos etc.) In retrospect, I appreciate how much I gained from it, but if that's not what you are looking for, then you would do better in Bnos Yisroel which I hear is a more relaxed atmosphere.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 10:37 pm
amother wrote:
I went to BYA (elementary school) and the education is excellent. Mrs. Blau (Hebrew principal) has a clear vision and very high standards. The English principal is newer, so I don't want to comment on that, but secular studies were good in my time. In HS and seminary I found that the BYA girls were better prepared. I didn't even realize how much yedios we accummulated with her Parsha program and how there is an above average focus on understanding Hebrew and Dikduk which helps for meforshim later on. However, there is a focus somewhat on memorization (teitch, a rigorous Parsha program, Pirkei Avos etc.) In retrospect, I appreciate how much I gained from it, but if that's not what you are looking for, then you would do better in Bnos Yisroel which I hear is a more relaxed atmosphere.

Ditto - good summary, and fully agree, from a fellow BYA alumnus!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics