Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do you put on makeup ON Shabbos or Yom Tov?
Previous  1  2  3

chani8

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 8:58 am
gp2.0 wrote:
I have no idea how the inside of a cell phone works, but I do know that some things are designated as muktzah even if they are not oiver on a Malacha. For example we learned that a painting hanging on the wall is muktzah because it is not necessary for Shabbos.

A cell phone however may have other issues, such as generating electric current or signals which would fall under the same reason why we can't turn on a light switch.

Muktza is a good one, except when one's siddur is their phone. Wink

The light switch is all about fires, because real light bulbs make tiny fires, however past that, there is no fire involved. Florescent lights do not make fire. Some want to poskin that the electrical current is 'final hammer blow' but DS argues (don't worry, he's shomer shobbos) that if that is so, why can we open and close the water taps?

imasoftov

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 9:07 am
amother wrote:
I love living a sheltered life. Im still getting over the fact that frum kids text on Shabbos...

That story came out in 2011. And will probably have as long and healthy a life as any secular urban legend.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 9:14 am
imasoftov wrote:
That story came out in 2011. And will probably have as long and healthy a life as any secular urban legend.

What makes you think it's a secular urban legend?

imasoftov

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 9:23 am
superdanni wrote:
What makes you think it's a secular urban legend?

I don't.

Twinster

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 9:26 am
chani8 wrote:
The mascara and eye liner are a problem to apply on shobbos, but as long as you scrap the eye shadow powder loose before shobbos, and use a brush not a sponge, what is the problem??

According to what I've read about shabbos makeup, color may only be apped if powdered (with a brush on clean dry skin) AND not long lasting. Meaning, it depends on the ingredients as well (oil and other stuff make it more permanent). However with face powder that's used for covering (not coloring), the opinion is more lenient.

monseychick

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 9:54 am
I dont mean to nit pick.. But how come numerous threads about women not fasting minor tanaisim or violating other halachos according to some opinions or even questioning halacho are shut down immediately..

But this thread is given a pass.. Mods care to explain that...

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 10:10 am
I had a Rabbi in seminary who flat out refused to teach the halachos of makeup on Shabbos to his classes because he knew that girls wouldn't listen and he didn't want them to be mechalel shabbos on purpose once they knew it's wrong because the issur is that much greater.

I remember the first time I came across this in seminary-- I saw girls from more right wing schools putting on full faces of makeup on Shabbos I was a little confused. While it's something I don't do, I COMPLETELY understand the yetzer hara and it's a huge struggle not to. So no judgement.

Emily Thorne

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 2:42 pm
amother wrote:
I'm guessing you grew up, and are still surrounded now in/by a right wing crowd if this is something you haven't seen and never heard of. Yes, I put makeup on on Shabbos and yom tov.

what does this have with right wing?? it has to do with frum and not frum! not everything in halacha you can twist for your convenience. not everything.

cbg

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 3:24 pm
slk36 wrote:
I second the 24 hour make-up idea. I've had great success with it...I've even had lipstick last through a 2 day Yom Tov into Shabbos. You just have to be really careful how you sleep; no face-plants in the pillow etc, lol.

What brand lipstick do you use. Absolutely nothing stays on me.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics