Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Spinoff... Everyone's a size 2?

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 2:26 pm
I went online to buy a bra yesterday. 36C is now being sold in Lane Bryant/Cacique, a plus-sized shop.

I'm 5'5, 150. I wear what these days is an 8 (I said this on the other thread). My clothing is plus sized?

(No offense to anyone plus-sized, but since when is 36C is a large bra?)

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 2:30 pm
I see more and more larger bra sizes in random reguler shops...

Barbara

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
I went online to buy a bra yesterday. 36C is now being sold in Lane Bryant/Cacique, a plus-sized shop.

I'm 5'5, 150. I wear what these days is an 8 (I said this on the other thread). My clothing is plus sized?

(No offense to anyone plus-sized, but since when is 36C is a large bra?)

(1) Why do you care that your size bra is sold at Lane Bryant?

(2) Not to scare you, but lots of plus size stores, like Kiyonna, start at a size 10. So gain a couple of pounds, and you'll be one of us fatties whom you clearly don't want to be associated with.

Enjoy your Shabbat dinner.

mirror

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 3:02 pm
Woman within (a plus-sized catalog) starts at size 8. Since when is size 8 plus-sized?

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 3:28 pm
I grew up in the fashion industry. Back then there was no size 0. 2 was the smallest and very few wore it. Normal non-plus-sized stores sold up to size 14, though the majority of inventory was 4-12. Plus size began at size 16. Today there is a size 00 (I guess the people who used to be 2's?) and plus size is starting as low as size 8 or 10. I can't figure it out. And I don't care to. I buy what fits and looks good and if the number on the tag bothers me I cut it right out.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 3:45 pm
Barbara wrote:

(2) Not to scare you, but lots of plus size stores, like Kiyonna, start at a size 10. So gain a couple of pounds, and you'll be one of us fatties whom you clearly don't want to be associated with.

I don't care that my size bra is at Lane Bryant. I was trying to prove the point that the sizes have changed, and that what was once considered "average" is now considered plus.

I never used the word "fatty", not once. I specifically couched this to make sure people didn't think there was anything negative about being plus-sized. I made that effort because I know this is a sensitive topic and I wanted people to be sure I wasn't insulting them. Clearly, you have no problem insulting me.

Enjoy your Shabbas dinner as well.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 3:49 pm
Barbara wrote:

Im a 38 DDD and proud of it.. But yep 150 lbs for your frame ... You dont even need to gain weight, you are already a FATTY...

Pass the ice cream, dear LOL

Barbara

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 4:01 pm
amother wrote:
Im a 38 DDD and proud of it.. But yep 150 lbs for your frame ... You dont even need to gain weight, you are already a FATTY...

Why are you proud of your chest size? Unless, of course, having big ta-tas is your greatest accomplishment in life.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 4:06 pm
Dont be jealous..... Barbara LOL

Barbara

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 4:12 pm
amother wrote:
Dont be jealous..... Barbara LOL

Not at all. Haven't you seen my acting debut?

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 4:19 pm
amother wrote:
if the number on the tag bothers me I cut it right out.

a woman after mine own heart. nobody but you will ever see the size tag, so don't let it influence your buying decision.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 4:26 pm
Wow.... Barbara... You are really Jerry Seinfeld ...cool ..

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 4:58 pm
My friend's husband saw a tag that said "L". "Oh," says he, "that's Little, right?" (My friend is tall and thin, I can't imagine in what universe she'd wear a Large anyhow...)

Then there was the lady whose DH would buy her a dress every year, sized 8. She would go and exchange it for size 18.
(edit to add: as I think further, I think he knew. He would actually make sure there was a size 18 before he bought the 8. But evidently he thought he was giving a nice message. Or a wistful one?)

Which some people thought was sweet, that he saw her as size 8. And others were upset, as it showed he didn't accept her for who she was.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 5:13 pm
amother wrote:
My friend's husband saw a tag that said "L". "Oh," says he, "that's Little, right?" (My friend is tall and thin, I can't imagine in what universe she'd wear a Large anyhow...)

Then there was the lady whose DH would buy her a dress every year, sized 8. She would go and exchange it for size 18.

Which some people thought was sweet, that he saw her as size 8. And others were upset, as it showed he didn't accept her for who she was.

Men's clothing comes in s-m-l too... Surely he knew what L stands for. Why is it even a bad thing to wear size L?

Bruria

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 5:29 pm
amother wrote:

Or, the husband was simply clueless, as so many men are!Very Happy

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 6:20 pm
The smallest I have ever been is 36C, I have always looked at myself as large on top (I was a size 4 with 36C and I've been a 10 and a 36C)

ora_43

Post Sat, Sep 13 2014, 4:43 pm
amother wrote:
I grew up in the fashion industry. Back then there was no size 0. 2 was the smallest and very few wore it. Normal non-plus-sized stores sold up to size 14, though the majority of inventory was 4-12. Plus size began at size 16. Today there is a size 00 (I guess the people who used to be 2's?) and plus size is starting as low as size 8 or 10. I can't figure it out. And I don't care to. I buy what fits and looks good and if the number on the tag bothers me I cut it right out.

I don't know if we grew up at the same time, but back when I was growing up, a lot of smaller women (like, 5'0" and 90 pounds) had a really hard time finding clothing made for adults in their size. So maybe it's not just that all the sizes shifted down (although they definitely did, IME), but also that clothes companies realized there was a market there.

IOW, 00 is the people who used to have to shop in "juniors."

rachel91

Post Sat, Sep 13 2014, 5:58 pm
amother wrote:

shock rude!

amother

Post Sat, Sep 13 2014, 10:43 pm
zaq wrote:
a woman after mine own heart. nobody but you will ever see the size tag, so don't let it influence your buying decision.

And companies vary like crazy. I just went shopping on Friday and bought several skirts and tops and sizes varied wildly.

One top was a 10, one was a Medium, one a Large (I am usually a large/12ish on top)

Bottoms ranged from 12, 14 and 16 and Large and all fit me well. The 16 was slightly but slightly bigger (sat a little lower on my hips. I am usually about a 14 or XL but a bunch of the XL's didn't even fit me in the store, too tight and showed everything.

Size really doesn't count. Btw, I am tall and broad and I do have to lose about 15 lbs probably but I look very good when dressed up bh, if I do say so myself Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics