Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
I feel like a horrible mother

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 5:16 am
I have B"H 4 children ages 1.5-9yrs old. The last vacation we took without kids was 8 yrs ago when my oldest was 1. Maybe I feel overwhelmed now from the summer, but I get so agitated with my kids a lot. I feel like I just don't want to do it any more. I just want to be left alone sometimes and my kids never leave me alone. They cry and complain and drive me crazy! I know it's normal for kids to get this reaction from their mothers in particular, but what can I do to help me stop feeling like this?! It makes me so upset and cry sometimes. help!

imasinger

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 8:44 am
You sound like a pretty normal mother to me.

Do you have any regular time for yourself? (Like 15 min to 1 hour a day, could be when kids are asleep)?

Do you have any regular time alone with DH? Like a regular date night or other1 - 2 hour/week block of time when you are awake and not with kids or working?

If not, it is no wonder you are feeling overwhelmed. Can you enlist DH? Hire sitters?

smss

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 10:20 am
I feel exactly like you do OP and I only have 2 kids.

Hug

smss

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 11:23 am
just to add- if you are an introvert and especially if you are also a "N" (if you're familiar with myers-briggs...) this is COMPLETELY normal. you will need breaks from your kids & it's not because you don't love them enough, it's because you identify with their emotions too much & get overstimulated from too much talking & noise. you need to take those breaks (talking to myself here...) or it won't be good for anyone.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 11:41 am
1. Get enough sleep
2. Eat enough, and often
3. Try to reduce other stress in your life

Otherwise, parenting is a million times harder.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 3:44 am
smss, what's Meyers briggs? sounds like something I should read about, b/c what you described as "N" really does describe ME! I get so involved in their emotions and care so much about my kids that I think that it's overwhelming me. I try to keep myself out of things when I can, but my kids are so cranky with me that it drives me absolutely crazy! at this point right now I can't even fathom having any more kids, although I do want to have more children but I'm afraid at how I'm going to be able to cope with it all. My last child was (is) so snuggly and clingy that I don't know if I have enough room in my heart and head for another one! I do have some time here and there while my 1.5 yo sleeps in the morning-but now he's pushing it off till mid morning and I do have evenings but I feel like it's not enough. I don't get to go anywhere unless my baby is with me. I'm trying to find a part time gan in my area to put him 2x/week for a few hours to give me some time to myself to go shopping or to do things around the house without having to be interrupted 15 times. My DH and I are going out on a vacation for a few days after the chaggim for our 10th anniversary and my parents are going to watch the kids. so hopefully all this will help me feel better about things. I just feel so different as a person than I did when I was single. I miss being just plain happy and positive and "carefree" about life. I feel so down and serious all the time. Sad

soproud

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 7:29 am
I relate to a lot of what you- it really sounds normal.
If you feel like you're about to lose it, close your bedroom door behind you for a couple minutes and breathe.
Putting on music can help make a relaxed, happy atmosphere.
Good luck!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 7:55 am
also - OP - try and exercise. Total mood buster, life enhancer. Helped me alot.

chani8

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 9:32 am
I'm an introverted "N", so I totally understand.

That said, could it be you're bored? What's stimulating you?

And, what do you have to look forward to in your life??

You haven't had a vacation, so is there a way to take mini-vacations without the kids, while they are in school?

smss

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 12:18 pm
amother wrote:
smss, what's Meyers briggs? sounds like something I should read about, b/c what you described as "N" really does describe ME! I get so involved in their emotions and care so much about my kids that I think that it's overwhelming me. I try to keep myself out of things when I can, but my kids are so cranky with me that it drives me absolutely crazy! at this point right now I can't even fathom having any more kids, although I do want to have more children but I'm afraid at how I'm going to be able to cope with it all. My last child was (is) so snuggly and clingy that I don't know if I have enough room in my heart and head for another one! I do have some time here and there while my 1.5 yo sleeps in the morning-but now he's pushing it off till mid morning and I do have evenings but I feel like it's not enough. I don't get to go anywhere unless my baby is with me. I'm trying to find a part time gan in my area to put him 2x/week for a few hours to give me some time to myself to go shopping or to do things around the house without having to be interrupted 15 times. My DH and I are going out on a vacation for a few days after the chaggim for our 10th anniversary and my parents are going to watch the kids. so hopefully all this will help me feel better about things. I just feel so different as a person than I did when I was single. I miss being just plain happy and positive and "carefree" about life. I feel so down and serious all the time. Sad

it's a theory of personality types. miriam adahan has a great book on it- http://www.amazon.com/Apprecia.....64852 she says that for a NF, one child can feel like 5.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:21 pm
ohhhh, is this the number thing?! my roommated back in college were obsessed with this book! I never read it but maybe I should! thanks.

I think that life has just caught up with me. I thought that I could keep living the way I always did, eventhough my family was changing. But I think that I have to take more care of myself now and make myself take breaks more often, more outings with DH etc....

It's helpful to hear that I am not the only one feeling this way and that this is a normal feeling. So thank you to everyone for all the encouragement and advice!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics