Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Could UK imamothers explain re Scotland

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 6:02 pm
I am not clear about the process. How would they become independent? What would this entail? Scotland would become a wholly separate country with its own military, etc?

itssimplyme

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 8:57 pm
Basically yeah! My father was born in Edinburgh, Scotland. Scottish people are really lovely. Very genuine people. And it's a nice place. I can understand them wanting to be separate from the UK! I might like to move there one day.

Last edited by itssimplyme on Sun, Sep 14 2014, 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

sequoia

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:12 am
What do you think will happen? How will they vote? Also, why are they letting kids vote???

imasoftov

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:19 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S....._2014

Brownies

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:20 am
From what I have been hearing, the details have really not been ironed out yet. However in principle, yes, they would be a completely independent country. They may have to even apply again to join the EU as a new country. They would prefer to stay with the pound as a currency but that's not certain as the rest of the Uk is not necessarily keen on having a currency union where they can't control financial decisions made by the other country, considering what has happened with the Euro. They would I believe keep the Queen as Head of State. As to why they are letting kids vote - most people believe that's because younger people are more likely to vote for independence and Alex Salmond, the Scottish first minister who is pushing for independence , managed to negotiate this with David Cameron.

Personally I think it will be close but ultimately they will vote against splitting from the UK.

(As a side note, Scotland as an independent country would probably not be the most friendly towards Israel/Jews)

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:10 am
They think they can make it alone. Money, oil etc seems to be mentioned a lot.

If its hard to understand why, equate it with the State of Israel. I'm guessing fervent Scottish nationalists feel as strongly as Zionists do about independence.

I don't think it will pass. A supermarket chain just announced food prices will go up in an independent Scotland. That will not go down well.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:45 am
itssimplyme wrote:
Basically yeah! My father was born in Edinburgh, Scotland. Scottish people are really lovely. Very genuine people. And it's a nice place. I can understand them wanting to be separate from the UK!

Hey, some of my best friends are lovely, genuine English people Tongue Out

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:48 am
I've met some really nice Scottish people (non Jewish, no Jews).
I've met some adorable English people, Jewish and not Jewish, and also repeatedly had issues with a certain kind of Jewish English ones.
I hope if they separate it goes peaceful.

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:53 am
They can keep their weegies LOL

Seriously, no one agrees about much, currency, oil, military (the UK nuclear weapons and biggest military ships etc are kept on a naval base in Scotland), economy, benefits and health care (Scotland has one and a half times the health funding as the rest of the uk excluding London because of massive areas of deprivation and illheath, plus extra freebies like free prescriptions, free personal care etc), national debt ownership, EU membership, immigration policy etc etc etc

I don't know many Londoners who are too bothered about it. London is practically it's own state anyway, it is so different economically and ethnically from the rest of the uk.

sequoia

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:32 pm
Deep-fried Mars bars!

itssimplyme

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:48 pm
sequoia wrote:
What do you think will happen? How will they vote? Also, why are they letting kids vote???

it's really close, alex salmond seems to think they are going to vote yes. It will be very close either way. The uk government will probably be really disappointed if they leave because it will take away from their powers personally I want them to vote yes!! I think it's a really nice country and can't blame them wanting to be out of the uk and on their own. I think it's hilarious the way alex salmond keeps saying the government's involvement is a sign of panic, I find him so funny.
although I also am not sure how pro israel they will be as another lady said, as even though there have been Jews in scotland for many years he seems to be quite left wing.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 6:51 pm
sequoia wrote:
How would they become independent? What would this entail? Scotland would become a wholly separate country with its own military, etc?

Because UK agreed to let Scottish residents have referendum several years ago.
The devolution has been going for more than a decade. Scotland has its own educational systems, NHS, own parliament. IF the Yes (for independence) votes gain majority they will.

Three areas that remain uncertain are issue of defense and border control (highly unlikely Scotland will have its own territorial army though there are tricky issues, for example UK will no longer be able to use the big shipyards around Glasgow to build its naval vessels and Scotland would want to phase out some military base), currency (options are own currency, pound-pegged own currency, unilateral adaptation of sterling, or currency union--Salmond has been very weak in presenting this), and EU membership (EU membership needs to be voted in as a new country, let's see how Spain would possibly block to avoid its own Catalonia and Basque separatists following Scotland).

There are a number of independent countries (mostly small) that rely on its larger neighbours to provide border control and defense. The bottom line, I don't think Her Majesty needs to bring her passport to spend her x-mas holiday at Balmoral...

It's not really kids voting--the difference is only 2 years, 16 vs 18 for general elections.

General consensus was No votes will take majority until recently, though the race is allegedly neck-to-neck until last week. There are more noises coming from businesses how independent Scotland would be negative (some banks and insurers possibly moving legal presence to south of border). Check GBP exchange rate--recent weakening against almost all currencies as a result of uncertainties.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics