Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Does any company make clothing for short people?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:02 pm
I am 5" and size xl. I have tried petite from many company's and still have to hem the sleeves and often the bottom as well.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:05 pm
I love this topic since I am built like you!

I have done well with kohls but of course often have to do minor alterations.

Someone posted here about a website that sews the size measurements you need. I think it's called e-shakti

spring13

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 1:55 pm
I'm the same size as you and have issues even finding xl petites, some brands don't go past L if they carry petites at all. Hmph!

I got a dress and top from eshakti.com recently with custom sizing and they came out very well (pp was probably talking about me, I'm sort of obsessed at the moment and spewing about it everywhere). You can measure yourself or have someone do it for you, and then order a dress to fit your personal specifications. Other than a small bit of extra room in the chest (easily fixed by myself in this case due to the style of the dress), both pieces fit really well. I'm used to having to worry about my hips poking out awkwardly because I have a short torso and my hips are very full, but this dress skims over my shape perfectly.

They're more expensive than I usually go for (I'm cheap and not rich), but not bad overall, probably less than you'd pay for something of comparable style in a frum store. They have a lot of sales and coupons, I got them buy one get one free plus another $20 off. You can lengthen the hem of almost all of their dresses and skirts, and lengthen the sleeves of most as well. I didn't play with the styles of what I got so far, but I did order another dress last night with a longer hem and sleeves, I hope it turns out to fit as well as the things I already bought did.

A couple of notes:
What they call "below the knee" is just barely below the knee on me, so if you're customizing something go for midcalf length. Going by reviews, what they call 3/4 sleeves is just below the elbow, so choose "bracelet length" if you want a little more room there. Better to have a couple of minor hemming jobs than to have to add material or something. And I knocked my chest size down an inch for the second dress I ordered, a lot of reviews of different items seemed to indicate that they cut fairly generously there - and I'm not small, so yeah.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 2:09 pm
Talbots does a pretty good job with petites. They even have a petite plus department, which is rare. They are not cheap, but you can do fairly well on sale or at an outlet store.

Otherwise, it's important to have a good seamstress that you can trust. I bring clothing to my seamstress and she tells me if it's worth altering. I just factor the need for alterations into the price of the clothing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics