Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
What to do with frozen jachnun

yaeli83

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 4:35 am
I have some in the freezer and don't know how to make it! Anyone know?

mrsERK

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 5:18 am
I put it in cholent!

yummydd

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 5:35 am
I know people who put it in the cholent.

yaeli83

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 6:19 am
sounds good I'll try that for shabbos, I assume you wrap it in foil and put it in? we have lots to use before pesach. anyone know how I cook it and what to serve it w/ during the week?

mrsERK

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 6:34 am
I dont put it in foil or anything - just stick a chunk into the cholent with the rest of the stuff - like you would a kishke. Sometimes I cut it up into smaller pieces before I put it in but if it is really frozen its easier to just stick the whole piece in.
Enjoy!

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 11:23 am
I usually wrap in foil and just bake overnight either in the oven or on a plata. You can have it for breakfast with hard boiled eggs. Traditional condiments are tomato dip (chopped/pureed fresh tomato, chopped onion and zchug optional) and hilbe (green, frothy dip made from fenugreek seeds). Yum!

yummydd

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 11:25 am
I have never actually tasted it, just wodering what is it like in the cholent?

mrsERK

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 11:27 am
yummydd wrote:
I have never actually tasted it, just wodering what is it like in the cholent?

Well its basically dough so it makes the cholent a bit thicker and has nice tasty doughy bits. I cant really describe it... but it tastes fantastic!

cbash

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 2:41 pm
I put it in the cholent without wrapping it in foil and it's really good! But then it's messy to eat it with your fingers (the proper way to eat it!) so I usually wrap some matza or stale bread in foil and place in sauce pan or any pot (depending how much jachnun you're making) - you do this to prevent it from burning - and place the frozen jachnun on the foil and cover it and cook on 350 for around an hour or overnight on around 200. It's delicious and I even altered my recipe to make it much healthier and it's still really good!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus