Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Wearing color in chareidi circles

4dds

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 2:09 pm
I am sick SICK of wearing all black (blah)

I live in a chassidishe community is Israel but am chutznikit and sick of looking faded in all black.

I'm looking for ideas to add color while still being an eidel maidel?

WastingTime

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 2:18 pm
Nowadays there is lots of colors out there. I live in RBS and see lots of chassideshe women from Rama Bet wearing tasteful but fashionable clothes, with color. I think most colors can still have the aidel maidel if they are not too loud. I think the general look of an outfit has much to do with accessories- shoes, headcovering, jewelry. Although in many circles skirts are either black brown navy or gray, a colored top is not "loud" unless its very bright.

debsey

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 3:46 pm
4dds wrote:
I am sick SICK of wearing all black (blah)

I live in a chassidishe community is Israel but am chutznikit and sick of looking faded in all black.

I'm looking for ideas to add color while still being an eidel maidel?

It really depends where you live. Here in Lakewood, I'm seeing a lot of high school teachers pairing color with neutrals (I'm saying HS teachers because they have to be very careful how they dress!)
So for example, a neutral colored blazer (maybe beige) with some flowers on it, and a beige colored skirt. The color is there, but the overwhelming majority is the beige.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 4:03 pm
debsey wrote:
It really depends where you live. Here in Lakewood, I'm seeing a lot of high school teachers pairing color with neutrals (I'm saying HS teachers because they have to be very careful how they dress!)
So for example, a neutral colored blazer (maybe beige) with some flowers on it, and a beige colored skirt. The color is there, but the overwhelming majority is the beige.

ouch!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 4:10 pm
I see plenty of Satmar women wearing color in the States.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 6:05 pm
I started wearing color long before everyone else did. I got sick of unrelieved black. I started with one purple sweater with everything else black. When nothing happened, I continued. . I hardly wear black.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:38 pm
If you think you can pull it off without getting put in cherem, start with small blocks of bright color on black, such as vivid collar and cuffs, brightly-colored trim, or in winter, gloves and scarves in cheerful hues. Then you can get a little bolder with colored blouses or sweaters. If you introduce color gradually, your neighbors' eyes will adjust slowly. If you sew, you could be even sneakier by making jackets with vividly contrasting linings. I'm envisioning a black silky Chanel-type jacket with fuchsia lining. Yum!

Or not. You'll never know till you try.

ETA if they excommunicate you for the fuchsia-lined jacket, send it my way. With the blouse that you made to match.

Last edited by zaq on Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jeanette

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:43 pm
amother wrote:
I started wearing color long before everyone else did. I got sick of unrelieved black. I started with one purple sweater with everything else black. When nothing happened, I continued. . I hardly wear black.

I never stopped...

And what did you think would "happen"?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:26 pm
amother wrote:

Eh, you probably weren't born when I started wearing color Tongue Out

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:29 pm
Jeanette wrote:
I never stopped...

And what did you think would "happen"?

I thought maybe I wouldn't be as accepted or seen as not as frum.

Jeanette

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:48 pm
amother wrote:
I thought maybe I wouldn't be as accepted or seen as not as frum.

wow, it's really incredible the peer pressure that drives people to do insane things.

but this whole black craze wasn't around 5-10 years ago. So people weren't as frum then?

It wasn't THAT long ago that I used to go into BP to shop and didn't find rows upon rows of black suits....

Dina_B613

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:53 pm
Start conservative. Try forest green (that is definitely NOT a splashy color), navy, dark purple, brown, and royal blue.

I agree also about neutrals - beige or light pink. You could also try a brighter shell with a more conservative top.

I'm not familiar with your community - so I have no idea what would "work" societally, but I am familiar with dark colors and wear them often.

Maya

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:57 pm
I'm always baffled that people think the black craze started as a frumkeit issue. It didn't. It started because it was slimming, matched to everything, and simplified a wardrobe. People liked its simplicity. Nothing to do with tznius.

Jeanette

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:01 pm
Maya wrote:
I'm always baffled that people think the black craze started as a frumkeit issue. It didn't. It started because it was slimming, matched to everything, and simplified a wardrobe. People liked its simplicity. Nothing to do with tznius.

What's odd is that it became SO pervasive and stuck around for so long.

It might make sense to have a few black items in your wardrobe, for the reasons you mentioned. But to have nothing but black in your closet? To go to a store and see nothing but rows and rows of black suits?

Also, the slimming power of black is greatly exaggerated. How slimming an outfit is depends a lot more on fit and angle than on color.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:05 pm
There was a letter in dds' school weekly newsletter from a very proud mother to the principal, saying that when she went into a local frum clothing store with her daughter, they saw all the colorful clothing and her daughter said "this is not a tznius store for us to shop in". They then left the store. I was shocked to read it.
I will never forget when my oldest dd was little and I went to a frum clothing store and everything was black. I walked out. Why would I put black on a little kid??? I'm thrilled these days to see color in the frum stores. I myself wear mostly color, and yeah, I could use the slimming effects of black.
Not only was the mother proud, but the school was also proud. What is wrong with these people?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:22 pm
A few years ago, when a whole family of bride/groom would come in to Goldy Breier for custom gowns, she'd ask: "Ok, so what color black are we doing?" LOL

sequoia

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:34 pm
Color is good, especially if you're pale. If you're more robust and have a high color, all black might look elegant. If you're pale, all black = night of the living dead.

Though outside of summer I tend to wear darker colors -- purple, green, brown. Most of my skirts are black. But in the summer I wear lots of pink, white, etc.

Btw, this idea that black is automatically slimming has led to such hideous outfits. You have to look at how the garment sits on your body, if it's the correct size, if it defines (or creates Very Happy ) your waist. Boxy jackets and midi skirts won't be slimming regardless of color.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics