Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Shabbos in an Hour -- Possible?

tante_feige

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:23 pm
I have no time to cook Shabbos this week... can those of you who prepare a complete Shabbos (appetizer + main + salad + side + dessert) in an hour please post your menus/tips? I did both a site and Google search, and neither gave me any ideas that my family's likely to enjoy.

Thank you so much for your help!

smss

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:25 pm
fri nt - gefilte fish, chicken with sauce, rice in oven, green beans with garlic, bought ice cream for dessert
shabbos day - cholent & salad

oliveoil

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:45 pm
Does everything need to be prepared and cooked in 1 hour? Or do you have 1 hour for prep and then can leave things cooking for longer?

elaela

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:50 pm
store bought challos

smoked salmon or tuna salad/ gefilte fish, chumus, bought dips, cut up fresh veggis

veggi soup (cut up and saute onions/veggis or pumpkin, add parve cream, soup mix /spices and blend) serve with croutons or balsamic vinegar etc...

chicken pieces (any) : brush with honey/oil, add herbs and spices and fry in oven for an our while you prepare all the other food. you can also add baby potatoes or cook rice/ferfel.

or fast alternative: mix minced beef, spices, eggs and mazzahmeal , form patties and fry 3 minutes from every side- yummy and easy. serve them on a plate on lettuce and decorate with veggis

icecream / muffins or cut up fruit (for desert)

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:56 pm
Baked Gefilte fish or cold soup like gazpacho

Chicken/rice/mushrooms cooked in the crockpot or chicken/potatoes/canned artichoke hearts in the crockpot or a quick cooking meat like steak or London broil

Simple spinach salad or splurge on a bag of checked lettuce

Fruit or bought ice cream for dessert

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:56 pm
tante_feige wrote:
I have no time to cook Shabbos this week... can those of you who prepare a complete Shabbos (appetizer + main + salad + side + dessert) in an hour please post your menus/tips? I did both a site and Google search, and neither gave me any ideas that my family's likely to enjoy.

Thank you so much for your help!

For Friday night you can do a menu of

lemon garlic salmon
cabbage salad
teriyaki breaded chicken cutlets
roasted baby red potatoes
cinnamon baked apples

You preheat your oven to 400. Then prep all of the above. Place them all in the oven and pull each one out as they are ready. (salmon and chicken 20 minutes, potatoes and apples 40 minutes.)

For Shabbos day lunch you can layer all ingredients in the crockpot, season, and turn to LOW on Friday morning/afternoon. Add a bagged lettuce and grape tomato salad drizzled with store bought dressing and you are good to go.

If you need recipes please let me know.

tante_feige

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:03 pm
Thank you for all of the great ideas!

To clarify, one hour of prep time. It is fine for items to remain in the oven longer so long as they can all cook at the same time.

nyer1

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:06 pm
my easiest

I haven't been doing soup - not in the mood for it until it's actually cold enough

for friday night:
put gefilte fish in the pan - sprinkle paprika and onion powder on top. cover and bake on 350 for 1.5 to 2 hours

chicken bottoms- mix duck sauce and bbq sauce, pour on chicken - cover and bake on 350 for about 2 hours

any sautéed or mixed stir fry veggie or roasted veggies in a pan

dessert - cut up fruit and sorbet

for shabbos day:
big salad and dips
chicken cutlets - coat each cutlet with mayo and spices - cover and bake on 350 for about .5 hour
leftover sauteed veggies
rice

.... or, I generally make kugels in small tins and on a busy week I have a variety of things I can just 'take out'

penguin

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:23 pm
Quote:
lemon garlic salmon
cabbage salad
cinnamon baked apples

You preheat your oven to 400. Then prep all of the above. Place them all in the oven and pull each one out as they are ready. (salmon and chicken 20 minutes, potatoes and apples 40 minutes.)
WARNING: Please check with your LOR - I don't think you should put fish and chicken in the same oven unless one is very well covered.

spring13

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:28 pm
Melon appetizer - or buy a few packages of frozen kibbeh and bourekas, heat and serve with hummus, matbucha, etc.
Put a whole chicken in a pan, surround with cute little potatoes, drizzle with spices and some olive oil and heave it into the oven for a while.
Lettuce+thin apple slices+storebought sugared walnuts or pecans+sliced celery+craisins+simple vinaigrette made with apple cider vinegar+oil+a bit of sugar+a pinch of cinnamon
Duncan Hines brownies enhanced with chocolate chips or sprinkles

morah

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:34 pm
I do it all the time. I make chicken with veggies in one pan with sauce. Rice on the stove- season, add in some scallions the last few minutes of cooking to jazz it up. Cholent for lunch. Bagged salad for appetizer. Dessert- pareve ice cream and fresh fruit. All of this can be done in 30 minutes (not including cooking time).

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:35 pm
penguin wrote:
Quote:
lemon garlic salmon
cabbage salad
cinnamon baked apples

WARNING: Please check with your LOR - I don't think you should put fish and chicken in the same oven unless one is very well covered.
You are correct, sorry I did not think of that.

You can easily bake one then the other separately as long as the oven walls are wiped clean of any spills in between.

devo1982

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:02 pm
Do a dish in the crockpot ahead of time?

chaos

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:39 pm
Ruchi Koval's post on how to make Shabbat dinner in an hour:

http://www.outoftheorthobox.co......html

yOungM0mmy

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 5:23 am
I have done this several times as a cooking demonstration, and it's all prepped and cooked within an hour - prep time takes approx 40 minutes, if that!
Salmon (I usually do small squares) with ketchup, honey, soy sauce, let sit for 20 minutes, bake 20 minutes. Sesame noodles - cook angel hair pasta (3 mins), drain, mix with soy sauce, oil and sugar, sprinkle with sesame noodles before serving. Olive dip - jar olives, garlic powder/chopped garlic, and mayo to taste - blend with stick blender.

Chicken soup - in pressure cooker it takes about 45 minutes. chicken bones/wings, 2 onions, peeled carrots and a chunk of butternut squash, salt, pepper, garlic powder.

rice in the oven - 2 cups rice, 3 tbsp soup mix, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp oil, 4 c boiling water. mix, cover, bake 1 hour.
green beans in the oven - frozen green beans, equal parts soy sauce, brown sugar, half oil, cover and bake 20-30 minutes.
chicken on stovetop - skinned chicken, brown tops in paprika and garlic powder. Turn over, pour over duck sauce, water and chilli flakes, cover and cook till tender.

dessert - ice cream and homemade crunch (margarine, brown sugar, rice crispies) or choc mousse pie (takes minutes to make, a few hours to set). bring whip to a boil. crack 2 eggs into a blender, pour whip over, turn on and pour in a bag of choc chips, let it run until chips all melted. Pour into pie crust and chill.

pickle321

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 6:39 am
Fri night:
Chicken- sprinkle paprika and garlic powder and then cover with duck sauce
You can also slice potatoes and put in the same pan or cook rice underneath
Deli roll- smear ketchup and mustard on puff pastry put deli on roll it up cut slices in it and bake
Soup I usually have in the freezer ( I make one big pot every 3 weeks and divide it into 3 and freeze)
If I don't have soup in freezer I make it thurs night. But u can make it Friday also I put chicken in pot with a bunch if onions and some carrots and thin noodles lots of garlic powder and chicken soup consommé boil for 2 hrs
When I don't have time I usually skip kugel
I never make fish or salad

U can also put whole cloves of garlic in the chicken it's really yumm

Sometimes I slice potatoes thin put them in aluminum pan and then make a mixture of flour soup consommé and boiling water and pour it over the potatoes comes out reallly good

And buy challa and desserts

Hope this helps!!

pickle321

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 6:41 am
Forgot about lunch

Just make chulent in crockpot and stick in half the potato kugel heat up extra deli roll shabbos morning on crockpot or hot plate
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus