Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Does former boss know how long I collect unemployment?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 10:25 am
Does my former boss know for how long I am collecting unemployment? Does she get notification from the state on a weekly/monthly basis that I am still collecting money?
ETA - I live in New Jersey

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 10:54 am
Sounds like you want to work and still collect.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 11:06 am
amother wrote:
Sounds like you want to work and still collect.

I cannot see anything in the OP's post that would suggest this. additionally, you're implying she's doing something illegal, and doing so under "amother" which is against the rules (even though nobody follows this rule).

this time I really did edit for clarity

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 11:22 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
I cannot see anything in the OP's post that would suggest this. additionally, you're implying she's doing something illegal, and doing so under "amother" which is against the rules (even though nobody follows this rule).

this time I really did edit for clarity

Then why else would someone need to ask this question if not to avoid the truth in some way?

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
Then why else would someone need to ask this question if not to avoid the truth in some way?

Maybe she's embarrassed to be collecting unemployment? I'm not saying that she should be embarrassed, but there are those who are.....

ariellabella

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 11:37 am
Maybe because it's embarrassing for her for people to know how long she's out of work.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 11:52 am
I worked in HR and I was notified when previous employees got on and off of unemployment. But this was in FL and each state may do it differently.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 12:26 pm
amother wrote:
Does my former boss know for how long I am collecting unemployment? Does she get notification from the state on a weekly/monthly basis that I am still collecting money?
ETA - I live in New Jersey
yes, she gets periodic notices.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 12:26 pm
I think in most states the former employer would know. Whatever your situation, play it 100% straight. Employers have to pay a lot for unemployment claims and it can be a real headache for small businesses. Claiming unemployment benefits when the employer knows you're not really entitled will almost always result in a less than great reference.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics