Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Bakery Sweet Rolls

wanderer

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 6:17 pm
I go crazy for the sweet rolls from the bakery. I don't really know how to describe the taste/texture, but they're delicious! Very Happy I've found them in every bakery in Brooklyn. Wink
Does anyone have a recipe for those, so that I could try making my own at home?

bashinda

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 7:14 pm
are you talking about the ones with the crumb topping? (just trying to clarify so maybe someone can point you to the right recipe)

I figure you need to try some sort of sweet dough and then maybe use the crumb topping from a babka recipe. Not sure if that would get you exactly what you want.

Those are SO good though. And they sell them now in my neighborhood. It's only a matter of time until I succumb...

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 3:04 am
If anyone has a recipe, I would LOVE to try and bake them. I've never seen them here!! I remember buying them in upstate NY and they were sooo good!

wanderer

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 4:30 am
Yep, Bashinda, that's what I mean... Smile Recipes anyone?

bashinda

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 7:53 am
I'll ask on a jewish food board I'm on and if I get a good answer I'll, IY"H, post it here.

bigmomma

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 1:16 pm
Bashinda, At which bakery in Brooklyn can you get good sweet rolls (and you don't mean cinammin danish do you or just a sweetish dough with crumb topping, right?)

wanderer

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 1:48 pm
bigmomma wrote:
Bashinda, At which bakery in Brooklyn can you get good sweet rolls (and you don't mean cinammin danish do you or just a sweetish dough with crumb topping, right?)

I've seen them all over Brooklyn. They're usually one of the first items to be sold out.

anonmommy

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 2:20 pm
omy I remember those fialkoff sweet rolls!! I would LOVE to see a recipe. thanks

msym

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 5:39 pm
schriebers bakery in brooklyn sells them Ave M and east 5th, as well as the one on M and Nostrand ave
in the mountains - gombos bakery in south fallsburg makes yummy rolls(bring me some when you get Wink )

bashinda

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 6:01 pm
Weiss's usually has them. I mean a sweet roll with a streusel / crumb like typing on top. Now Kingston Bakeshop carries them. This is extremely dangerous for me!

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 6:55 pm
I used to get them at Ostrivitzky's (sp?) on J, but they didn't make them in the summer Crying and only on Wednesday, Thursday, and maybe Friday.

debsters1101

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 7:14 pm
ohhhhhh fialkov sweet rolls. shame on you for making me drool. I'm going to ruin my keyboard
;-)

AGINY

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 12:42 pm
Does anyone have a recipe for these sweet rolls? I want to bake some to break the fast on.

TIA

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 6:31 pm
I know this is too late for today probably, but I think there was a recipe a long time ago in the Mishpacha magazine for sweet rolls. I think I wrote it down. If anyone is interested I can check and type it up.

mominlkwd

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 6:39 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
I know this is too late for today probably, but I think there was a recipe a long time ago in the Mishpacha magazine for sweet rolls. I think I wrote it down. If anyone is interested I can check and type it up.

I'd definitely be interested if it's not to much trouble. Thanks

AGINY

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 7:44 pm
I actually found a recipe online, tweeked it a little and it was delicious.

2cups milk (ricedream)
1/4 cup butter (smart balance or oil)
heat both till hot and butter melts

add in 1/2 c. sugar
1 tbsp yeast
2 eggs
vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
5 cups flour (plus more if needed)

mix with dough hook or kneed by hand until smooth but still slightly sticky.

cover with damp towl, allow to rise until doubled in volume.

punch down, break into 12 and tie into knots. put 6 each on 2 cookie sheets.

cover with damp towel.

when doubled again, brush with egg wash and sprinkle on crumb topping made up of

1 c flour
1/4 cup oil/butter/marg.
3/4 c. brown sugar.

bake on 350 for around 20-25 mintues until baked through but do not over bake.

enjoy!
They tasted exactly like the store bought.

NativeMom

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 8:10 pm
debsters1101 wrote:
ohhhhhh fialkov sweet rolls. shame on you for making me drool. I'm going to ruin my keyboard
;-)

I just broke my fast on one! Split it with my mother-in law, we both love them Wink I'm always tempted to buy a bunch and take them home because we can't get anything like them where I live but I stop myself because they prob wouldn't last a day in my house

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 8:52 pm
Found it. It's from a mishpacha a long time ago, not sure when exactly.
Here goes:

Sweet Rolls

2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
3/4 cup orange juice (warm or lukewarm)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 - 3 1/2 cups flour
dash of salt
2 T oil for greasing bowl
1 - 2 egg whites

dissolve yeast in orange juice. Add sugar. On low speed, add eggs and 1/2 cup flour. Mix until just combined. Sprinkle another 1/2 cup flour on the surface of the dough.
With floured hands, remove the dough and transfer to a work surface. (It will be sticky, don't add flour.) Knead dough until smooth. Shape into a ball. Place the dough ball into an oiled bowl. Cover it. Let it rise for 2 hours.
Divide the dough into 12 parts. Form each part into a ball or knot. Place them on a lined baking sheet and cover. Let rise until it doubles (about 1 1/2 - 2 hours).
Preheat oven to 350.
Brush each egg with beaten egg white. Top generously with crumb topping. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.

crumb topping:

1/4 cup confectioner sugar
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour

Mix sugars and flour. Add oil. Mix with fingers to form crumbs.

I never tried this yet. Sounds delicious but very time consuming. Good luck!
If anyone tries it, let me know how it comes out

yo'ma

Post Sat, May 14 2011, 5:30 pm
Anybody, besides aginy, make either of these recipes? How did they come out?

yo'ma

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 1:56 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
Found it. It's from a mishpacha a long time ago, not sure when exactly.
Here goes:

Sweet Rolls

2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
3/4 cup orange juice (warm or lukewarm)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 - 3 1/2 cups flour
dash of salt
2 T oil for greasing bowl
1 - 2 egg whites

dissolve yeast in orange juice. Add sugar. On low speed, add eggs and 1/2 cup flour. Mix until just combined. Sprinkle another 1/2 cup flour on the surface of the dough.
With floured hands, remove the dough and transfer to a work surface. (It will be sticky, don't add flour.) Knead dough until smooth. Shape into a ball. Place the dough ball into an oiled bowl. Cover it. Let it rise for 2 hours.
Divide the dough into 12 parts. Form each part into a ball or knot. Place them on a lined baking sheet and cover. Let rise until it doubles (about 1 1/2 - 2 hours).
Preheat oven to 350.
Brush each egg roll with beaten egg white. Top generously with crumb topping. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.

crumb topping:

1/4 cup confectioner sugar
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour

Mix sugars and flour. Add oil. Mix with fingers to form crumbs.

I never tried this yet. Sounds delicious but very time consuming. Good luck!
If anyone tries it, let me know how it comes out

I made these today and while they don't taste like ones I've had from bakeries, they were good. I bolded and crossed out (and changed/added) the mistakes, if anyone else is interested.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins