Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Molluscum advice!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 10:16 am
Please help! I never heard of this before. My 6 year old dd just got diagnosed with molluscum! How do I keep it from spreading (both on her and to other kids)? How can she use the toilet without making it a vector for contagion if she has bumps on her legs? Will covering the bumps with liquid bandaid help? How will she manage in school? I also have a newborn and some of my own skin issues and am on prednisone for them and am a little worried for myself too. Has anyone else dealt with this successfully? My doctor just says to leave it alone and it'll go away.

Miri1

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 11:39 am
I was able to prevent the spread to my other kids by:
1) making sure my son wore long pajamas (not shorts) - this prevents it spreading back and forth between the legs.
2) he was the last in the bath every evening - doc told me that there's no need to wash the tub, by the next day it is fine for the other kids to bathe in the same tub.
3) no sharing towels (and change his regularly).

Good question about the toilet seat - this never occurred to me, but it didn't spread to anyone else.

It really is generally a harmless thing, and adults don't usually catch it. Did you ask the doctor about you being on prednisone? You may be more susceptible.

Another approach is to have them frozen off. You may need to do this a few times, as they can come back. But this would help him to stop spreading it from one spot to another on his own body.
I did this for my son after he had it for a while, and it did eventually go. (Been through it twice with different kids, but with a gap of a few years in between, so I know one didn't catch it off of the other).
Don't panic, you'll start noticing on other kids now, it's very common, but annoying...

abs

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 12:15 pm
Left the molluscum to heal on its own w/ first batch of kids. Regretted freezing off younger kids. I think it caused more trouble than it was worth. It doesn't bother them, don't let it bother you! : )

magenta

Post Sun, Sep 14 2014, 12:31 pm
Don't let your child scratch it, as that may cause it to spread to other body parts.
Use separate towel for this child, and wash after each use.
Regarding the toilet seat, I used a windex wipe to clean the seat after DD used it. I taught her to do it herself.

As someone posted on a different thread, Tea Tree Oil really helped. Apply it with a Qtip on to the spots once or twice a day. It dries it up. Be careful to apply it to the spots only, as it may cause the skin around to dry up too.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 9:57 pm
op here. Would covering up the bumps with nail polish or something like that limit the contagion? I was informed by my daughter today that morah said leggings aren't allowed because they aren't part of the uniform.

abs

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:31 pm
Are tights allowed?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 7:20 am
yes, tights are allowed. but it's still too hot here for them and she'd be looked at funny.

baskrox

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 11:15 am
My dr. told me they're only contagious when they're "open". If they scratch, you'll see they're red and raw-looking. You can cover it, then. Otherwise, they're not contagious.

ddsw

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 11:47 am
Let her bathe with apple cider vinegar in the bath. Was the only thing that cleared up for my kids

Pandabeer

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 5:12 pm
where do you live? In Antwerp you can buy a homeopathic tincture

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 5:52 pm
I live in the US.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics