Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Baltimore- fitting in
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 12:20 pm
With all due respect, theawarenesscenter is not a trustworthy site at all. Baltimore schools are no less safe than any schools anywhere.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 1:19 pm
The abuse in TA was many, many years ago. I don't think that anyone that was in the school then is still in the school. IIRC it was 40+ years ago.

The issue in TI is still an issue but no one knows if it's true. (not getting into that here) If you are very uncomfortable with that level of uncertainty, you can send your boys to TA.

Either way, whereever you choose to live, you should educate your children about safety - that is the best way to keep your kids safe and it will keep them safe in the long term.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 3:14 pm
amother wrote:
Have you worked out the visa issue yet? If not, all of these posts and threads about various Jewish communities in the US are really a waste of time because, as people advised you in your original thread about leaving France, it's not so easy to get permission to move here, and if you haven't dealt with that yet, I'd advise you to focus your energy in that direction instead of researching a dozen different places in the US that you won't be allowed to travel to.

Ok.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 3:39 pm
We have more questions.
Bear in mind we cannot swear we can get all the papers so if you prefer helping only someone who has, it's your right. You may also be helping someone else who is posting anon or not posting.

Can someone modern yeshivish have the following in Baltimore/Pikesville:
chalav stam, denim skirt, long sheitel (weekday), kosher movies on dvd/comp, wedding ring on man.
And, what age does the average family puts on tights?

MrsDash

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 3:45 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Can someone modern yeshivish have the following in Baltimore/Pikesville:
chalav stam, denim skirt, long sheitel (weekday), kosher movies on dvd/comp, wedding ring on man.
And, what age does the average family puts on tights?

I grew up in Baltimore, and what you're describing is a lot of families that live there Smile

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 3:48 pm
Yes. Plenty of people do that (plenty do only some of it or none, too). Even yeshivish families only wear tights in the cold weather, nothing to do with age, idk about chassidish.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 3:55 pm
There are are many, many people here who fit that description, but TA would be a better fit than TI. Either Bnos and Bais Yaakov could work for your daughter. I don't know the answer to the tights question, but I see lots of girls here in knee socks.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 4:05 pm
Ppl dont wear tights except when its cold. The girls schools require knee socks in school starting mid-elementary (my daughter is in bnos and its starting in 4th). Outside of school you can do what you want. The way you describe yourself and what you want is similar to hundreds of baltimoreans. In terms of the abuse/drug issues I agree with all that there is no more of a problem here than any other community in the world :-(
I have been following your posts about communities and schools and think Baltimore is a great fit. Your son can stay in TA all the way until 12th grade. He will get a decent enough secular education (there are countless lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc who are alumni of TA) and it has plenty of diversity in the student body.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 4:27 pm
amother wrote:
I have been following your posts about communities and schools and think Baltimore is a great fit. Your son can stay in TA all the way until 12th grade. He will get a decent enough secular education (there are countless lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc who are alumni of TA) and it has plenty of diversity in the student body.

I second this. I have been saying and thinking Baltimore all along, for u Ruchel.
anon to avoid matching screenname with location,but if you decide on Baltimore and want help I am willing to PM you!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 6:38 pm
Yes. I also think Baltimore is a good fit for you. We don't live there but would have seriously considered it if it could've worked out parnasa wise for us (DH grew up there)
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating