Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Which sleep positioner works for keeping baby on her side?

punchike

Post Sun, Feb 28 2010, 7:25 pm
have u used a sleep positioner to keep ur baby sleeping on her side? which one works? it seems that some of them are not made well. What product do u recommend?

her pediatrician recommends that she sleep on her side bc her head is getting flat.

momto4

Post Sun, Feb 28 2010, 7:33 pm
I have one from the first years but I used it for my daughter who is almost 9. it worked very well but I have no idea if its still out there

rowo

Post Sun, Feb 28 2010, 9:56 pm
how old is your baby? is she rolling around yet?
I don't know if this would work with a baby that was moving around already. but I did this with dd and it worked.
basically, take two light baby blankets/cotton wraps, take each one and fold it in half, then roll it up. place baby on its side and place one of these rolls on either side of the baby, up to about its armpits (or where you feel is safe, not too close to the face) . then get a sheet or larger light blanket and cover the baby and the blanket rolls, tuck the sheet quite tight under either side of the mattress.
we did this when dd was still sleeping in a bassinet and she loved it, so cozy and tight. we did it to help her sleep, when she was too small to put on her stomach, but didn't do so well on her back.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 11:50 am
Anyone using sleep positioners or is it not safe?

Elbowmac

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 10:30 am
OP, if your pediatrician recommended that your baby sleep on her side, ask for suggestions. What specifically does your pedi think you should use for this? Rolled up blanket? Or a sleep positioner? Which one? What's the safest way to use it? Etc, etc.

It's important to find out what exactly your pediatrician had in mind when he said your baby should sleep on her side, since the AAP does NOT recommend using a sleep positioner.

These reports is a couple years old already, but basically states that the CDC and AAP feel the risks of using these devices outweigh the benefits and do pose risk.

*trigger warning (study mentions infant death)*

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/previe.....1.htm

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumer.....5.htm

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:15 pm
Ask Your pediatrician since they are associated with SIDS. But I did see at babies r us a hat that claims to help with flat head issues. Good luck!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics