Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving Out of Town Pros Vs Cons
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 12:41 pm
I'm the amother who thinks her husband will be happeier OOT- so ironically we actually own a nice house in a desirable neighborhood ( not brooklyn but whatever) and my husband has a good job- we would only move if he can take his job with him but he thinks he probably will be able to since there are other people in his company who "work from home" so those usual reasons don't apply. I'm a SAHM so that's not an issue either Smile

Financially though our tuition is high as is our real estate- most places OOT though not all will probably be cheaper.

I feel like certain negative interactions we've had are really negatively affecting us religiously.

My husband would love to buy a deserted island and just invite a few people to make a minyan and whatever and be done with it Smile

My husband has A LOT to offer if people are interested. He would thrive in a small community that works together... he tried to get involved with a shul here in town but soon realized that they only wanted people who would just agree with them about everything and that's not my husband, he's not a fighter but he's not a yes man either. Don't worry he's not going to cause "politics" he'll just draw in to his shell which is soo sad for me to watch. He's quiet and when there's a lot of people he sort of gets overlooked and ignored....

He likes things to be professionally run and doesn't go for "heimish" which is common here. In general he doesn't really fit a mold- he's not really modern but he's not yesheivish either... so he hasn't really found his place.

He grew up in the suburbs and prefers the slower place- he doesn't think the rush rush, need everything now etc... attitude is healthy... he loves the outdoor living- you know hiking, camping.... , thinks you should say hello to everyone Jew and Non Jew alike....he thinks that the further you get from NY the healthier and saner you are.

basically what this poster said
"Things I love:
Being asked to help out int he community - people are so kind to each other and we are always feeling welcome socially and involved.
People are interested in making connections.
People are helpful and share useful information.
Less gashmius competition... less pressure to live up to a certain standard. "

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 2:33 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
Hey, I grew up OOT. When I went away for camp, I was asked if my parents were farmers. shock Um, no. My parents probably have higher degrees than their fathers but "I" lived OOT. Did you know all OOTners are country bumpkins? We have straw in our hair constantly, live in one room log cabins and use outhouses.

My kids got that all the time in camp -- and they were from Chicago -- not exactly a small town (Jewishly or otherwise)!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 8:21 pm
amother wrote:
This is a great writeup, except insurance :-). Here in Detroit, we are paying car insurance almost 10X what I've paid previously in-town, and for some reason, our water bill is more than 2X as high. But I digress....

Completely depends where you're going.. Compared to ny prices my oot health and auto insurance are a joke (about a fifth of ny) and while I can't compare the homeowners insurance a part of that is because we never had a hope of buying anything decent in town but we did out here Smile

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:
I moved from Lakewood to Richmond, Virginia three years ago and we LOVE IT.

1) No SCHOOL DRAMA! When I learned that we were moving here the first thing I did was look up the local yeshiva day school and call to see what their "acceptance" policy was. The principal basically laughed at me at said, "what policy? If your kids are Jewish they are welcome!" In my oldest's class you have a really nice mix of kids of all Jewish backgrounds, from kollel families to Reform. I think it's amazing and we are all sensitive to each other.

2) Friendly and warm people, very little "jappiness." Much less judgement regarding personal observance and practice.

3) MUCH more affordable to live. We are able to get a small selection of decently priced kosher meat in town. If you want something special its very easy to get it delivered and often times people are running up to Silver Spring or Baltimore and will offer to get you something.

4) We have two minyan choices (at the Yeshiva or the Orthodox shul...3 if you count Chabad thats on the other side of town), at least 4 Jewish day camps (including backyard camps), etc.

I guess for me it's really the people that won me over! My kids have so many friends and are constantly being invited over to kids houses. In Lakewood I found it very hard to fit in and often times was very lonely.

I just spent Shabbos in Richmond. It is such a nice community, I really enjoyed.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 2:50 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the amother who thinks her husband will be happeier OOT- so ironically we actually own a nice house in a desirable neighborhood ( not brooklyn but whatever) and my husband has a good job- we would only move if he can take his job with him but he thinks he probably will be able to since there are other people in his company who "work from home" so those usual reasons don't apply. I'm a SAHM so that's not an issue either Smile

Financially though our tuition is high as is our real estate- most places OOT though not all will probably be cheaper.

I feel like certain negative interactions we've had are really negatively affecting us religiously.

My husband would love to buy a deserted island and just invite a few people to make a minyan and whatever and be done with it Smile

My husband has A LOT to offer if people are interested. He would thrive in a small community that works together... he tried to get involved with a shul here in town but soon realized that they only wanted people who would just agree with them about everything and that's not my husband, he's not a fighter but he's not a yes man either. Don't worry he's not going to cause "politics" he'll just draw in to his shell which is soo sad for me to watch. He's quiet and when there's a lot of people he sort of gets overlooked and ignored....

He likes things to be professionally run and doesn't go for "heimish" which is common here. In general he doesn't really fit a mold- he's not really modern but he's not yesheivish either... so he hasn't really found his place.

He grew up in the suburbs and prefers the slower place- he doesn't think the rush rush, need everything now etc... attitude is healthy... he loves the outdoor living- you know hiking, camping.... , thinks you should say hello to everyone Jew and Non Jew alike....he thinks that the further you get from NY the healthier and saner you are.

basically what this poster said
"Things I love:
Being asked to help out int he community - people are so kind to each other and we are always feeling welcome socially and involved.
People are interested in making connections.
People are helpful and share useful information.
Less gashmius competition... less pressure to live up to a certain standard. "

Sounds like you would be perfect in Houston check out http://www.relocatehouston.org/

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 3:12 pm
I don't know why everyone keeps posting about Houston. I also think Houston sounds like a great fit for her, but it is HOT. I live here, and although it really doesn't bother me, and you can mostly avoid it because everything is AC, there is still no denying that it is hot.
I'm pretty sure one of the criteria was that it should not be a hot place.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 11:35 am
how do you avoid the heat? I really don't like humidity- I thought houston is hot and humid? the problem is that it seems our other options are cold- almost feels like NY/NJ is in the middle temperature wise?aren't there any safe, decently priced, temperate climate, laidback oot places or am I just dreaming?

I'm open to other suggestions. I almost feel l ike if I'm moving out of town where I don't know anyone I should at least move someplace cheap Smile

houston's day school website does look great though!

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 2:01 pm
We really just stay inside during the hot months. Everything here has good central AC. My kids go to the pool everyday in the summer. You don't have to walk anywhere. There are huge parking lots at every store, so you're not walking from your car down the block with groceries. You park in your driveway or garage.
The only bad part is Shabbos in the summer, when you either stay home or venture out into the heat to visit friends. A lot of people go to New York for the summer, to get away.
And in my opinion the winters make up for it. Beautiful 60 degree days for weeks. My kids never wear coats unless it's a rare cold day.

manchestermom

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
Sounds like you would be perfect in Houston check out http://www.relocatehouston.org/

The link didn’t open

librarygirl

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:01 pm
Probably because the thread is 8 years old Wink

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:45 pm
I am from OOT. you might not have your ''Biological'' family living near you but your neighbors from your kids school and Shul become your family. Sometimes even closer than your family back home. We are not picky about Pizza. at times we had 1 shop to eat from. Yea!! We had something We appreciated it. You have to know what you are looking for, What are things you can't live without. You might not be able to send your kids to the neighbor so you can take a daily nap. If you are not well Heaven forbid there are many friends and helping hands to support you.

Sorry, I didn't see this is from a while back.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 1:09 am
Some cons, not mentioned:

Your married children and your grandchildren will probably not live in your town.

That is soon hard.

And when you get old, you will probably have to move to your children's town, leaving all your friends.

Although if you are relocating to Lakewood, your retired friends are probably here, too.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 2:02 am
Pro’s: smaller warmer community, smaller schools/ class sizes, many times affordability, easier to get jobs, everyone accepted into schools, most people and organizations are nicer, work with you as an individual not like a factory.
Cons: prices of food, availability of food, if you have a kid whose needs can’t be met in local day school sometimes public school is the only option, choice of friends for kids (sometimes the class can be really small and you are stuck with those bad influence friends all the way through, no option to change schools)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating