Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Cleveland vs. Cincinnati
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 3:50 pm
Quote:
Can someone modern yeshivish have the following:
chalav stam, denim skirt, long sheitel (weekday), kosher movies on dvd/comp, wedding ring on man.
And, what age does the average family puts on tights?

LOL Your questions are cracking me up. Of course you can do all those things. Go to University Heights and fit right in, you'll find many like you. About tights, do you mean socks? Most of the yeshivishe families' girls wear knee socks. I don't know when people stop letting their girls go bare-legged, it really depends on the family. My girls wore bobby socks and short sleeves at 3, long sleeves and knee socks at 5. But we're regular yeshivish, and there's quite a range of what people do. No one's going to tell you what to do.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 3:55 pm
LOL yeah I meant tights, knee high, knee socks... any.

I've gotten pms that the yeshivishe crowd is very restrictive so I prefer asking LOL

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 6:20 pm
Very restrictive? Really? I'm surprised to hear people think that. My experience has been very different.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 8:41 pm
I think most OOT communities in America would be ok with what you mention. Everyone does what is best for her family, and there is no one making rules what should or should not be done.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 8:44 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I was more referring to hashkafah than externalities, I kind of took the denim skirts as a given Wink The ner Yisroel affiliation is more telling.

It helps that the roshei kollel are from there and for many of the years the kollel has been around, the staff were usually from NIRC....in the past few years that has changed somewhat, but that is not because of any hashkafic changes within the community. A nice amount of the kollel alumni have stayed within the community.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 9:03 am
I haven't read each post, just kind of skimmed, but there's some stuff I want to mention:

I lived in Cinci for 6 years (coming off a move from EY for another 6) and we moved elsewhere one year ago. Like everything on earth, Cinci has its ups and downs.

Specifically, we were also told if our kids were ahead (and they were, vastly), we could simply supplement on our own. Well, that doesn't always work out too well. Not all parents have that kind of schedule to almost reproduce an entire school day in the evenings, not all kids want to sit down for another few hours of instruction after having already sat through school, and kids going to school and not being stimulated at all and learning on a very low level causes a) behavior problems, and b) a general bad attitude that school is dumb, which makes it harder for them to listen even when they are learning something new.

In other words, it's hard to bypass a school completely. Some people are able to make it work, some kids are not so ahead, and some parents don't care if their kids are not stimulated. The exact combination of factors simply did not work for us.

More to say....later.

ElTam

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 7:08 pm
Quote:
Can someone modern yeshivish have the following:
chalav stam, denim skirt, long sheitel (weekday), kosher movies on dvd/comp, wedding ring on man.
And, what age does the average family puts on tights?

We have all of the above except my sheital isn't long because I don't look good with long hair. But plenty of long sheitals. And there are plenty of people like me.

HAC requires knee socks starting in first grade when they wear uniforms. Some girls wear tights. Some don't. I have one tight wearer and one knee sock wearer.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:40 am
Thank you!
Tell me, does the school allow tights, or only knee socks?
Also do many of these girls cover their legs also out of school?

ElTam

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:58 am
Depends on the family. HAC does not dictate tights or knee highs in school. Either is fine. Outside of school, what people wear is really up to the family and there is a real mix.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:43 pm
Anyone know how much the kollel stipend is in Cleveland? Does the kollel help buy a house? Or is this just a rumor

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:49 pm
amother wrote:
Anyone know how much the kollel stipend is in Cleveland? Does the kollel help buy a house? Or is this just a rumor

There are a number of kollelim in Cleveland (I can think of 5 or so: Rabbi Hirshfeld's & Rabbi Blum's kollelim in Cleveland Heights; the Kollel affiliated with the Mesivta in University Heights (Rabbi Busel); Rabbi Katz' Kollel in Beachwood; the Telshe Yeshiva Kollel and another one in Wickliffe (is it Rabbi Brog's?)). DS spent some time in Rabbi Hirshfeld's kollel and several years in the Kollel associated with the Mesivta of Cleveland and they certainly didn't help him buy a house. I don't know what the stipend was either, but we continued providing support as we did when he lived in EY.

It could be that Rabbi Blum's kollel (newer of the kollelim in Cleveland Heights) might do so as they insist that the yungerleit live in the area, but I don't know that as a fact.

ElTam

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:10 pm
I don't know what the kollel stipend is, but if you buy on certain streets, the Jewish community is offering grants and no interest loans. These streets are all in Cleveland Heights, easy walk to shuls, kollel, kosher market, Hebrew Academy of Cleveland. They are Berkeley, Blanche (only the part East of South Taylor) an Bainbridge.
Quote:

Are you currently renting? Would like to buy a home? Or are you looking to move to Cleveland?
You may qualify for up to $30,000 in Down Payment Assist loans. These are 0% interest loans!
Call or email us for more information at 440-549-0539 or chjewish@gmail.com.

marina

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:13 pm
In addition to what Eltam wrote, I will also sell you my very big house which happens to be on a great block.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:14 pm
Thanks for the info on housing! Do you know the salary for kollel yungerman?

doctorima

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 10:07 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the info on housing! Do you know the salary for kollel yungerman?

I'm sure it depends which of the 5 Kollelim you join, as it's not going to be the same salary at each one.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 10:07 am
ElTam wrote:
I don't know what the kollel stipend is, but if you buy on certain streets, the Jewish community is offering grants and no interest loans. These streets are all in Cleveland Heights, easy walk to shuls, kollel, kosher market, Hebrew Academy of Cleveland. They are Berkeley, Blanche (only the part East of South Taylor) an Bainbridge.
Quote:

Are you currently renting? Would like to buy a home? Or are you looking to move to Cleveland?
You may qualify for up to $30,000 in Down Payment Assist loans. These are 0% interest loans!
Call or email us for more information at 440-549-0539 or chjewish@gmail.com.

You should also be aware that Cleveland Heights borders immediately on a not too great neighborhood (probably why they are offering these grants and loans so they can strengthen it).

amother

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 11:31 am
HAC Kollel (Rabbi Busel) is 36k a year.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 2:04 pm
amother wrote:
HAC Kollel (Rabbi Busel) is 36k a year.

Whoa! Are you required to do kiruv-y stuff? And is it a very selective kollel?

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 9:30 pm
amother wrote:
Whoa! Are you required to do kiruv-y stuff? And is it a very selective kollel?

Yes, it is very selective. It isn't really kiruv per se; but rather for parts of the day (maybe even most of the day) they learn with bochurim who are in the Mesivta of Cleveland and are part of Hebrew Academy and must send their kids there (it is an excellent school).

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 7:13 pm
Does anyone have HAC contact number?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating