Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How late can you call?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 9:49 pm
I could have put this in working women or teacher's room forum, but I want to hear from moms, too. I work in a school-based helping profession and like to be in touch with the kids' parents periodically. I have just gotten my caseload for this year and need to introduce myself to the parents first. My kids were crazy tonight and did not fall asleep until 9:30, but I mean baby screaming loudly no way to make phone calls type of crazy. This kind of thing comes up often - I can't figure out what the perfect window of time is. If you call during the day, most parents are at work. Afternoon/evening they're probably busy with their own kids. Night - at what time is it too late?

Please help! I always feel bad not being in touch with parents more often but I just can't seem to figure this out! I figure 8:45-9 should be about perfect for most people but that is pretty narrow, no way to do more than one per night if I even manage to hit that sweet spot at all.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 10:30 pm
I also used to worry about this and then I realized - call whenever it's convenient for you. Not later than 10, I think, but anytime before that. Call, introduce yourself, say why you're calling and then say - is this a good time? Do you have a few minutes? If not, when can I call back?

chani4

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 10:37 pm
amother wrote:
I could have put this in working women or teacher's room forum, but I want to hear from moms, too. I work in a school-based helping profession and like to be in touch with the kids' parents periodically. I have just gotten my caseload for this year and need to introduce myself to the parents first. My kids were crazy tonight and did not fall asleep until 9:30, but I mean baby screaming loudly no way to make phone calls type of crazy. This kind of thing comes up often - I can't figure out what the perfect window of time is. If you call during the day, most parents are at work. Afternoon/evening they're probably busy with their own kids. Night - at what time is it too late?

Please help! I always feel bad not being in touch with parents more often but I just can't seem to figure this out! I figure 8:45-9 should be about perfect for most people but that is pretty narrow, no way to do more than one per night if I even manage to hit that sweet spot at all.

So hard to get everyone at a time that works.
I've been teachers use emails now. And maybe not everyone in the school has Internet Maybe send a letter home?
Good luxk

patientmom

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 10:49 pm
My DD's teacher had us fill out a questionnaire and one of the questions was how late can she call us.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 11:20 pm
OP here.
That's a good idea, I will ask them directly as soon as I get the chance.
But because I am not the classroom teacher, I provide a service, I need to talk to the parents before I can even pick up the case. So this is an initial call. Obviously it's in everyone's best interest to get it done ASAP but I don't want to give a wrong first impression by calling someone in their sleep.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 10:36 am
My DH had this problem too. We have no problem if the phone rings at 11 but its rude to call a new parent at that hour. Here is the solution that worked for him.

He called all parents in the morning. If they didnt answer then he left a message saying that they can call back till 11:30pm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children