Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Chicago cheaper frum area

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 4:45 am
Which neighbourhood would it be? some yeshivish presence, eruv.
DH tells me no way to Skokie and Rogers (?) Park.
Chicago is not totally out yet, but going down on the list Wink

busymother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 4:49 am
Peterson park?

tropicalrainforest

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 5:59 am
Check out buffalo grove . It's a suburb that has a school and Eruv . It's about 45 minutes from west Rogers park .

monseychick

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:01 am
Not to be a wet blanket, Ruchel.

But do you have a visa/green card. Will you be allowed to live here and work here...

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:06 am
tropicalrainforest wrote:
Check out buffalo grove . It's a suburb that has a school and Eruv . It's about 45 minutes from west Rogers park .

I grew up in buffalo grove. I loved it there but I would not recommend moving there. It costs a fortune and taxes are super high. Although the public school district is amazing, and stevenson high school is top rated (I went there), you pay for those great schools and dont benefit. Later Moved to west rogers park. All of us who grew up in BG loved it but left.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:06 am
We're working on everything at the same time.
Of course only Hashem knows, in the mean time we do everything we can.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:07 am
Chicago is a great place but it is an expensive city, no way around it. It's actually one of the more expensive cities in the US. Buffalo Grove is slowly being built up but it's about an hour from the real Frum community. Several of the Northern suburbs (including BG) have Orthodox shuls and kosher food in stores but they're not part of the major Frum area. Peterson Park and West Rogers park are very expensive because everyone wants to buy in the same very crowded square of just a few miles. In Skokie you get a lot more bang for your buck, houses are a lot cheaper and it's more suburban with more of a likelihood of having a nice yard and garage. Still, it's super expensive compared with a place like Cleveland. For some people, it's worth it. Coming from another country when you could pick anywhere, it might not be.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:10 am
Stevenson is a public high school. BG currently has a Jewish day school, community school type preschool through 4 th grade and hoping to grow.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:47 am
If commute to yeshivish school is too big, then definitely other cities come first... A perk of Chicago for us would be no community school for us Wink

finprof

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:59 am
Are you looking to buy or rent? In WRP the closer you are to Devon the cheaper it is to rent but the neighborhood is more mixed. I don't know about rents in Skokie but homes and taxes are cheaper west of Crawford and either north of Church or south of Dempster. Just we warned people here and will think that a mile walk is waaaay to far and that is what you may face depending on which Shul you decide to attend.

Peanut2

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:06 am
If you don't have visas then this is all premature, to say the least.

How soon do you plan on moving? Because this type of stuff can change fast. This year? Next? 2 Orr more years?

The visa issue is huge!

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:14 am
If you can tell us why your DH says no to Skokie and Rogers (presumably West Rogers) Park, we may be able to steer you better.

However, from the description of what you were looking for, it seems to me that West Rogers Park is probably the best fit.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:16 am
If you're willing to be a little flexible about which part of the neighborhood you move to, or how big of a house you need/want, then you can definitely work with West Rogers Park or Peterson Park. If you want to be in the same 7 square block area as the majority of the community then it gets more expensive, but if you're willing to move a little east (other side of California) - where more people are moving now, or north of Touhy (think Sherwin, Birchwood, etc) then houses get cheaper. There are also many older apartment buildings that have large 2-3 bedroom apartments. There are also many nice townhouses in various locations in WRP that are bigger than apartments but smaller and less expensive than the houses. There are also a whole bunch of people just south of Devon and that area is also less expensive.

In Peterson Park, if you are willing to go further west (think Lawndale), houses are cheaper. I know a bunch of people who have moved to PP within the last 2-3 years precisely because real estate was cheaper.

Skokie might be more of a mixed community that is more spread out than you are really looking for, based on what I've seen. Plus taxes are higher.

I would tell you (which I tell everyone moving to a new place) to either rent for the first year, or spend a few shabbosim in various places.

I wish I'd heeded my own advice when we moved, because I don't think I'd have stayed where we ended up buying if we'd rented here first.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:21 am
If you're looking for cheap, Chicago is not for you. Tuition is really expensive and taxes are high and you have to drive everywhere. If you want to live in the drum neighborhood buying a three bedroom Georgian that's old and needs work will be in the 300s

busydev

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:46 am
OOTBubby wrote:
If you can tell us why your DH says no to Skokie and Rogers (presumably West Rogers) Park, we may be able to steer you better.

However, from the description of what you were looking for, it seems to me that West Rogers Park is probably the best fit.

I agree. I would def place you in WRP... so whats his reason for not wanting to go there?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:48 am
My limited experience with Chicago schools from a financial perspective is that if you meet income criteria they'll work with you, and the schools have minimum tuitions that are under her range.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:53 am
Just want to point out: I know someone who moved to a new community who was told they don't give tuition deductions for the first year.

sara_s

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 9:47 am
amother wrote:
If you're willing to be a little flexible about which part of the neighborhood you move to, or how big of a house you need/want, then you can definitely work with West Rogers Park or Peterson Park. If you want to be in the same 7 square block area as the majority of the community then it gets more expensive, but if you're willing to move a little east (other side of California) - where more people are moving now, or north of Touhy (think Sherwin, Birchwood, etc) then houses get cheaper. There are also many older apartment buildings that have large 2-3 bedroom apartments. There are also many nice townhouses in various locations in WRP that are bigger than apartments but smaller and less expensive than the houses. There are also a whole bunch of people just south of Devon and that area is also less expensive.

In Peterson Park, if you are willing to go further west (think Lawndale), houses are cheaper. I know a bunch of people who have moved to PP within the last 2-3 years precisely because real estate was cheaper.

Skokie might be more of a mixed community that is more spread out than you are really looking for, based on what I've seen. Plus taxes are higher.

I would tell you (which I tell everyone moving to a new place) to either rent for the first year, or spend a few shabbosim in various places.

I wish I'd heeded my own advice when we moved, because I don't think I'd have stayed where we ended up buying if we'd rented here first.

What would rent be for a 3 bedroom apartment in West Rogers Park?[quote]

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 9:53 am
sara_s wrote:
What would rent be for a 3 bedroom apartment in West Rogers Park?

For a decent one, I believe $1200-$1800 range.

Fox

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 10:35 am
OOTBubby wrote:

I completely agree!

Even if you ultimately decide to move to a suburb or to Peterson Park, living in WRP initially is the most practical option. There are plenty of rental options in WRP as well as a wide variety of hashkafos represented. You can get a feel for the geographic options and various segments of the community before settling down permanently.

Although it is true that you will probably need a car, it's definitely possible to survive in WRP for limited periods without one if you're willing to walk. And unless both husband and wife need a car to get to work every day, a single car is often adequate.

This is just a guess on my part, but I think coming from Europe to Chicago (which would be enough of a shock!) would be slightly less jarring in WRP. There's more of an international vibe (both the good kind and the bad kind!).

Devon Avenue has been largely abandoned for sprawling malls and Wal-Mart, but there are still fruit and veggie stores that sell a lot of European goods; a kosher bakery; a kosher grocery store; a kosher fish market; small pharmacies, etc. All of these places deliver and give very personal service. I think someone coming from Europe would find that more familiar and easier to navigate, at least initially.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating