Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
A few questions about Aliyah...

kelsorino

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:08 pm
My husband I have very strongly been considering making Aliyah- and have just a few questions.
What challenges lay ahead of us that we should be aware of besides for the obvious -not being near my family etc.
My husband would have a job there but what type of job would I be able to get? I have heard that a lot of the time for women it is hard to work since child care is about the same as I would be making. I do graphic design here, is there a demand for that there?
What happens if we make aliyah and it doesn't work out for what ever reason? Is it super complicated coming back? Ideally I would love to move to E"Y for a year to try it out but no one is supporting us and that would be very expensive.
Mainly communities. My husband and I are very out of the box - my husband is Chassidish-ish. He would need a chassidish minyan. We would like a more relaxed, down to earth community. We are not materialistic people and like a simpler life style, but I need to be close to city life for when I get bored :-). I am drawn to tzfat but would like to be closer to yerushalayim. Is there anywhere in particular that we should check out that sounds like it fits?

kelsorino

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:10 pm
Also If any one maybe has any tips on how to go for just a year that would help - like how to do it financially.

Peanut2

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:18 pm
What jobs do you have now? What degrees and experience? Do you speak Hebrew?

What do you mean by chassidish-ish? If you are right wing black hat types I have no advice. If you are Zionist/dati leumi leaning there is a chassidic revival of sorts in that sector of Israeli society, with yishuvim like bat ayin and tekoa and many others that have a chassidic (sometimes hippie) vibe and influence on life. But that's probably not what you mean.

Peanut2

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:21 pm
Also it's actually very worthwhile for women to work there. It obviously depends.
You get taxed less as a mom, and there is maternity leave (3 months paid if you've worked for a year, I think), and there are discounts on maon/mishpachton (daycare/play group, if at an approved place) based on income if you work at least a certain number of hours (26? 30?). So some women work 30 hours and if the income is not high (say husband in school or learning or not making a lot) you can send 3 kids to maon for very little. VERY worthwhile.

Again, depends on the situation.

kelsorino

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:24 pm
Now I am a program coordinator for a non-profit organization, and I also do graphic design work. My husband has a BA in business and finance, but we are pretty sure he has a job there.
That actually sounds like what we are looking for. Definitely not black hat- chassidishes. My husband happens to wear a black hat on Friday night but people would definitely classify us as more hippie type. I guess we are grounded hippies. Does that make sense? (I feel like people think of hippies as more flighty- which we are not- well maybe I am but he isnt!)

kelsorino

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:26 pm
Wow - 3 months! that sounds amazing. Thank you for all this information - I was nervous I was going to hear things that were going to make me nervous but that sounds great. Thank you!!! Anything else?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating