Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Cost of Making Yom Tov

Bitachon101

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 10:47 pm
I have not yet actually "made" Yom tov as I usually go to my relatives OOT or to inlaws.
We are considering making RH this year for starters but not sure its financially the best option for us right now especially as we are invited to be elsewhere.
There are many factors involved but from a financial stand point, what does it cost to make Yom tov?
The kids are little and barely eat.. so basically its for 2 adults and possibly some company.
A neighbor just told me she spent on her grocery bill $400 and isnt done shopping.
A reg shabbos we usually try to keep less than $150 and often much less. A 3 day Yom tov... is that going to rack a real bill?

imasinger

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 10:55 pm
If you average 100-150 on Shabbos, and this is like 3 in a row, you can do the math.

But if you can eat the same main for more than one meal (or use it in a different way, like a chef salad), then you aren't spending triple. And sides and desserts can last, too.

I'm sure you know the drill. Meat and fish are expensive; prepared foods are expensive. So limit those to what you will eat, or can freeze leftovers and save. Soups and produce that is in season cost less.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 10:57 pm
How on earth is it possible to spend anywhere near $150 for food for 1 Shabbos? Especially since you said your kids are small and don't eat much. Are you hosting huge meals for 10 people each week? I cannot fathom that number.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 11:07 pm
superdanni wrote:
How on earth is it possible to spend anywhere near $150 for food for 1 Shabbos? Especially since you said your kids are small and don't eat much. Are you hosting huge meals for 10 people each week? I cannot fathom that number.

this.
Something is very wrong here, unless you're buying all takeout and not cooking anything yourself. In that case, learn how to cook. Pronto.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 11:12 pm
I have to add that for a lot of people, a large part of the cost of staying home for RH is paying for the seats in shul. If your shul charges for seats, depending on how much, staying home can cost you (food aside) a pretty penny

Bitachon101

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 11:13 pm
Imasinger, math aint my strong point Wink
But thanks for the post, I hear.
Superdanni- my dh has the same question! I dunno, somehow I manage to hit over $100 almost every shabbos shopping, could be cuz I just end up buying all the food we ran out of for the week. We're big yogurt and leben eaters here and that costs us a fortune for starters, plus we're big fruit and vegies ppl, that racks a bill, and the chicken and meat adds up too, and then all the in between stuff ends up somehow adding up. Don't ask me.... I don't walk around the store with a calculator and if we need the food I buy it cuz I'll cut corners somewhere else.

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 11:21 pm
Bitachon101 wrote:
Imasinger, math aint my strong point Wink
But thanks for the post, I hear.
Superdanni- my dh has the same question! I dunno, somehow I manage to hit over $100 almost every shabbos shopping, could be cuz I just end up buying all the food we ran out of for the week. We're big yogurt and leben eaters here and that costs us a fortune for starters, plus we're big fruit and vegies ppl, that racks a bill, and the chicken and meat adds up too, and then all the in between stuff ends up somehow adding up. Don't ask me.... I don't walk around the store with a calculator and if we need the food I buy it cuz I'll cut corners somewhere else.

So you are really $100 on your weekly food shop? You would not be spending 3 times the amount because you won't have 3 times as many groceries to fill in.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 11:58 pm
superdanni wrote:
I have to add that for a lot of people, a large part of the cost of staying home for RH is paying for the seats in shul. If your shul charges for seats, depending on how much, staying home can cost you (food aside) a pretty penny

Why would it make a diff if you stay home or not? We are going away for RH and still have this expense in the shul we will be a guest at.

MitzadSheini

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 12:07 am
Bitachon101- don't forget where the $ comes from and have BITACHON that Hashem will give you what you need to pay for whatever you need whatever you decide!!!

Shana tova!

pesek zman

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 12:09 am
amother wrote:
Why would it make a diff if you stay home or not? We are going away for RH and still have this expense in the shul we will be a guest at.

I guess you're right. In my particular situation, if I were to go to my parents for RH (which I haven't done our entire marriage) they would pay for our seats (as they did when I went to them before I got married) But you are absolutely right.

Bitachon101

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 12:23 am
mtzadhasheini wrote:
Bitachon101- don't forget where the $ comes from and have BITACHON that Hashem will give you what you need to pay for whatever you need whatever you decide!!!

Shana tova!

Yes I know I know.... My name doesn't mean I have it but its to remind me that I need it!!!!
Tx for the wake up.
However, I didn't get paid the whole month of Aug and dh's income is hit or miss on the week. I have bills that must get paid (rent utilities and the works) so if it'll mean an excessive bill, its a crunch time for us right now. (Oh our car just died too and we had to put lots of money into it before it died,) so altho I'm not a penny pincher for food needs, we generally are keepin it low on the extra expenses right now cuz we know we're in for a choking as soon as the bills come in.
The $ isn't out only factor, but it is a factor. My inlaws would gladly have us, so why do I need to add an extra bill if its excessive? (Dh doesn't love goin there tho I forsure prefer it, which is for a dif discussion) Rolling Eyes

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 12:24 am
You can spend as little or as much as you want... For two adults it shouldn't be very costly unless you choose to buy expensive meats, fish, etc.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 1:16 am
Bitachon101 wrote:
I have not yet actually "made" Yom tov as I usually go to my relatives OOT or to inlaws.
We are considering making RH this year for starters but not sure its financially the best option for us right now especially as we are invited to be elsewhere.
There are many factors involved but from a financial stand point, what does it cost to make Yom tov?
The kids are little and barely eat.. so basically its for 2 adults and possibly some company.
A neighbor just told me she spent on her grocery bill $400 and isnt done shopping.
A reg shabbos we usually try to keep less than $150 and often much less. A 3 day Yom tov... is that going to rack a real bill?
Well, if you usually spend on average $125 for Shabbos, you do not need to calculate that into your RH budget as it is already budgeted in your week.
You need to add 4 Shabbos-like meals to your budget. Think of what your menu would be. Extra 4 Challahs, fish, soup, salads, meat/poultry, starch, veg, dessert.
Try to figure out how much the actual Shabbos meals cost you. Times that by 4. You may deduct the cost you have already budgeted in your week for lunch and dinner x2.
This is how much the extra would cost.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 5:58 am
Having guests or not makes a big difference. Once people have guests, they often make multiple side dishes and meats, and have 4 courses. On your own, especially for 6 meals in a row, I doubt you want to sit down to 6 4 course meals. And since you know what foods you and your husband like, make that.

OTOH not having guests can be pretty boring. can you arrange with a friend to go to her for one meal and they come to you for another?

busydev

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 2:19 pm
Its hard to say especially if you "shabbos shop" is really a week shop. you have to figure out how much is really shabbos to know a real figure. Also something like a kugel you can make 2 or 3 and rotate them for each meal. so it can be somewhat cheaper per day then a regular shabbos.

For us (2 adults and 2 kids that dont eat that much-no guests) I make alot for r"h and then freeze it for short winter shabbosim. Like ill make a double 9x13 kugel recipe and put it into 5x3 pans or ones that are a bit bigger and viola 6 kugels for the freezer. I make 2 different types and then im covered for 12 weeks-one less thing to make erev shabbos! so my r"h expense is a bit.... but its also for future shabbosim....
another example- dh bought a large brisket for $45. we will eat MAYBE 1/6 of it over y"t. the rest will be divided into enough for 2 people and a bit extra and frozen for winter shabbosim.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 4:44 pm
If you buy "for Shabbat" all the foods you ran out of during the week, then that's your weekly grocery shopping, not your Shabbat costs. For a family your size, $150/wk for groceries makes much more sense. I still think it's a little high, though it depends on where you live, and if funds are tight you could bring it down by making a few changes, but it's more or less in the ballpark.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur