Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
The Shabbos Project

amother

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 12:54 pm
Does anyone have any information about this? I saw the youtube video encouraging everyone to keep Shabbos next week, but are there any programs or resources? I know someone at work whose not very religious and she might be interested, but what is she actually supposed to be doing to keep Shabbos?

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 3:51 pm
I also heard about this but I think there is some terrible PR deficiency. Apparently when they did it in South Africa it was all over and everyone knew about it. Here it's just a few weeks off, I have seen nothing in my neighborhood (I live in a large city that you'd think would have a lot going on) nothing on facebook or mainstream websites, no email, just an article in Mishpacha and maybe a couple of ads also in chareidish publications, maybe also Mishpacha, I don't even remember.

Apparently there is some info packet for people to learn what to do, but I don't even know how to get it.

This was a fabulous idea but IMHO not at all well executed.

debsey

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 4:19 pm
I signed up to host but never heard anything back......

amother

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 10:07 am
It started in South Africa where it was really successful (over 50% of the Jewish population kept a whole Shabbos!) South Africa is managing the message (created the theme lines, have produced the how to keep Shabbos booklet and how to get ready for Shabbos booklet- available online once you sign up)

Now each city is responsible for the marketing. Here, in Melbourne, there are shopping bags and billboards, plastic wristbands and ads in the local papers, our own website
theshabbatprojectmelbourne.com.au

Each kehila, Shul, community group is doing their own 'thing' re shiurim beforehand, the actual Shabbos, but we are all together for challah baking and a concert motzei Shabbos.

Also hosting is organized at a local level debsey so it's people in your own city or area.

nechami1

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 6:57 pm
I thought that this "Shabbas project" was happening on 24/25th October? I don't think its next week- I presume its the week after Succos
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note