Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Mommies that work til 5 or 6 - bathing your kids

Bitachon101

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 10:48 pm
Hi mommies that work til 5 or 6 or later... how often do your kids get bathed?

I find it almost impossible to bathe baby/toddler more than 1-2 x a week getting home late from work and dealing with supper and bed.

Is this normal? Recently Ive been using a baby wipe to wipe off any dirt on toes or feet etc except for shabbos bath and if im lucky one more bath a week. I know lots of ppl bathe every night and it makes me think im being neglectful while in reality im trying to simply function. Gross or ok?

(obviously special situations that require a bath like leaky diaper etc will not be ignored.)

animeme

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 11:09 pm
When I had those hours, we did quick washes. Every night in the summer and every other or as needed the rest of the time, I stood my kid in the tub, wet a wash cloth and added soap, quickly washed them without doing hair, dumped rinse water over them, and done. Hair was once a week in the winter and twice in he summer.

miami85

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 11:14 pm
I, personally, find that little kids don't perspire as much as adults, hence fewer hygiene issues. I find also that at this time of year when it gets cold over night but heat isn't on it isn't good for girls to go to bed with wet hair leads to more colds. I think some common sense is in order, if there's noticeable dirt, then wash it, if not kids will survive without daily baths. My kids HATE baths so I find it's not worth the hassle to force them into the tub more than necessary. They look overall clean and aren't sick too often, so I don't feel that I'm being neglectful--obviously I TRY but when I get home I'm often not in the mood of fighting with them (my kids are little).

rachel6543

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 11:26 pm
I don't bath my kid every day. Usually every other day. Also, my husband helps and gives baths half the time.

Also, on occasion I find it easier to give my kid a quick bath/shower in the morning. Sometimes at night he's just too tired and a quick shower in the morning is easier.

Jeanette

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 11:40 pm
During the summer it's hot and we don't have AC so they get a bath every night. If I'm not home to do it my husband does it but somehow we manage.

During the winter it's 2-3 times a week.

At this point only my 2yo needs to be fully bathed by me. My 4yo bathes himself with supervision and my 7 and 9yo bathe independently.

cfriedman2

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 11:58 pm
Nightly. I get home from picking my 2 year old daughter up from day care at 530 but my evening is very structured & she's fed, bathed and in bed by 715. It's part of her nighttime routine. She showers so it's a lil easier

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 12:29 am
No judgement but- little tushies need to be washed! especially if they still wear diapers.
we call this a wash off, takes 2 min max while changing into pjs. stand in bath turn on water rinse face and bottom then over.
at least every other day... ur changing them anyways...
my 2 cents

wife2

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 1:46 am
I do not think baths are for sweat or dirt as much as for hygiene. The summer/winter does not make much a difference. My baby and toddler do not smell sweatier or get extra dirty in the summer.

The main reason I feel a bath is important is because of their diaper area. Wiping is not enough - dirty diapers, sometimes a few a day, leaves a bad smell in that area. Wiping is not enough. They need to get soap and soak by sitting in the bath for at least a couple of minutes.

I do not think it is so important to wash their hair every day. The rest of the body you should try to do as often as you can and do the hair 1-2 times a week as you are doing now when bathing them. Scrub their feet as dirt tends to accumulate there. I find that it only takes about 2 minutes to wash everywhere with soap - in their neck, under arms, diaper area, feet/legs.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:25 am
When I worked those hours, I got home after 6. With a few little ones at home I had a babysitter in the house and she would bathe them at 5.

I do have to say though a quick bath takes no longer then 2 minutes. They don't have to play in the bathtub every time.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 7:06 pm
When my children were small, it was in job description for my nanny to give children a bath or a shower pretty much every other day.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 8:57 pm
I don't work that late any more, but you do realize that school age kids aren't getting home until then anyway, right? Bathing (usually showering for those over age two) is just a part of our nightly routine. When we have time they stretch it out and play, when we're tighter on time it's strictly business. They have to get undressed and into PJs anyway, so the actual bathing doesn't take too much extra time. Occasionally we skip a night but my kids spend a nice amount of time playing outfoors and for the most part I feel it's preferable to bathe daily. My pediatrician recommended it specifically for one of my kids too.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 9:02 pm
How does a 2 year old shower? Never heard of this.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 9:05 pm
amother wrote:
How does a 2 year old shower? Never heard of this.

I would answer this if it wasn't so ridiculous to be posting as amother. Sorry.

emama

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 9:26 pm
Is your husband available? I never bathed my kids. (OK, maybe once or twice). That was my husband's job (and pleasure). When else would he have had the regular opportunity to bond with the kids? I nursed, cooked, fed, worked, etc. This was his job.

shanie5

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 9:33 pm
Bathing daily isnt always so great for the skin. I was told to bathe one of my children only 2x a week due to his sensitive skin.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics