Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Tsunami in Asia
Previous  1  2  3

proudmom

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 6:44 pm
An earthquake has struck southeast Asia once again. The earthquake, which measured 8.7 on the Richter scale, occurred yesterday evening around 200 km off the coast of Sumatra. The U.S. Geological Institute has warned that there is a strong possibility of tsunamis occurring as a result. Immediate measures need to be taken, such as evacuating residents from coastal areas less than 1,000 km from the site of the earthquake.

However, although dozens of people have been killed on the Nias Islands in Indonesia, the Indonesian Institute of Geophysics does not anticipate any tsunamis.

Usually the after-effects of an earthquake are not felt until three hours afterwards. Geologists estimate that the direction of the waves caused by this particular earthquake is south, toward Africa. The first place to be hit by a tsunami in such an instance would be Mauritius. Local shluchim are already on standby for this eventuality, and will be on hand to help the many Israeli tourists in the area as well as their worried families back home.

marina

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 12:16 am
Motek wrote:
someone said that her son heard on some Israeli radio program that an Israeli's wife and 3 children were killed in the tsunami

before you say, oy nebach --

the man said that he had left Israel but G-d had found him ...

the wife and kids were non jews ...

this is actually a zechus for him, there's a long story which I won't tell here, which some of you may have heard, about R' Yosef Baal Agala, the end of that story is that he was instrumental in bringing a Jew back in teshuva but the man was distraught over having a gentile wife and children. Then he heard the news that they had been killed and he knew that his teshuva had been accepted, the slate had been wiped clean.

This, Motek, is one of the top five distasteful Jewish ideas- that when your gentile wife and child dies, it means your teshuva has been accepted. Absolutely horrific.

SorGold

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 12:25 am
Marina, this is 9 years old!! Am I missing something??

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 7:07 am
I prefer stories when they discover the wife is halachically Jewish.
Second choice, when they all convert.

freidasima

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 8:52 am
Is Motek Back???!!!

marina

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 10:01 am
Nope. Someone started getting annoyed that another poster pulled up a slightly out-of-date thread. So I decided to, you know, pull up threads from 2005 Smile

I'm childish that way Smile
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics