Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Scranton?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 7:53 am
My son just started in the yeshiva and is still waiting for a few secular leachers to be hired. We got the impression that the school does not take chol classes seriously.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 8:59 am
Both of my sons went to Scranton for yeshiva and beis medrash — that's from 9th grade through 3–4 years post high school. One became a National Merit Scholar/Finalist while there (Ruchel, that's a big deal!). My sons have told me me that it's possible to get a good secular education but you have to want it, and some boys don't. Even though there's only one class per grade, the math classes when my sons were there were split into two sections, one of them advanced.

My older son started in Scranton a dozen years ago, and it wasn't a place for problem boys then or now. All years are not the same, and sometimes they have had a year with a few problematic boys. Any boy who leads another into trouble gets booted out immediately. A boy who gets himself into trouble — I think they're a bit more tolerant but not very...

Scranton graduates can and do become doctors, lawyers, etc. (I know a few), although a majority end up in Lakewood at some point. Another yeshiva mother once told me, "Scranton boys make good husbands," and I think it's true!

I don't know the community well except for spending an occasional Shabbos there, but the people who have hosted us and whom we have met are friendly and accepting, and there appears to be some hashkafic diversity. The only real concern in Scranton is jobs.

shanie5

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 9:55 am
amother wrote:
hi Ruchel Wave I'm the amother who is looking for a similar community to you I was wondering if you were looking in to scranton and if not how come. Seems like we aren't the only two, since the amother about the houses and yeshiva wasn't/weren't me lol.

Shanie5- thanks so much for the info!

In terms of young people- do you know why the community isn't growing much? Its important to us that our kids have kids to play with. Are there any babies?

Community not growing much is do to parnossa issues. That is hard over hear. Yes, there are still babies being born here, as families are growing.

shanie5

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 10:11 am
Ruchel wrote:
Thanks!!
Shanie, what type do they take now?
Yeshivish type.

My usual Qs...
Can someone modern yeshivish have the following:
chalav stam, denim skirt, long sheitel (weekday), kosher movies on dvd/comp, wedding ring on man.
And, what age does the average family puts on tights? Most people keep cholov yisroel here, but there are plenty who keep cholov stam too (like me).

Denim skirts are fine-I lived in those for many years-just recently gave them up for myself-nothing to do with the community.

Long shaitel also no problem.

Kosher movies okay too. Non kosher movies-some people go to those too.

I never pay attention to wedding rings on men, but I know of at least one person who wears one-there may be others, but no one will turn against you for that.

Tights? How about at what age do girls stop wearing pants? That would be around age 4-5 for the yeshish crowd. Tights are not a requirement for most families here.

LOL I'm sorry for asking, but I've been told by an amother that the kehila is mega yeshivish (=not for us).

There is a large yeshiva contingent here, but there are also quite a few others.

We have had an influx of quite a few families who are loosely connected. The 'leader' of these families spent a year checking out communities for affordability and welcoming. Scranton was their choice.

Also, the day school is both boys and girls. They are mixed through 3rd grade. In 4th they separate for hebrew, in 7th they separate for english too.

shanie5

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 10:13 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Both of my sons went to Scranton for yeshiva and beis medrash — that's from 9th grade through 3–4 years post high school. One became a National Merit Scholar/Finalist while there (Ruchel, that's a big deal!). My sons have told me me that it's possible to get a good secular education but you have to want it, and some boys don't. Even though there's only one class per grade, the math classes when my sons were there were split into two sections, one of them advanced.

My older son started in Scranton a dozen years ago, and it wasn't a place for problem boys then or now. All years are not the same, and sometimes they have had a year with a few problematic boys. Any boy who leads another into trouble gets booted out immediately. A boy who gets himself into trouble — I think they're a bit more tolerant but not very...

Scranton graduates can and do become doctors, lawyers, etc. (I know a few), although a majority end up in Lakewood at some point. Another yeshiva mother once told me, "Scranton boys make good husbands," and I think it's true!

I don't know the community well except for spending an occasional Shabbos there, but the people who have hosted us and whom we have met are friendly and accepting, and there appears to be some hashkafic diversity. The only real concern in Scranton is jobs.

I have a feeling my boys know your boys-my started there around 13 years ago.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 10:20 am
Wow ok! I don't know why I was told we were too lax for Scranton!
Don't yeshivish people mind the separating so late?
My local community school (really most ppl are not shomer) separates in 6th grade.

shanie5

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 10:22 am
Ruchel wrote:
Wow ok! I don't know why I was told we were too lax for Scranton!
Don't yeshivish people mind the separating so late?
My local community school (really most ppl are not shomer) separates in 6th grade.

People see what they want to see.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 10:43 am
Can I ask if they separate tables (like not sitting together in the classrom at the two-person table, unless they have individual tables?), recess, "social" things, and if yes when?

shanie5

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 1:33 pm
Individual desks for each child. Usually by 3rd or 4th grade they have the boys in the front and girls in the back, (or vice versa), or the girls on the right and the boys on the left. The kids pretty much separate on their own.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:22 pm
4th to 6th grade is separate for Jewish studies and 7 and 8th grade are completely separate but in the same building .

amother

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 9:07 pm
hi,
just wondering if there is any update with regards to the school and the education- if the "person" has been successful in improving it and what that involved? I noticed that they now have newsletters online.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 11:09 am
Is there a kollel there? Do you have a contact number?

shanie5

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 7:33 pm
amother wrote:
Is there a kollel there? Do you have a contact number?

No kollel anymore.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 1:39 pm
Out of curiosity-any updates in the local community? Have more people moved in/jobs available etc? Thanks!

shanie5

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 9:17 pm
We've had an influx of chasidim in the past few years. 15-20 families would be my estimate. Jobs-I think that situation is the same, but dont know for sure.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Feb 08 2019, 1:09 pm
I’m considering Scranton. Can you update me on some changes? Also,appx how many families are part of the community in Scranton?

Will Heimish chasidish style fit in? Does anybody commute to NY?

shanie5

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:57 pm
Define Heimish chassidish.
I just reread the thread and found it to be the same. The yeshiva did just start up a new kollel with 5 families.
My guess is there are 125-150 families here, but it's just a guess.

Soul on fire

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 11:52 pm
Bumping this to find out how the community compares now to this old post. we are considering a move to Scranton in the coming months.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating