Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
A few easy sides/kugels

Petra

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 3:06 pm
Okay. suffice it to say I can't do complicated and intricate this year. I just have too much on my plate. I need some easy recipes for sides or kugels.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 3:11 pm
Can you get Israeli Couscous (like Osem brand)? I cook up a package of that and add sauteed mushrooms and onions, along with some soup mix and spices. Not the healthiest, but yummy!

Roasted red potatoes are the easiest! Also other roasted veggies. I plan to make roasted zucchini like this.

Apple crisp is relatively easy too.

happy12

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 3:22 pm
Apple crisp is relatively easy too.[/quote]

Do you have an easy recipe? I would love to make it for yomtov.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 3:34 pm
Truthfully, apple crisp is one of those things I don't use a recipe for. I basically cut up any type of apple (I find that any flavorful one works, I do not recommend Red Delicious apples for this) and sprinkle some cinnamon and a drop of lemon juice over them. I also add some canned cranberry sauce. The crumble is basically a mixture of flour, sugar, brown sugar and oats. Cinnamon if you like and vanilla can work too. Add margarine and mix until you get a good consistency (I usually use 1 stick and then add oil if it needs more). Taste it to make sure it's sweet enough and then crumble on top. Bake at 350 for at least a half hour or until the apples are soft.

Petra

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 3:35 pm
good ideas!

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 3:42 pm
I never do complicated or intricate ;-)

Rice
Roast veggies - literally cut up, drizzle olive oil and whatever spices, bake.
Green beans - sauteed in olive oil and garlic with soy sauce
Sweet potato kugel - boil and mash, add sugar and/or orange juice, add a couple of eggs
Tuna salad

(sorry, I don't really do exact recipes!)

June

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 3:50 pm
really easy and so, so yummy:

http://morequicheplease.com/20.....ugel/

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 4:19 pm
a few of my favourites: (getting bored of these so need some more...)

roast baby potatoes - mix with salt, pepper, rosemary, EVOO. For slightly fancier puree some onion and garlic and mix in as well. Roast for about 40 minutes-1 hour on about 400. (keep an eye on them...)

super easy rice:

2 cups uncle bens white rice, 4 cups water, some onion soup mix, soy sauce and oil. Mic, bake for about 40 mins on 350 or till water evaporated and rice is cooked.

or rice pilaf - cook up a bunch of onions and mushroom, peppers etc. then add the rice and double the water and let it cook.

roast parsnips. season, drizzle with oil and cook.

myself

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 4:58 pm
Raisin wrote:

roast baby potatoes - mix with salt, pepper, rosemary, EVOO. For slightly fancier puree some onion and garlic and mix in as well. Roast for about 40 minutes-1 hour on about 400. (keep an eye on them...)

Do you leave your oven on over y"t?

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 5:04 pm
myself wrote:
Do you leave your oven on over y"t?

no. I normally make this friday night. But I guess it would reheat on the plata.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus