Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Openings in OOT Kollel for next year?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 5:33 pm
Hi! We are looking looking to move OOT kollel later on this year or next year. We like what we have heard regarding Cincinnati but heard there is not an opening now. We have looked into Dallas and Houston Texas and Cleveland.
Do you know if there are openings in the kollel there? How would we go about finding out- by calling a number found on one of the shul sites?
Do you know of another OOT kollel community similar to Cincinnati (as in affordable housing, tuition, strong schools, sense of community without strong judgment. ...)? We are litvish frum open minded yeshivish... If that helps!
Thanks for your help!
Anon as have been discussing this for the past few months:) looking forward to your replies!

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 5:40 pm
Try minneapolis. Not sure if they are still looking because we just got a few new kollel families, but it sounds like the community you described. Smaller then Cincinnati but a strong yeshivish community. Torah academy, bais yaakov and Yeshiva.

Www.mnkollel.org

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 5:41 pm
A relative just moved to Detroit as part of a kollel there. That might be an option for you.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 5:47 pm
Thanks for the ideas! I will look into them. Anymore info would be great:)

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:30 pm
Contact AJOP (ajop.org), I am pretty sure that they maintain a directory.

Bear in mind that many OOT kollels pay commiserate to their region's cost-of-living. A kollel in an expensive area is likely to pay more, so the salary should balance out.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:09 pm
I believe that the Kollel in Kansas City may be looking for 1 or 2 new families. It's quite affordable in terms of housing and tuition, and a very warm and welcoming community. The one drawback is that the only schooling option would definitely not be described as "strong." Still might be worth looking into.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:33 pm
I think it's a little early for kollelim to know whether there will be openings in a year from now.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:02 pm
Dallas has a great kollel with a Kiruv bent. They didn't add any guys this year so that means there is a good chance there may be openings for the next year. They provide subsidized townhouses and heavily discounted tuition. It's called DATA, you can look on their website. Right now most of the guys or all, not on purpose, are from Ner Yisrael.

We love Dallas! If your looking for oot, then Dallas is awesome because it's the same reason everyone else is here, they all want to be here. Is rare to find a family native to Dallas lol

amother

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 8:32 pm
Thanks everyone for replying! In case anyone else is following this thread- I found out that there are 4 openings in the Dallas kollel. There may or may not be later on this year.... We will see where we end up! Hoping to start spending shabbosim in different communities in a few months. So exciting!!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 8:34 pm
amother wrote:
I believe that the Kollel in Kansas City may be looking for 1 or 2 new families. It's quite affordable in terms of housing and tuition, and a very warm and welcoming community. The one drawback is that the only schooling option would definitely not be described as "strong." Still might be worth looking into.

Thanks! Do you mind describing the school in more detail? Do you know of a website or number I can call for more research? I really appreciate it!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 7:17 am
amother wrote:
Thanks! Do you mind describing the school in more detail? Do you know of a website or number I can call for more research? I really appreciate it!

The school is a community school, where some of the kids come from homes that are not kosher or Shomer Shabbos. This resulted in many frum families moving away when their kids reached a certain age. Then Chabad opened up a school, but it primarily attracted the few Lubavitch families and a handful of others. Then Several years ago the day school began a track called "matmidim," which is for the frum kids, and gives them a few hours a day (don't know how many) of advanced Torah subjects. But the rest of the day is still combined, and certainly coed.

There used to be 4 kollel families, but now they're down to 2, both of whom are excellent and really committed to the community. I've heard that they're looking for more, but need somebody who understands what they're getting into and is committed to making it work. On the plus side, I think they pay quite nicely, the cost of living there is very low, and the entire community is very warm and united.

For more info, the kollel's web page is kckollel.com, and the Orthodox shul (which is Young Israel style) is biav.org. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions, and I'll do my best to answer.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 10:21 am
Hi! Any updated info regarding OOT kollel openings? Thanks:)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating