Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ds refuses to taste new foods

luckysunshine

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 8:39 am
My 8 year old son refuses to eat chicken, meat, fish, and eggs and I'm at a loss as to how to get him to eat protein. I can't disguise it in anything, because he refuses to taste new foods. He lives mainly on macaroni and cheese, pizza, cheese blintzes, cheese sandwiches, pancakes, and fruits and vegetables, and of course any junk food if I allow it. Oh, he will eat hotdogs at times....Anyone been through something like this? Did anything work for you to get your children to taste new foods? Is there hope for change or do I continue giving him the only (and not healthy) foods that he eats? I'd appreciate any ideas you may have.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 8:52 am
Roasted chick peas? Cholent? Lentil burgers?

morah

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 8:56 am
Let it go. Cheese is protein. The foods you mention don't have to be unhealthy, and it's actually quite easy to disguise things in them. Slip an extra egg or some protein powder in the pancakes. You can also put in a vegetable purée, and he will never know. Mac and cheese is also good for doctoring in a healthy way. He will try new foods later. Don't make an issue of it, leave the option open, but don't pressure him.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 8:59 am
I was like this. it was a sensory issue for me. I really hated a number of textures on my tongue. I ate dairy products and hot dogs or bologna. I started eating chicken on my own when I was 18. I drove my mother nuts. one thing she successfully got me to eat was tofu, and only by blending it with aunt jemima pancake mix. we had tofu pancakes. we never saw her add the tofu, but we figured it out eventually.

I'd say I turned out fine, but I do have some nasty digestive problems. not really sure I can blame the food, though, it seems to run on both sides of the family. just do the best you can, and don't drive yourself nuts. as long as he's not starving, you're off the hook.

2gether

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 10:39 am
My brother was just like that. My mother introduced new foods s-l-o-w-l-y.
We also had a rule; you have to taste the food,but you don't have to finish it. Don't worry in the end he grew out of it!

By the way, we were never rewarded for eating. Applause

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 10:44 am
In my velt, we taste. Every time. With expectation that we get used to most of it over time, certainly once an adult.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 12:01 pm
Leave him alone. Most of my kids (all grown and married now) were like that at that age, and now as adults almost all of them eat most things and try new things, etc.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 12:22 pm
Ruchel wrote:
In my velt, we taste. Every time. With expectation that we get used to most of it over time, certainly once an adult.

What if the kids refuse to taste? I was a VERY picky eater growing up and am determined my kids should NOT be. But alas they do have my genes and are very finicky about tasting new foods (mind you even junky ones like a different cake or nosh).

We really try to implement a 'must taste everything' rule. But many or most times they just refuse. How do you get them to willingly taste? Many of the foods I make I know they will love I just can't get them to taste it enough times.

Sometimes it works for me (depends on which kid) to offer 1 chocolate chip for every spoon they taste. Some foods became family favorites like that (and no they don't get chocolate chips for it anymore). But many times that incentive just doesn't work.

So Ruchel how do kids just taste?

luckysunshine

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 12:41 pm
Thank you everyone. I wish he would just taste the foods..I tell him he doesn't have to eat it, just taste it. Maybe letting it go is the thing to do..nothing else seems to be working anyway.

debsey

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 12:52 pm
I reward brave tasting! Not eating - just taking one bite and seeing if it's to your taste.
Other than that, I don't stress about weird/picky tastes. As long as you are getting some form of protein, some form of whole grain, and some form of fruit/veggie, I'll ignore your preferences.
But my kids know I mean business about the bottom line.
I had a son who wouldn't eat ANY protein food. We had a thing about cashews and almonds - he had to eat a certain amount at every meal. He knew that was non-negotiable, so it wasn't a struggle.
And then one day, out of the blue, he said "pass the meatballs...." and that was that. DK what caused the phase, Dk what stopped it.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 12:53 pm
I don't know. How do they clean up their room, or any thing a parent deems important?
Sometimes they won't, and you let it go, especially if it's indeed a bit odd. Sometimes they refuse and you tell them it's not a choice. Or no dessert if they won't taste. But I don't make it as a toive for me. It's about their own ability to eat something when not cattered to by mama... about eating at school, at friends, anywhere people won't listen to their preference, so better at least be able to try.

cbg

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 1:00 pm
What if he helps you cook. Try to find easy recipes and let him prepare dinner. Maybe he will be more apt to try it if he made it.

luckysunshine

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 1:27 pm
cbg wrote:
What if he helps you cook. Try to find easy recipes and let him prepare dinner. Maybe he will be more apt to try it if he made it.

We tried that..it didnt work. He wouldn't even taste what he cooked.

luckysunshine

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 1:29 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I don't know. How do they clean up their room, or any thing a parent deems important?
Sometimes they won't, and you let it go, especially if it's indeed a bit odd. Sometimes they refuse and you tell them it's not a choice. Or no dessert if they won't taste. But I don't make it as a toive for me. It's about their own ability to eat something when not cattered to by mama... about eating at school, at friends, anywhere people won't listen to their preference, so better at least be able to try.

He doesn't have an issue listening to anything else I ask him to do..it's only with food..he refuses to taste anything new..it's like he has this fear..I don't know.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 1:35 pm
luckysunshine wrote:
Thank you everyone. I wish he would just taste the foods..I tell him he doesn't have to eat it, just taste it. Maybe letting it go is the thing to do..nothing else seems to be working anyway.
Sometimes I find that if I consciously do not offer the food, it works better. For example, serve him the dinner he likes. Bring the other food to the table in serving plates. Pile food onto your plate and do not offer to him. Eat as usual. After he sees this dish at a few dinners he may say he wants to taste it. Maybe.

PAMOM

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 1:36 pm
Dd and Dh both have texture issues with food. I didn't want a kid with an eating disorder because I obsessed but I needed a healthy kid. We kept a food diary for a month ( pediatrician's suggestion), explaining to dd that we just needed to make sure she was eating enough to have a healthy body. All I did was write down -- no cajoling or arguing. After a month, the dr looked at the diary, made 1-2 suggestions to dd while I kept quiet, and dr said she'd be fine . Dd is now out of teens and eats more than I even thought possible ( despite apparently living mostly on chips for a year in Israel). Why? Lack of my pressure? Presence of peer pressure? Aging taste buds? Who knows? Who cares? Her room is in my house so had to meet my standards, but I fr she should have more control of her body.

luckysunshine

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 4:40 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Sometimes I find that if I consciously do not offer the food, it works better. For example, serve him the dinner he likes. Bring the other food to the table in serving plates. Pile food onto your plate and do not offer to him. Eat as usual. After he sees this dish at a few dinners he may say he wants to taste it. Maybe.

Thanks for the suggestion. We tried that for a while..he never thought twice about tasting the foods he wasn't used to Smile

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 5:10 pm
luckysunshine wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. We tried that for a while..he never thought twice about tasting the foods he wasn't used to Smile
He seems to be getting his protein, starch, fruits and vegs so you can probably just leave things well alone.
My friend's kids are similar and when we were arranging dinners for her family it was fun Smile

supty

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 12:13 am
My toddler is like this. He literally lives on yogurt, Mac n cheese, and pizza. Once in a while some fruit. His ped told me not to push him, just to keep offering and if doesn't want just leave him alone. I can't say it has helped him eat more, but it's definitely made things easier for me! I just hope he eventually grows out if it because always worried that he's not eating enough...

amother

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 11:40 am
My dd is like that.
I read an article about picky eaters and 1 line resonated with me and changed my view.
It went something like this
"My mother kept me alive on a steady diet of grilled cheese and tator tots"

Thats it. Your goal is to give him enough food to keep him alive. Makes it easier when you think like that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics