Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Wish me luck - have a job interview this week

rachel6543

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 9:34 pm
I'm nervous and excited. Have a job interview this week. I've been at my current company 7-8 years, so it's been a long time since I've interviewed. My current employer is downsizing and having layoffs, so it's very depressing where I currently work. I still have a job, but not sure for how long realistically. I updated my resume 2 weeks ago and started applying and already have an interview. Several of my old colleagues work at the company I'm interviewing with, so hopefully that will help. Please wish me luck!

lk1234

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 9:41 pm
good luck- its nice to go on a job interview when you still have a job. It sort of takes off some of the pressure so that you don't feel (or act) so needy.
Hope it goes well!

sunlight

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 9:46 pm
G'luck to you! May you find a job quickly and easily, and one that you enjoy.

rachel6543

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 11:57 pm
I think I may have a serious opportunity with this company. After talking with a few people who work there, it's definitely a very different company culture than what I am used to. Apparently, much more formal and hierarchy-structured than what I am used to in many ways. I'm hearing a lot of positive things, but there definitely a few issues that I'll have to seriously consider if I get an actual job offer. Will wait and see what happens at the job interview later this week.

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 12:10 am
Good luck! Sounds promising!

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 12:15 am
Your only task is to get yourself offered the job.

Evaluating if you would want to be there is a separate matter, and is dealt with later, as your views and feelings develop, and as events may develop.

You may be asked, in a subtle or direct way, how you would feel and deal with coming from a rather different set-up to this one. Just present as a respectful controlled person with a pleasant manner who is happy to be there and is not passing judgment on anything. It won't be hard. You will be impressed.

In a larger place of course there has to be more structure.

Don't sink back into chairs, that makes it hard to get up and hard to talk. Don't fidget and don't look around obviously, look around discreetly.

Do a lot of listening. Be pleasant and stay on message.

Be extremely sweet to the receptionist(s). When you work there, you will need her as an ally.

Look quite nice.

Even though they have your resume, spare them the copying job by bringing two or three more copies of it with you.

It sounds good.

cfriedman2

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 12:18 am
From an hr point of view just to state the obvious- don't ask abt compensation until your offered the position. It's rude and not professional

rachel6543

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 7:32 pm
cfriedman2 wrote:
From an hr point of view just to state the obvious- don't ask abt compensation until your offered the position. It's rude and not professional

Yep, I definitely agree with your advice. I'm not too concerned about $$ at this point and not planning on bringing it up at the interview. If I get an offer, will finalize then, but I expect it would be the same or more than I'm currently making.

Also, on another good note, a different company also contacted me about a job I applied to. Playing voice tag on the phone with that recruiter today, but can't believe got contacted already.

rachel6543

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 8:49 pm
Had the job interview today. Interviewed with 5 managers, it was a long afternoon. But I think the interview went really well. Will hear back in a week or so if I'm getting an offer.

rachel6543

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 9:46 pm
Here's my update, didn't get the job I interviewed for earlier in the month, but it was a good interview experience and company. I actually applied to some more jobs there that were just posted.

However I did have a different interview today with another company. Interview went fine, I have the skills needed (very specific in my industry) and I think I'm a good fit there, so I think there's a reasonable chance for me to get an offer, I just don't know how many other candidates are also being considered. But I don't 100% love the company and actual type of work and it's a farther commute, but if I get an offer I can probably negotiate for a good salary increase.

I also started applying to a bunch more jobs and already heard back from another recruiter, hoping to get some additional interviews soon.

I'm still currently employed, but not sure for how long. Current manager indirectly threatened last week I could be laid off. I dislike my current manager, she's not a good boss. Several coworkers just quit and my coworkers still left are also unhappy with her and are looking for new jobs. Morale is really low on my team. I like my current company, just not her, and she's making things difficult for us. I think it's time for me to change and find another company to work for.

Thanks for listening to my ramble. Wish me luck on the continued job hunt for something more stable and less stressful.

rachel6543

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 7:30 pm
yay, I got a job offer today!!! 90% sure I'm going to take it. It's just I had 2 other job interviews already scheduled that I'm checking out tomorrow. What a way to start the new year!

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 7:39 pm
rachel6543 wrote:
yay, I got a job offer today!!! 90% sure I'm going to take it. It's just I had 2 other job interviews already scheduled that I'm checking out tomorrow. What a way to start the new year!

get all your offers before making a decision. Most places will give you some time to do that
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics