Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
A life destroyed in minutes

cbg

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 10:57 am
I don't know how many people saw this video, but here it is.

Pass it on.

singleagain

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 11:20 am
this was part of the chofetz chaim's 9 b'av video. definitely something everyone should keep in mind.

Simple1

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 12:54 pm
Interesting

amother

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 1:25 pm
Can't watch YouTube can someone say what it's about?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 10:09 pm
amother wrote:
Can't watch YouTube can someone say what it's about?

gittelchana

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 10:16 pm
cbg wrote:
I don't know how many people saw this video, but here it is.

Pass it on.

So sad, yet so true.... Crying

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 10:51 pm
Very good video.

Jeanette

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 10:56 pm
A bit silly and over the top if it's meant to be a serious message. For a humor video it falls kind of flat.

If we are supposed to take it seriously I would have preferred something based on a true story with details disguised.

r1

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 10:58 pm
can someone post a link? nothing comes up in the original post.
thanks in advance!

singleagain

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 3:09 am
Here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go64XCodp5k

and here is a transcript:

NARRATOR:
At 2:30 pm, Shlomieh R. a melamad at a local cheder is in the butcher shop paying for a prime rack of lamb.

BUTCHER:
That'll be $132

Rabbi R. pays the butcher, butcher gives him the bag, woman behind Rabbi R., pulls out her phone

NARRATOR:
And so it begins...

Zoom in on phone, message to Rivky K. it says:
Can't believe my son's Rebbe is buying a rack of lamb. No wonder tuition is out of control.

Zoom to Facebook, Rivky K's status updated:
Our kid's Rebbe is buying a rack of lamb while we eat chicken. Something is very wrong with this picture.

Zoom to Twitter, Moish L. tweets:
Rabbi R. is spending way past his pay grade. What gives?

Zoom back to Rivky K.'s Facebook, status likes are raising as comments are written:
Leibel C.: He was in my bunk in camp, he was always a bit weird, off in his own world
Shaindy N.: They tried to redd me a shidduch with him, Boruch Hashem it didn't work out
Likes hit 75

Zoom to phone message, Bayla T. it reads:
His brother is my sister's neighbor. She always tells me they just LOVE food.

Zoom to email:
Subject: The Rabbi R. issue
To: Pinky
cc: Daf Yomi Shiur

Zoom to message:

Between us, I never liked Rabbi R. I don't think he's a good role model for our sons.

Reuven

Zoom to Elisheva B.'s phone, it reads:
My Bruriah was his daughter's counselor at camp. You should only know what a tip she got.

Zoom to email:
To: All the parents of Rabbi R.'s shuir

Zoom to message:
There are some serious issues with our children's Rebbe - should we talk to the Mehanel about this?

Pinky

----Forwarded Message----
[Reuven's first email]

Zoom to new email:

He seems ok to me, are you sure about this?

Zalman

Pinky Wrote-----[Pinky's first email]

Zoom to new email:

Where there’s smoke there’s fire. I think we should meet with the menanel and nip this in the bud.

Zalman {note: this is probably a goof and should be read Shimmy}

Pinky Wrote-----[Pinky's first email]

WOMAN ON PHONE:
I know it’s not my business, but my cousin in LA, saw that people are saying all kinds of things about your husband.

Rabbi R. goes to door knocks, it opens, he hands bag inside

RABBI R.:
Here’s the rack of lamb you asked me to pick up for the sheva brachos. It was exactly $132.

Door closes, Rabbi R. turns to leave

NARRATOR:
By 2:53 over 400 people in the community now think they know there are serious problems with Sholmo R. And the news is spreading to Monsey, Lakewood, Longs, Chicago, Miami and LA.

During list of cities, cut to Rabbi R. walking into his home

RABBI R.’s WIFE:
Shlomieh people are saying crazy things about you. Did you really spend $100 at the butcher?

NARRATOR:
At 2:29 Shlomieh R. was a beloved Rebbe, and a respected member of the community. By 2:55, less than a half hour later, his reputation as well as that of his wife and children, were destroyed. In the time it took for Shlomieh to walk home, over 400 people became convinced that he was actually loaded with unexplained money, and might be a poor role model for his talmidim in the cheder.
Only, none of it was true.
If Loshon Hara is like a gun that can destroy a person, Loshon Hara on the internet is like a weapon of mass destruction.
How many people have been ruined like this?
How many times did we destroy the BH”MK today?
Next time you’re about to send or forward an email, text, or post about someone
Think before you click.

singleagain

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 3:20 am
Jeanette wrote:
A bit silly and over the top if it's meant to be a serious message. For a humor video it falls kind of flat.

If we are supposed to take it seriously I would have preferred something based on a true story with details disguised.

In my opinion: I do not think it's meant to be a humor video. And it's certainly not (again, in my opinion) over the top for a serious message.

How do you know it's not based on a true story? Or several true stories combined?

The Chofetz Chaim Heritage foundation created it as part of their DVD shuir for this past 9 B'Av, it was subtitled The last Tisha B'Av. This was only the second or third time, since the CCHF has been doing these shuirim, that they spoke about LH. And it was probably the first time about LH on the internet. We don't seem to realize the power of our words. Especially, with the speed of today's technology.....

Heyaaa

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 3:45 am
I personally found it hard to take mussar from an example that was so unrealistic.
I don't think even one of the interactions in the story could have happened. Each scenario was so out there that it was hard to connect to:(

However, if they would've taken something more true to life, people would've thought they were talking about a specific scenario and not taken any mussar either and it may have even brought people to talk even more lashon hara about the chosen story.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 9:40 am
So true. I have been victim of something like this several times. and probably a perpetrator too. Sad

Ema29

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 10:02 am
Heyaaa wrote:
I personally found it hard to take mussar from an example that was so unrealistic.
I don't think even one of the interactions in the story could have happened. Each scenario was so out there that it was hard to connect to:(

However, if they would've taken something more true to life, people would've thought they were talking about a specific scenario and not taken any mussar either and it may have even brought people to talk even more lashon hara about the chosen story.

I think that, pathetically enough, this was VERY true to life. People text the stupidest things and press send before they ever run it through their cerebral cortex. This garbage happens all the time. And if you are fortunate enough not to have experienced stuff like this - count your blessings!!! But I don't think it is that difficult to transfer it over to a story more realistic to you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics