Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Cooking Beets for Dummies

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 7:25 pm
embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed I have never made beet salad before, but would like to do so for R"H. I have the beets....now how do I cook them? Do I peel them before boiling? How long do they need to boil for?

TIA!

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 7:31 pm
I keep the peel on, otherwise you lose a lot of the nutrients in the cooking water. Boil until a fork goes in without too much effort, watching that the water doesn't boil out. You can also wrap in aluminum and bake in the oven at 350. Once it's cool the peel just slips right off.

ruth

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 7:32 pm
I'm not cooking the beets this year. I am making a raw shredded beet salad.

You can also bake them (scrubbed & unpeeled, like a potatoe). 60-90 mins. soft enough to poke with a fork, not too it makes them very rich tasting. peel once cool.

when I boil, I think it loses a lot of flavor. The boil time depends on: size of beets and if you are quartering them. a beet the size of a tennis ball I would half. then boil for 45-50 mins (check after 1/2 hour) Again, just poke them with a fork. drain and cool. (btw, I just scrub & trim the dirty parts and then and then peel after cooking its easier

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 8:27 pm
I peel and cut them in cubes. I roast them with sea salt and herbs de provance with olive oil drizzled on them at 350° for around a half hour. I stir a couple of times while roasting.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 8:28 pm
I bought canned.

lattemom

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 8:32 pm
I just recently found out how incredibly healthy beets are and have been making them almost very shabbos.

I peel about 4 large beets, cut them in cubes, put them in a square tin, cover and bake at 350 for 1.5 hours. They come out really sweet.

Pineapple

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 12:25 pm
lattemom wrote:

I peel about 4 large beets, cut them in cubes, put them in a square tin, cover and bake at 350 for 1.5 hours. They come out really sweet.

Any water?

How long does it last?

Dina_B613

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 12:54 pm
Check out this article "10 Ways to Cook with Beets" -

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/.....eets/

lattemom

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 12:49 am
Sorry I didn't respond before.

I don't use any water and I usually eat them within a few days. It re-heats nicely.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics