Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is this a good infant carseat?

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 4:36 pm
Amazon has the graco snugride classic on sale for umder $60 as per this link:
http://kosheronabudget.com/gra.....ever/
Is this a good infant car seat? I am actually in the market for a new infant carseat, since I threw out my previous one after the last kid outgrew it and I now have a newborn. The one review on kosheronabudget says it is not good for most newborns. Anyone know anything about this seat?
Also, if this isnt such a good one, can you give recommendations for good infant carseats? I am willing to spend a bit more on it. Last time I bought the cheapeat one available and regreted it every single day, till I dumped it.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 4:45 pm
The problem is that the straps have to come out from below the shoulders, and the straps are too high in this seat for most newborns. Also, the straps adjust in the rear, which is a major pain.

A good seat that is relatively inexpensive but easy to use and fits well- is the graco snugride 30 or 35. If you want to spend more there are others, like the chicco keyfit 30.

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 4:47 pm
Thanks. I dont necessarily want to spend more, would love if I can get a great seat for relatively cheap. But if I have to I am willing to spend a bit more to get something good.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 4:51 pm
The snugride 30 and 35 are great seats, no need to spend more unless you had a specific reason (like needing something extra narrow, or able to fit an especially tiny newborn).

scrltfr

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 5:27 pm
I used the britax chaperone. It's expensive but is great. I just took my almost 14 month out of it. He used it since he was born and he was tiny. Go on amazon and read reviews.

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 10:33 am
Another carseat on sale and this one comes with a question-is an infant carseat necessary or can I get a convertible right away? Any reason either option is better?
The Graco My Ride 65 LX Convertible Car Seat is on sale on amazon. It says it can go from 5 lbs. Is it good?

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 11:39 am
I can't tell you about that particular carseat, but there's not need to get an infant carseat instead of going straight to a converttible. Many people just like the convenience of being able to carry the infant car seat by the handle and using it in a snap n go type frame. It's especially nice when baby is sleeping. You can take them out while they are still sleeping in the car seat. Nice, but not necessary.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 11:49 am
Myride should fit newborns and it's perfectly safe. You should know that it's a bulky seat, so if you don't have a lot of room in your car it may not be a good choice.

ETA what is the sale price? You can probably get a comparably priced convertible seat that will not be as bulky and will last a little longer (unless you have short kids)

Last edited by MaBelleVie on Wed, Sep 24 2014, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

SRB

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 12:00 pm
I have the Greco modes click connect travel system which includes the Greco snugride infant car seat. I love the whole thing - grows with your child and works as a snap n go with the infant seat. It's sold at Babies R Us

mandr

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 12:28 pm
I had the Maxi Cosi Mico AP and was VERY happy with it. It's light enough, and so cozy for a baby, especially while he's sleeping in the car. His head stays in one place without it lolling all over like in the Graco, which is all open on the side. It also clicks into several types of strollers.

mommy27

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 12:40 pm
I had a similar graco carseat. The straps adjust in the rear. This is a big pain. there are other graco car seats which adjust in the front (you can see a strap coming down in the pictures from the front bottom) and that's what I have now and it's a lot better. Don't get this one. It's worth an extra 20- 30 dollars to not adjust straps in the back, let alone any of the safety and fit issues.

miami85

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 3:47 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
Another carseat on sale and this one comes with a question-is an infant carseat necessary or can I get a convertible right away? Any reason either option is better?
The Graco My Ride 65 LX Convertible Car Seat is on sale on amazon. It says it can go from 5 lbs. Is it good?

Graco carseats have been known for safety, even the 22lb carseats and the price is usually one you can't beat. Unless you have REALLY heavy kids, then the typical guideline is that babies triple their birthweight in the 1st year. The average newborn is 7-8lbs. triple that is 21-24lbs--so I have found 22lbs sufficient--more than that you won't carry the baby in the carseat.

As for is an infant seat necessary, you CAN use a convertible--as long as your baby is not a premie you COULD go that route, but then you have to take baby out of the carseat every time you come home, and it's a tough call to wake a sleeping baby. Many moms have found it useful to be able to just take out the carseat and click it into the stroller.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 4:33 pm
Almost all kids outgrow carseats by height before weight- just something to keep in mind. Different seats have different height limits, as well as restrictions such as space between top of head and car seat/ top of ears and car seat/ harness strap placements in relation to shoulders.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics