Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Having a checklist for Shabbat and Yom Tov

amother

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 11:33 pm
I heard recently that it is assur to have a menu or checklist that you use on Shabbos and Yom tov. Does anyone know about this. I am a needier of lists and have no idea how I would manage without it. How will I remember who is coming for which meal. How will I remember what to take out of the freezer. Help?!?!?

momx6

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 12:40 am
I had the same problem! My rav said that I can laminate the menu so this way I could see it but can't edit it. I've been doing this for years, for every single YT!

ETA if you can't laminate it you can put it in a sheet protector and tape it closed.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 12:46 am
momx6 wrote:
I had the same problem! My rav said that I can laminate the menu so this way I could see it but can't edit it. I've been doing this for years, for every single YT!

ETA if you can't laminate it you can put it in a sheet protector and tape it closed.

I don't understand. What is the inyan here? The fear that you would, by intent or by accident, actually take out a pen on Shabbat or YT and write something down or change something? Isn't that extremely far-fetched?

momx6

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 12:48 am
amother wrote:
I don't understand. What is the inyan here? The fear that you would, by intent or by accident, actually take out a pen on Shabbat or YT and write something down or change something? Isn't that extremely far-fetched?

I think that's the issue.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 4:36 pm
there are also those who do not read anything in english (secular) on shabbos and yomtov. this falls under that category.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 6:00 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
there are also those who do not read anything in english (secular) on shabbos and yomtov. this falls under that category.

What about a street sign if you need to know where you're going? I can't imagine anyone saying that is assur (and if you know someone, I'd like to know who by name) and I think that a list of this sort (once laminiated or otherwise to avoid that problem) is in that kind of category as it isn't reading anything for pleasure.

And what do people do who don't read another language?

I think this sounds ridiculous.

chani8

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 12:51 am
The main reason is that you might come to edit it, but there is also the inyan of what a person is allowed to read on Shobbos.

They're both chumrot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions