Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Chol hamoed ideas for young kids

miami85

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:50 am
Looking for an idea for 2 young kids, small budget to do during chol hamoed in greater NY area (including anywhere in LI). Somewhere 2 young kids can be little kids and won't be too crowded. Sunday or Monday.
Thanks

Pineapple

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 10:11 am
What do u consider a small budget?

miami85

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 10:22 am
the cheaper the better. Preferably under $10pp.

Pineapple

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:43 pm
Queens zoo
White post farms
Staten island children's museum
Prospect park zoo

Any place you go on chol hamoed will be packed some more than others

doctorima

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:52 pm
No matter what you do, the key to beating the crowds is to get out as early in the morning as possible. My kids love having places relatively to themselves, and then seeing the crowds struggling to find parking as we leave after spending 2-3 peaceful hours enjoying the activity.

singleagain

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 8:39 pm
Museum of natural history has a high "suggested" donations price, but you can give them whatever, and they have dinosaur bones, I'm 28 and was geeking out.

Alternatively, if they like a different subject, there are so many museums abd many will have kid/student or otherwise discounted price.

miami85

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 12:06 am
Anything else? My kids have simple tastes anything that involves cars/trains/planes etc will excite them doesn't have to be expensive. Any ideas involving the LIRR?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 12:34 am
Staten island ferry. Take the train to get there, the ferry itself is free. There's a playground where you can stop before riding the train home.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 12:41 am
Find out if there is anywhere at JFK or LaGuardia where you can watch the planes take off and land. We did that at Newark when my kids were little and they were fascinated.
I agree with Staten Island Ferry. We did that a few times and they all loved it. And it's Free! The Staten Island Childrens Museum is nearby, not expensive, the little kids really liked it. There's a botanical gardens in the same place and a zoo nearby. We had a great day hanging around there.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 12:50 am
So take the train to get wherever you're going. If the weather is good, take a train to Central Park and pack a picnic. Hit the zoo for bonus points; how bad can the crowding be, most people will probably be going to more "exciting places." If the weather's lousy, Children's Museum is a better bet, hope not too many people have the same idea? Most Children's Museums have some nice vehicle exhibits. WAIT - here's a lead - I don't remember the specifics but I once went to a children's museum by railroad I think from Penn Station or Times Square or something like that, gorgeous train ride up the Hudson River, to a really nice children's museum that is probably far enough out not to be too packed on chol hamoed and probably perfect for your kids. Museum was maybe 2 blocks from train. No recollection of price. Maybe it was in Poughkeepsie? Might have been this: http://www.mhcm.org/web/play

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 12:52 am
Staten Island Ferry is a nice idea. Note that some attractions including museums may be closed for Columbus Day which I think is this Monday.

miami85

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 1:17 am
seeker wrote:
So take the train to get wherever you're going. If the weather is good, take a train to Central Park and pack a picnic. Hit the zoo for bonus points; how bad can the crowding be, most people will probably be going to more "exciting places." If the weather's lousy, Children's Museum is a better bet, hope not too many people have the same idea? Most Children's Museums have some nice vehicle exhibits. WAIT - here's a lead - I don't remember the specifics but I once went to a children's museum by railroad I think from Penn Station or Times Square or something like that, gorgeous train ride up the Hudson River, to a really nice children's museum that is probably far enough out not to be too packed on chol hamoed and probably perfect for your kids. Museum was maybe 2 blocks from train. No recollection of price. Maybe it was in Poughkeepsie? Might have been this: http://www.mhcm.org/web/play

sounds like a nice idea, will keep it in mind, might be too far for tomorrow.

miami85

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 6:29 pm
So today we ended up doing something really great--we took the LIRR out to Long Beach. Kids got to play in the sand, and we overall had a great time. Weather was beautiful. Boys loved the train and bus ride and seeing the boats in the water. Cost including food/drinks and transportation total $30 and we were home before 6pm!

sky

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 9:03 pm
If you need for other ideas - someone mentioned to me the NY MTA Transit museum. I've never been there but it sounded interesting. (especially if you like trains)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries