Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you call the cops on your neighbors
Previous  1  2

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 5:41 pm
In my opinion, if you DONT call the cops, then you should also be arrested. A lot less crimes would be committed if not for bystander syndrome. People who hear or see a crime and choose to do nothing about it. A concept I personally can't understand.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 5:43 pm
I would just worry that next time the abuser would try to make sure she can't yell so no one hears and calls the police- that would be my hesitation.
And to Ff and the abused amother Hug Hug

shanie5

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 6:08 pm
One night we had a neighbor standing by her front door yelling "someone call the police". I know that I was not the only one who called.

Interestingly, it was the women who was yelling that got arrested-not whoever she was fighting with.

debsey

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 6:47 pm
I don't see the halacha shayla here. She sounded like she was in imminent danger. If so, you call for help! Where's the question? It's an emergency, or could be.

granolamom

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:32 pm
I have called the police in a situation like that. I did not know if the couple was jewish and I did not even stop to think about it. when you hear a woman screaming 'get off of me, youre hurting me I cant breathe' and a man shouting all sorts of things I cant post here, I cant imagine you have to call a rov first. by the time you reach a rov, the incident is over and they might not even still be there. why wait for next time?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:41 pm
1. Considering the outcome of your story, how can you think that it was a mistake?

2. If they were Jewish you probably have an even greater obligation to call for help.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:44 pm
debsey wrote:
I don't see the halacha shayla here. She sounded like she was in imminent danger. If so, you call for help! Where's the question? It's an emergency, or could be.

I witnessed an incident in my block. At the time I didn't realize what I was seeing. The victim asked me to call the cops next time I saw the same thing. My rov said that I can't call the cops on a fellow Jew even if the person is being menaced. I could call someone else who could call the cops.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:48 pm
amother wrote:
I witnessed an incident in my block. At the time I didn't realize what I was seeing. The victim asked me to call the cops next time I saw the same thing. My rov said that I can't call the cops on a fellow Jew even if the person is being menaced. I could call her someone else who could call the cops.

this is shameful. this is why people like weberman get away with atrocities.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:49 pm
amother wrote:
I witnessed an incident in my block. At the time I didn't realize what I was seeing. The victim asked me to call the cops next time I saw the same thing. My rov said that I can't call the cops on a fellow Jew even if the person is being menaced. I could call her someone else who could call the cops.

With all due respect to your rov (and that's not saying much), someone should remind him that "You do not stand idle by your neighbor's blood."

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:56 pm
amother wrote:

So what was your rav's solution for helping a fellow Jew who is being victimized?

debsey

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:21 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
So what was your rav's solution for helping a fellow Jew who is being victimized?

THIS. Ask the rav - what do I do next time?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:25 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
With all due respect to your rov (and that's not saying much), someone should remind him that "You do not stand idle by your neighbor's blood."

I reported your post. You are disrespectful.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
I reported your post. You are disrespectful.

actually, I'm reporting your post as disrespectful. it's against the rules of this site to hide under "amother" to insult someone.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:27 pm
debsey wrote:
THIS. Ask the rav - what do I do next time?

I edited my post because I left an extra word in the last sentence. I could call someone else who could call the cops.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:30 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
actually, I'm reporting your post as disrespectful. it's against the rules of this site to hide under "amother" to insult someone.

Go for it. She has no business distressing anyone's rabbi. Maybe you can report this also.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:33 pm
amother wrote:
Go for it. She has no business distressing anyone's rabbi. Maybe you can report this also.

no. but I can ask you why, if you feel so strongly about this, you're cowardly hiding behind amother?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics