Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can I put my newborn directly in a cot?

invisiblecircus

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:19 am
With my first DD, I put her in a Moses basket for the first 10 weeks before moving her to a cot.

I hadn't really thought about it in advance, we received the Moses basket as a gift but I had read that it is better to put babies into something more enclosed at the beginning.

I was quite nervous with her in the Moses basket though because I had to get out of bed to check her every time. Once I put her in the cot I was much more relaxed because I could just open my eyes and see her.

I'm thinking of putting my next baby straight in the cot. Is this a bad idea? Do they really need to be in a more enclosed sleeping environment for the first few weeks?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:21 am
invisiblecircus wrote:
With my first DD, I put her in a Moses basket for the first 10 weeks before moving her to a cot.

I hadn't really thought about it in advance, we received the Moses basket as a gift but I had read that it is better to put babies into something more enclosed at the beginning.

I was quite nervous with her in the Moses basket though because I had to get out of bed to check her every time. Once I put her in the cot I was much more relaxed because I could just open my eyes and see her.

I'm thinking of putting my next baby straight in the cot. Is this a bad idea? Do they really need to be in a more enclosed sleeping environment for the first few weeks?
Many many people put babies straight into a cot (im assuming you are talking about what others call a crib)

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:35 am
The main reason I put my infants in something smaller at first was to fit them in our bedroom more easily for night feedings, and because it was easier to scoop an infant in and out of than a crib/cot.

But I don't think there is anything wrong with using the larger sleep space right away. It's all about what works best for you, as long as you follow safety rules.

ElTam

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 11:38 am
I only used a bassinet/Moses basket for my first. The other two went straight to the crib (cot). We had sleep sacks that swaddled them, so they felt cozy and safe.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 12:47 pm
I would say it's fine. I did it.

Rainbows613

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 12:55 pm
Nothing wrong with it-your baby will adapt but you can roll up blankets and put around the cot to make it more enclosed and snuggly for the baby

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 1:50 pm
Back in the day, I was told there must be no covers in the cot.

The kid could suffocate, as he/she is so immobile at that age.

Nothing at all, not a toy or stuffed animal, nothing. Bumpers were ok. Pacifyer was ok. Crib mobile was very good, if the safe and approved kind with no bits that could be pulled off and swallowed. The crib mobiles are an important source of imagery and of sensory stimulation.

ElTam

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:09 pm
Blankets can be a suffocation risk. To make the baby feel secure, look for something like this. You only need two. So the baby can be in one while the other is in the wash.

http://www.halosleep.com/sleepsack-swaddle/

The company (Halo) was founded by a dad who lost his baby to SIDS, lo aleinu. All of their products are designed to be safe for infants.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:42 pm
I think the baby will feel fine in a normal onesie or whatever. Some say the hands should have air, to keep the skin on the palms dry, cool and healthy.

After a good quality cot or crib, the next stop is a normal twin bed with a first rate mattress.

smss

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 3:13 pm
it's fine from a safety perspective, but some newborns feel safer in a more enclosed, small area- that's what they're used to. you can try it out, and if your baby doesn't seem happy in it, you can always try a bassinet then.

smss

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 3:14 pm
if you're just doing it so the baby will be visible, you can get a pack n play with a bassinet & you'll be able to see through the mesh. or an arms' reach co sleeper.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 11:34 pm
I hear you, but the old place was a heated swimming pool. That's not coming back.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 2:04 am
Rainbows613 wrote:
Nothing wrong with it-your baby will adapt but you can roll up blankets and put around the cot to make it more enclosed and snuggly for the baby

As others have said, this is NOT considered safe. It is not ideal to use any blankets for a newborn, but certainly to roll up extra blankets to put around the baby would be considered a suffocation danger.

smss

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:50 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
I hear you, but the old place was a heated swimming pool. That's not coming back.

lol dolly Wink
they actually make a bathtub that's supposed to replicate the "old place" let me see if I can find it
http://www.amazon.com/The-Orig.....ROBMM
(most expensive plastic bucket I've ever seen)

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 12:24 pm
There is no need for that. The kid has gone on, and so should we.

But I appreciate your dry humor about the most expensive plastic bucket. Hee hee!

People have to have confidence in their kid. He / she knows how to be a kid.

There are things we should do in a modern way, and there are things we should do in a very old way. Let us extend to the baby an animal welcome. If your pet can do that, so can you.

That's why I gave pacifyers. I figured people had been giving their kids some kind of knotted bit of sugar-soaked rag, or a bit of smooth wood, to suck on, since time immemorial. Of course the Nuk is infinitely better, and no, sugar isn't good. But you get the idea.

Let us drive down the middle of the road.

Each kid will tell you what he needs, if you listen.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 5:56 pm
Sure you can.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics