Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
My house stinks - hafrashas challah

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 3:00 pm
what temp and for how long do you leave the dough in the oven to burn it?

chani8

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 3:21 pm
I don't burn it at all. Double wrap it in a bag, wait until it starts to spoil, then toss it.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 3:27 pm
I save my little balls of dough in the freezer and burn it all by biyur chometz.
It's not a good idea to put separated challah in the oven. It has the same halachos as treif. (It's too kadosh for us and we are too kadosh for treif)

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 4:06 pm
Iymnok wrote:
I save my little balls of dough in the freezer and burn it all by biyur chometz.
It's not a good idea to put separated challah in the oven. It has the same halachos as treif. (It's too kadosh for us and we are too kadosh for treif)

not everyone holds that this is an issue. I burn mine in the oven while my dough rises.

smss

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 4:12 pm
my halacha rav in seminary said that it is better to double wrap & throw it out than to burn it, because it's treif & burning it can create kashrus issues. (there are ways to do it, but he felt throwing it out was the best way to deal with this.)

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 4:20 pm
I asked a shaila after a friend told me she learned it is problematic in seminary. I was told it's preferable not to burn it while baking the challah. I looked it up in a sefer after, and that sefer stated that burning while baking was fine/the customary way to do it. there are obviously different opinions on this, and I would ask a rav you'd take all your other kashrus shailas to.

cbg

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 5:12 pm
I burn my challah. I triple wrap it and squash it as flat as I can so it burns faster. I put it in the oven at 500 degrees. When I smell something burning I let it cool in the oven, then I place it in a grocery bag and throw it out.

Pandabeer

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:09 pm
also put the dough in freezer and burn a whole batch in the backyard

oliveoil

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:26 pm
We hold that you cannot burn it with the challah in the oven, but you should burn it by itself, and it's better to wait rather than saving it all up.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:30 pm
cbg wrote:
I burn my challah. I triple wrap it and squash it as flat as I can so it burns faster. I put it in the oven at 500 degrees. When I smell something burning I let it cool in the oven, then I place it in a grocery bag and throw it out.

OP here. THis is what I did that made it smell, DH put it in the oven on 500 and considered it burnt after 2 hours! My house still smells and it is many hours later!

cbg

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:33 pm
[quote="amother"]OP here. THis is what I did that made it smell, DH put it in the oven on 500 and considered it burnt after 2 hours! My house still smells and it is many hours later![/quote

Mine burn in 15 min. I squash it very flat.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 4:02 am
We used to squash it into a tuna can and cook it to a crisp on the burner. I don't have the patience anymore.
Is it better to do immediately? Maybe I'll start doing it that way again

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 11:00 am
Iymnok wrote:
We used to squash it into a tuna can and cook it to a crisp on the burner. I don't have the patience anymore.
Is it better to do immediately? Maybe I'll start doing it that way again

I read in a halacha sefer (Guidelines) that its not good to put in the freezer and save it till pesach because since it may get mixed up and someone may accidentally eat it. Also better to do a mitzvah ASAP and not push it off.

teddyb

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 4:40 pm
amother wrote:
I read in a halacha sefer (Guidelines) that its not good to put in the freezer and save it till pesach because since it may get mixed up and someone may accidentally eat it. Also better to do a mitzvah ASAP and not push it off.

Yes

I once popped some matzah balls I had in my freezer into the soup....

except they looked weird when I served them.... cause they weren't kneidelach Confused

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 5:12 pm
teddyb wrote:
Yes

I once popped some matzah balls I had in my freezer into the soup....

except they looked weird when I served them.... cause they weren't kneidelach Confused

YEAH AND CHALLAH IS TREIF AFTER BEING TAKEN...oops, sorry about the caps

I wrap mine twice and put it in the garbage. I was advised that this is the best way to teach people to do it because of all the mistakes that can happen with burning.

DON'T BURN
DON'T SAVE TIL PESACH.
WRAP TWICE AND THROW OUT

Caps this time for emphasis.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 5:14 pm
Iymnok wrote:

I think that this is not advisable. Usually people who do this find out that it is better to throw it out when it is taken after wrapping twice. Not sure why but have never heard of a rav who knew the topic suggesting this. it seems to be a made up thing. challah once taken is treif.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 5:15 pm
smss wrote:
my halacha rav in seminary said that it is better to double wrap & throw it out than to burn it, because it's treif & burning it can create kashrus issues. (there are ways to do it, but he felt throwing it out was the best way to deal with this.)

yes. this.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 5:38 pm
I put it right on my gas burner and let it turn to charcoal before wrapping and discarding in the trash.

The "fire sale" smell doesn't bother me. I rather like it.

Frumdoc

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 7:00 pm
I double wrap and throw in trash. As advised by my halachic authority.

Levtov

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 7:25 pm
I, too, put it in foil and flatten dough till very thin. Then I throw it into toater oven for a long while, since it is not being used while baking in the oven. It doesn't smell up the house and it burns to a crisp...then I discard it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen