Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Lyrics needed, please.

Choirmistress

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 2:02 pm
I need the words to the following:

Ashir LaKel, Light Up My Way, and Ya'alat Chain, all from Rochel Miller's first album, Tehilas Hashem; no lyrics card or sheet was included with my cassette copy, and I'm hard of hearing; with the first of these three, Mrs. Miller seems to have learned an altered or curtailed version; of the second, I am missing only part of the second line of the chorus, after "What you see, my friend, is the way of our Torah"; and of the third, I have all the words I could make out, but I would like them confirmed;

MBD's Lichtiger Shabbos (audio copy won't help; see above), and I intend to do a singable English translation;

two choir songs, one in 3/4, one in 4/4, both naming one instrument after another and a Hebrew-syllable imitation of its sound; one of these may be a round ("Hachatzotzros go rah-rah-rah..."; "Hashofar tokaya, bah-ba-bam ba-ba-ba ba-am...").

Thanks in advance to anyone with the missing words.

Regards,
Choirmistress

(OY, vhat I could do mit a choir!)

hanna2010

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 7:06 pm
Hachatzotzros rah rah rah rah
uvachalili li li li li li li
menagein kinor miri ror miri ror
pa-am harishon bidi bum bidi bum
pa-am hasheini bidi bum bum bum

Are you a music teacher? I am. Perhaps we can exchange ideas/lyrics?

Choirmistress

Post Tue, Jul 29 2014, 11:57 am
Thank you very much, Hanna! For your prompt reply and for the useful personal information. I could certainly use some advice from a music teacher! Firstly, on conducting a choir, and secondly, on finding someone to transcribe the dozens of songs in my head onto paper that a musician can then read and play. (See my third or so post under my version of The Tzniyus March.)

As to your lyrics, I remember only the first two lines. Somehow I don't remember the subsequent ones in your version. Did you take them from memory, or do you have an officially published/recorded source?

What I DO seem to remember is something like

Ha________ [two forgotten syllables] bim bim bum bim bim bum,
Hakinor rim rim rum rim rim rum.
Ha________ [two forgotten syllables; nay-VEL, perhaps?] bim [down about four notes] bom bom [back up] bom.

One thing I dislike about this song (and any others that do the same), even if I like the subject song(s) in general, is the uneven number of measures. You see, I am such a stickler for rhythm that I count along in my head not in fours but in eights and even sixteens. The Mission: Impossible Theme and Take Five drive me nuts.

And Jewish composers are not immune from this affliction. I think it's Aish Vol. II that has a Vayehi BiYshurun Melech that does it too. Ofra Chaza's Chai does it. Shelly Lang's Choneni does it. And one of the early D'Veykus albums has that Muzak-sounding (think supermarket loudspeaker or public-building elevator) version of Meyain Olam Haba that does it.

Anyway, thanks for your version. I'll save it to a Word file, and iy"H next time (unfortunately, only after my year of aveilus for imi morasi is over) I attend a Toronto get-together of the Shiru Lo Singing Group (far too seldom and irregular for my comfort), I'll try it out on the other women.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Choirmistress

Choirmistress

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 5:03 pm
I can wait for the other lyrics, but I urgently need the correct and complete words, in either Latin or Hebrew characters, to Lichtiger Shabbos.

I already translated the first verse and the chorus. Now I need the rest, please.

Any information, including where on the web to find the lyrics, would be appreciated.

Again, in view of my hearing loss, listening to a recording would not help me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Choirmistress

rachel91

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 5:25 pm
I found it on youtube, but it's very hard to decipher the lyrics, since it's not very clear.
If I have time, I will try to do it tomorrow, since it's late here by us already.
Good luck

oliveoil

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 6:30 pm
Honestly, if it's urgent you're probably better off hiring someone to do the job.

Choirmistress

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 9:16 am
Thank you, Rachel! Much appreciated.

Oliveoil: My cousin in Flatbush has written out the words from what her husband was able to make out from the CD (yes, they went to that trouble and expense for me), so I am expecting my brother n"y to phone me today (at the office) or tonight (at home) that his office fax received the faxed copy from her.

And I can't afford to hire anybody to do anything. (Literally living from paycheck to paycheck.)

Meanwhile, I still appreciate the efforts of everyone on the board, and anyone here is still welcome to send her version, as I can then even more confidently confirm the words.

Gratefully,
Choirmistress

Choirmistress

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 11:56 am
RADIANT SHABBOS

The head spins with sorrows
From yesterday to tomorrow;
The children grow so fast --
When_could_they reach that shelf?!
Years are escaping us;
Life's busy shaping us;
Never a moment to think of oneself.

But happy is he
Who keeps Shabbos with glee,
Given from Heaven to us Jews alone.
Established to spare
Us_from_all mundane care,
Bestowing a radiance
That only_we have known.

The sun is now setting;
For Shabbos we're heading;
The table is set with
The challahs and wine.
Delight fills each heart;
Souls feel a fresh start;
The candles are glowing;
On_the_whole world they shine.

Oh, and happy is he....

The Next World's fine taste
Is_felt_in Shabbos' grace,
Along with the angels
At_their_Heavenly feast.
We sing all as one;
The tastes are like Man;
The foods and the drinks
Are all fresh-smelling treats.

And happy is he...

(L'ilui nishmos horai hayekarim Yoel ben Yehudah Aryeh v'Sima bas Yitzchok Eizik a"h.)

Enjoy. If in doubt about how to fit the syllables to the rhythm, just post a request and I'll revise the words with bold for stressed beats and hyphens for syllables to be slurred together ("tightened").

Choirmistress

(My apologies for the delay. The translation itself took about half an hour. The typesetting was a witch-with-a-capital-B.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics