Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Yom Kippur: Fasting While Nursing
Previous  1  2

curlytop

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 12:22 am
Mama Bear wrote:
yes it's safe while pregnant., it's $15.00 a can and it's enough for more than 1 person (or if you want to save it for another taanis)

What is it, a drink? How bad is it? My husband is such a bad faster, he was in bed since 12pm today, I think I should sign him up! Though he would need a little convincing....
Maybe I will mix it in his drink in the kitchen or something Wink

bella123

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 7:19 am
can you buy this in the uk?

Mommastuff

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 10:10 pm
curlytop wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
yes it's safe while pregnant., it's $15.00 a can and it's enough for more than 1 person (or if you want to save it for another taanis)

What is it, a drink? How bad is it? My husband is such a bad faster, he was in bed since 12pm today, I think I should sign him up! Though he would need a little convincing....
Maybe I will mix it in his drink in the kitchen or something Wink

the orange tastes like Israeli Petel. The lemon tastes too fake for my tastebuds. I'll find out if it works.

Mommastuff

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 5:09 pm
Didn't help me. wondering if it helped anyone else this fast?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 4:44 am
Can u get the shaklee stuff in RBS? If so, where, and how much does it cost?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 5:15 am
Can u get the shaklee stuff in RBS? If so, where, and how much does it cost?

mandr

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:57 am
Drink a beer erev Yom Kippur. Drink lots of water this week, but with enough salt or electrolytes to retain the water. Vitamin Water Erev Yom Kippur for extra Vitamin B.

Don't bother worrying because a) it might be better than you think and b) worrying wont' help.

I obsessed like crazy before Tisha B'Av and managed just fine bh. One of my easier fasts, if anything! I was nursing my 8 month old then and he was nursing full-time (wasn't really giving solids yet). And it was summertime when I needed tons of drinks to feel normal.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 11:19 am
What works for me is:

Performance by Shaklee
VitaPak (available in local groceries)
Caffeine/tylenol suppositories

I'm a TERRIBLE faster - and when I do the above, I dont even know I'm fasting.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 1:02 pm
I'm nursing my 1 year old a lot and just found out I'm bh pregnant...any tips? I'm generally a terrible faster Sad

Terri

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 1:08 pm
Mamabear, what's vitapak-what's the company? Thanks
I would think extra sugar in these performance drinks would only contribute to a sugar crash, no?

mandr

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 1:09 pm
Terri wrote:
Mamabear, what's vitapak-what's the company? Thanks
I would think extra sugar in these performance drinks would only contribute to a sugar crash, no?

No, drink the Vitamin Water Zero. You don't need the sugar.

Terri

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 1:14 pm
Does that have artificial sweeteners? That might be even worse...

How many cups need to be drunk in order for it to be effective?

mandr

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 1:17 pm
Terri wrote:
Does that have artificial sweeteners? That might be even worse...

How many cups need to be drunk in order for it to be effective?

It has Stevia so it's not artificial. I like to drink 2 bottles of vitamin water (one regular and one Zero) on an erev fast day. If you're anyway drinking, this is prob better than water, which washes the nutrients right out of your body if you have too much of it.

Liebs

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 1:24 pm
mo5 wrote:
Even if he won't take a bottle, it's worth having a couple of bottles of expressed milkso in the freezer. If he's really hungry and someone else offers it, he just might take it.
I find that the end of the fast is the worst, and it takes some time after the fast to get back to normal.

In terms of milk supply if hydrated beforehand then YK will be ok but Sunday baby may be kvetchy.
Also lay in bed as much as you can. Nurse while in bed will be easier for you. I was pleasantly surprised tisha b'av. Also eat almonds before.
Easy fast to e/o!

mandr

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 1:26 pm
I was also pleasantly surprised by Tisha B'Av. This time the fast is over earlier so I hope to be able to break my fast before nursing my baby to sleep. Maybe you can do that too? Like this you know he's well fed before going to sleep (that means a lot to me Smile ).

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 9:13 am
Thanks for all the tips.

I'm debating if it's wiser to stay home with the kids to ease strain (ie the walk and stairs) or if the "distraction"of davening in shul is helpful (with a sitter for the kids)...I have a really hard time fasting and this year bh pregnant + nursing

syrima

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 10:51 am
I vote for you to stay at home in bed and hire a preteen to watch the kids in the afternoon.

boysrus

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 11:06 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for all the tips.

I'm debating if it's wiser to stay home with the kids to ease strain (ie the walk and stairs) or if the "distraction"of davening in shul is helpful (with a sitter for the kids)...I have a really hard time fasting and this year bh pregnant + nursing

oh gosh, dont go to shul! stay home and get somebody to come in adn help wiht the kids for a little bit! I am nursing htis year and my Rav told me better to stay home and focus on getting through the day, than to go to shul or even daven at home. the mitzva of hte day for you is to fast. good luck to all of us!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics