Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Got full time job; resign from part-time job? (long, sorry)

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 2:31 am
I recently finished my B.A. and decided to start looking for a job. I didn't really care what it was (I applied for lots of administrative assistant, data analysis, etc. type jobs), I just wanted a paycheck while I figure out the next stage of my career.

Over the summer, I was applying EVERYWHERE for jobs. I had profiles on indeed.com and glassdoor.com and checked the job boards at local colleges, etc. I was sending resumes and cover letters left and right.

One week I saw an ad in a Jewish newsletter for a non-profit looking for a very-part time employee (6-8 hours a week) to do some data entry, scheduling and other adminstrative-assistant-ish jobs. I dutifully did my hishtadlus and sent them a resume/cover letter, and lo and behold, I got an email back a day later inviting me for an interview. I interviewed, impressed the boss, and got the job a few days later.

But it was REALLY a very part-time job -- I could even do about 3/4 of the work from home with an internet connection -- so I still kept applying for jobs. On a whim, even though I don't have teaching certification, I applied for a teaching job at a frum school. I LOVE teaching and am seriously thinking about it as a career, and I figured I might as well try, right? It's August and they might be desperate enough to hire me.

And hire me they did, after a week or two of interviews and model lessons.

And so now I'm a first-year, full-time teacher. AND THAT LEAVES ME WITH NO SPARE TIME.

My boss at the non-profit is a tzaddik, and he gave me a raise ($2 more an hour, but still, a nice gesture) as soon as he realized I'd be doing other things, but he also asked me to start doing some more creative work -- writing the organization's newsletter, updating their Facebook page regularly, etc.

But now that I'm teaching, my first job is just simply falling to bottom of the pile every single time. By the time I can even think about it, it's 1am and I don't have a single creative thought in my brain anymore. Maybe I could do some mindless data entry, but when I'm googling "non-profit newsletter examples" just to have an IDEA of WHERE to START writing... and the deadline is in two days...

I've already told my boss numerous times I'd like to quit so that they can hire someone who will do the job properly, and he keeps offering to temporarily relieve me of various jobs "until things calm down".

I know a month into the school year (especially Tishrei!) isn't very far, but I've pretty much stopped doing anything for the non-profit at all, except for about 2 hours meeting in person with my boss every week and a half or so. I don't know when things will get easier for me... it may not be for a loooong time.

How terrible of me would it be to just unequivocally resign? Would "burning this bridge" (and I mean that in the most respectful, amicable way possible) ruin my reputation with my boss and his network of people? I really truly just want this wonderful organization to have the work done right; they certainly deserve someone who will put the proper time and effort into their publicity and everything...

chani8

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 2:57 am
What part of "I want to quit" does your boss not get?

You're just being too nice. Firm and clear is appropriate. "I'm really enjoying my teaching job and I can no longer work for you now."

If quitting is going to burn bridges, then those are not the people you need in your life anyway.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 10:45 am
bump

self-actualization

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 11:58 am
I agree - you should quit the non-profit job. Staying on when you can't really do the work only sets you up for bad feelings later on. The boss is likely a controlling type of guy, so you need to be very firm with him.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 12:05 pm
I agree with Chani8. You can't kill yourself or both jobs will end up suffering. Or your family will.

imasinger

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 12:52 pm
Yup.

Give a couple of weeks' notice. Say, "I appreciate the way you have tried to make it possible for me to keep working with you, but it just isn't going to work out. X will be my last day. I can complete Y project, but not Z. I've really enjoyed working with you, and if I have the time, maybe I can do some work for you next summer."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics