Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How long does an open package of dry yeast last for?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 6:40 pm
I got a huge package of dry yeast. I still have a lot left. Its been open one year. I just noticed that the best by date was 7 months ago. I have not noticed any difference in my baked goods.

Would you continue to use this yeast? Do I need to throw it away?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 6:44 pm
It lasts a really long time, even once opened. I would have no problem continuing to use it until pesach time.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 6:45 pm
thanks for the quick response. what happens pesach time? why would it suddenly go bad then?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 6:54 pm
Could be that nothing happens. I just know I'm comfortable using it after it was opened for a full year which would be around pesach time. After that it might still be good or it might not. Not sure I ever had a package opened that long.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 7:12 pm
the yeast has already been opened a full year. I opened it sep 2013. The exp date is feb 2014.
are you saying its good one year after opening date or one year after best buy date?

rachel6543

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 7:28 pm
I recommend freezing open packages of yeast. Mine stays fresh and lasts a long time doing that.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 7:32 pm
thats a good idea. does it freeze solid or can I use it straight from the freezer?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:
thats a good idea. does it freeze solid or can I use it straight from the freezer?

You can use it straight from the freezer. I always do that.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:23 pm
I freeze mine, just pop the whole bag into a ziplock bag and leave it. It does not freeze solid, it's granular, and I use it straight from the freezer. It lasts for years. BTW yeast is not chametz and you don't have to throw it out Pesachtime.

In any event, you should always proof yeast before using. It takes no time, really, and will save you lots of grief should the yeast in fact expire. Just mix the yeast with 1/2 c. or so warm--not hot--water and 1 tsp.-1T. sugar and let sit for 5-15 minutes. It should turn frothy. This is really easy to gauge if you mix in a clear glass bowl or large measuring cup--you'll see the froth layer on top and the watery layer below. If it doesn't froth, give it another 5 min. If still nothing, it's probably dead. Be sure to deduct the "proofing" water from the total liquid volume in the recipe.

If you're afraid to use warm water lest you kill the yeast, you can use room temp water, but the reaction will take longer.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:24 pm
I'd use it until Pesach if doughs were still rising properly. Last year my big package of yeast lost its punch after several months. I keep yeast in the fridge.

baker1

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:49 pm
Its funny, because I keep mine in my fridge and I throw it out once every 2 months and buy a new package. I really really find that my Challah comes out the most fluffy when I have a brsnd new package of yeast.
Many times I will offer it to my cleaning help,I was told by more then 1 person that dry yeast does not stay too good for too long. It will not spoil but just yield better, fluffier pastries.

Good Luck!

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:53 pm
If you mix a teaspoon of it into warm sugar-water, you will see if it foams or not. Wait five minutes. If not, it's dead. If it hardly bubbles, it isn't strong enough to use.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:37 pm
baker1 wrote:
Its funny, because I keep mine in my fridge and I throw it out once every 2 months and buy a new package. I really really find that my Challah comes out the most fluffy when I have a brsnd new package of yeast.
Many times I will offer it to my cleaning help,I was told by more then 1 person that dry yeast does not stay too good for too long. It will not spoil but just yield better, fluffier pastries.

Good Luck!

Try keeping it in the freezer, not the fridge.

aqua1

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 4:11 pm
try proofing it and see if it bubbles, if it does, its still good. but for the future, try to keep yeast in the freezer.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 4:58 pm
thank you everyone! I am putting the yeast in the freezer now because Id hate to throw it out since it still works!

Rainbows613

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 5:17 pm
Yup as others say put it in the freezer-according to Tamar Ansh-the challa expert it lasts forever in the freezer and it works beautifully!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics