Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Rally vs. Met Opera: Death of Klinghoffer

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 7:49 am
I am posting here, in response to a post re: "the rally against antisemitic opera" which was "in the News" forum, where anonymous posts are not allowed. Since I've spoken out about this rally to many people, I wanted to post anonymously here.

A poster said that the opera wouldn't arouse terrorist or antisemitic feelings, and that those attending the rally didn't even know about the contents of the opera. Whoa. I think you misspoke.

Please read about the rally online. Read the letter from Judea Pearl, father of Daniel Pearl, that was read. Read about the other victims of terror who spoke. Read about the speakers, Jews and non-Jews alike who spoke passionately that this opera should not be performed. Not now, not ever.

This opera doesn't tell a story about the terrible death of Mr. Klinghoffer. It tells the feelings and the ideals of the terrorists. When terrorists are portrayed as people with ideals and beliefs, listeners begin to view their actions differently. People become understanding.

You should know that the Met received an anonymous donation of 1 million dollars to put on this opera. No other Met opera received an anonymous donation. This is not a new opera. It was written in 1991. Many areas, including Boston, refused to show it. Obviously, money talks. Think about it. Whose money, and who understands that this will help the cause?

How can we allow an opera which takes the murder of a man simply because he was a Jew to be shown from the side of the terrorists? Especially now? How does one just dismiss it like old war films? Can you imagine an opera about 9-11 from the side of the terrorists?

The opening date for the opera is scheduled for later in October. If the Met doesn't cancel it, additional rally will be held then.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 1:51 pm
I hadn't heard about any million dollar donation. Google showed nothing. Can you share a link?

Barbara

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 2:22 pm
I haven't seen the opera. A colleague, who has a season subscription to the Met and is an opera aficionado, tells me that he is familiar with the work, and that it is anti-Semitic. Indeed, the Met itself states that “Death of Klinghoffer” tries to show the “humanity of the terrorists.”

From what I read, the opera begins with an Arab girl watching Jews shoot at, beat and chase Arab women and children from their homes. Israeli Jews are accused of “razing” and “laying waste” to Arab homes in 1948. Then it asserts that Jews "massacred" Muslims in Sabra and Shatilla (untrue) and that this "justified” the murder of Klinghoffer (because, hey, one Jew is as good as another?). That it contrasts Jews cheating, exploiting, "polluting virgins" (whatever that means), breaking laws, and "getting fat from the poor" with the Palestinians, who sing, “We are soldiers fighting a war, we are not criminals, we are not vandals, we are men of ideals.”

The Met is certainly free to stage this opera. I, however, am equally free to protest against a work that is intended to "humanize" terrorists who murdered a man and then threw him overboard in his wheelchair for the crime of being a Jew.

Last edited by Barbara on Tue, Sep 30 2014, 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Barbara

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
I hadn't heard about any million dollar donation. Google showed nothing. Can you share a link?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=death+of+.....ation

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 3:13 pm
OP. The anonymous gift was mentioned at the rally. The speaker charged the press that were present to find out who gave the money.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 3:23 pm
Barbara wrote:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=death+of+klinghoffer+met+anonymous+donation
Odd that it's mentioned nowhere except on Jewish sites. Not even mentioned during the extensive coverage of the opera and its controversy.

Barbara

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 3:39 pm
amother wrote:
Odd that it's mentioned nowhere except on Jewish sites. Not even mentioned during the extensive coverage of the opera and its controversy.

Indeed, it is odd. The Jewish sites also don't mention how the terrorists were (presumably legitimately) "aggrieved," unlike the NY Times.

Are you suggesting that the Jewish press made it up?

Of course you are! That's why you're hiding behind amother. Because no one would make such an incendiary comment in her own name.

In fact, I'll bet you google real well, and knew about the allegations. But you rejected everything in the Jewish press as non-existent.

I'll go one further. I'll bet you're typing under a bridge.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 3:57 pm
Hey. I posted in the other thread and I assume this thread was a response to me. Not sure why she had to be amother, as it reveals nothing except she's concerned about an opera.

I have no time to write (on my way out the door) but I personally know about the donation. I just asked my husband about it (he's a Met subscriber) and he said that it was made in honor of John Adams. There's no reason to think it's some sort of terrorist organization. There would be more logical ways to spend a million dollars than to put on an opera that won't be widely seen, and won't be seen by anybody who would be particularly influenced.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics