Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Rebetzin Kanievsky's Etrog Jelly???

beroky

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 10:48 am
Hi mamas,
My husband, BH will be going to Israel for Yom Kippur tonight, and he will be in Bnei Brak. I wanted to know if anyone knew where he could buy etrog jelly that the Rebetzin used to give out to women. I asked him last year to ask around in Bnei Brak but no one knew what he was talking about. I thought maybe someone could give me a place to direct him towards Smile

Please let me know!! I would really appreciate it!
Have an easy fast! Gmar Khatima Tova!

joy613

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 11:28 am
Well first of all, it wouldn't be called Rebitzin Kanievsky's jelly anymore since she is no longer alive.
Has one of her daughters taken over this minhag?
Either way as far as I know, it was not something for sale in the stores. People got it from going to the Rebbitzin/Rav and she would give you a little. Maybe send someone to R' Chaim's daughter (kolodetzky?) who sort of took over the Rebbitzin's role and ask her if she has.

2gether

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 11:31 am
Make your own! It's not hard at all.

joy613

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 11:33 am
2gether wrote:
Make your own! It's not hard at all.

People specifically want the jelly from the esrog(im) that R' Chaim used over sukkos.

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 7:48 pm
Folks, I made etrog jam for many years but quit when a friend informed me that, because etrogim are not grown for food purposes, the regulations governing use of pesticides on produce do not apply to them. Since perfection is the name of the game with etrogim, pesticides are applied very heavily and the fruit is laden with every pesticide known to humankind. It's ironic that people eat etrog jelly in pregnancy as a segulah for a safe and easy delivery /beautiful child/whatever, punkt when they should be running away from anything hinting of pesticides. Unless the Kanievsky family grows its own or buys organically grown etrogim--is there such a thing?--you should NOT be eating this stuff.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 7:51 pm
my friend whose family sells etrogim told us that it is VERY much not advised to eat etrogim grown for sukkot. Because pesticides.

beroky

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 10:23 pm
Actually, you are all right. I looked it up and yes, there are CRAZY amounts of pesticides on etrogim because they dont want them to go bad since they need to look good for the mitzvah. BH I am trying to get it for the segulah of having a bit and the extra amazingness of having the Rav's etrog incorporated into it.

Do you think my husband would be able to go and get the jam from the Rebetzin's daughter? Doesn't she only see women?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics